Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 11:42 AM

930 posts, read 1,819,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I like a sandwich from Safeway before Subway or is Safeway Vons now? Get one made at their deli. I think every 8th one you get one free or something like that? Vegas does need a good sandwich..
I was also a fan of Vons deli sandwiches but changed my mind when I moved . The Vons store close to where I live now was not very good compared to the one I used to go to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 12:11 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,007,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
As we know when it comes to sandwiches, Italian, and Chinese food those states are it. We won't go into pizza.

I can get better Italian and Chinese in San Francisco by throwing a dart at a map of the city and going to the restaurant closest to where the dart landed. So the premise that the tri-state area is the be-all and end-all of Chinese and Italian is fundamentally flawed.

That being said, I've eaten at all the listed local favorites -- Capriotti's, Jersey Mike's, etc. And not one of them can hold a candle to a place like Scarpelli's in Connecticut. And just about every small town in the Tri-State area has the equivalent of a Scarpelli's.

But Scarpelli's is nowhere near as good as Molinari's on Columbus Ave. in SF.

When I want a great deli sandwich, I fly to Oakland on Spirit for $50 and take BART to North Beach and get a Molinari special.

And everyone already knows how I feel about the Tri-State claim that they have the best pizza.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:13 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,812,398 times
quiznos italian sub is pretty decent, no joke

Old 08-20-2015, 12:16 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,057,150 times
Oh for a REAL Italian or a muffaletta! Sure you can buy them here but it's not the real thing!

Old 08-20-2015, 12:23 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,306,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
Add another vote for Capriotti's.

Bill

Love Capriotti's. They actually have vegetarian turkey (among other unique veggie items). Love the Veggie Cole Turkey, veggie turkey, cole slaw, and Russian dressing. YUM.

Capriotti's Sandwich Shop | Menu

Old 08-20-2015, 12:24 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,969,800 times
Yea the tri state is the best but where in Vegas can a person get a sandwich that you talk to or makes you hum while eating it? I've had a Capriotti sandwich but they don't compare specifically the bread. Nothing to talk to or hum about.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:39 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,007,440 times
Not happening in this town. There aren't enough people willing to pay the extra to support such a place. Anyone who opened such a shop would hear the following 50 times a day: "Why should I spend $10 for a sandwich when I can go next door and get the same thing for $5?"

They don't want to hear that the bread and the meat cost more because it's better quality. As far as they're concerned, a sandwich is a sandwich.

This is why I would never start a business in Las Vegas -- 1) because shoveling cheap crap doesn't interest me; 2) I'm fearful that it would be a success, and then I'd be stuck here even longer. But if you open a place that offers as-good-as-the-tri-state sandwiches, I'll be first in line. If you can step it up to San Francisco quality, I'll be first in line all year, with a Lipitor prescription.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:02 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,792,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Love Capriotti's. They actually have vegetarian turkey (among other unique veggie items). Love the Veggie Cole Turkey, veggie turkey, cole slaw, and Russian dressing. YUM.

Capriotti's Sandwich Shop | Menu
I've never seen a turkey plant...

Old 08-20-2015, 01:36 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,306,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I've never seen a turkey plant...

Have you seen a soybean plant? That's where it comes from.

Capriotti's is the first sub shop I have found that has vegetarian options other than an all vegetable sub, and I appreciate that.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:41 PM

7 posts, read 11,136 times
For a decent Italian sandwich, I recommend:

1) Parmezan's on Eastern Ave (yeah, that's how they spell it). They have two varieties: the "Under Boss" Italian sub and the "Godfather" Italian sub. They are good, the bread is baked on premise. They also have good hot sandwiches (meatball, chicken parm).

2) Beach Hut Deli - surprisingly good sandwiches here.

3) Capriotti's - they are everywhere. Good-not-great sandwiches; the Italian is acceptable but not awesome.

Haven't tried yet but would like to:

4) Montesano's - their other Italian food is really good; I have high hopes for their heroes

5) Verrazano's - has a decent meatball sub; plan to try their Italian sub soon.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: