Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 10:11 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,011,620 times

Advertisements

I keep saying that the difference between real and fake olive oil is EXACTLY like the difference between real and fake maple syrup.

Anyone who has had real-deal maple syrup once in their lives isn't going to be fooled by imitations. So you don't see many counterfeits in New England. New Englanders are savvy about their maple syrup. (And not much else.) The problem is that so few Americans have had real-deal olive oil, EVER, that they wouldn't know legitimate olive oil if I cracked a bottle over their thick-headed skulls. They truly think that olive oil tastes exactly like canola oil. They're just too dumb to know better. And they don't want to educate themselves -- because then they might have to reassess all the [excrement] they shovel down their gullets.

It's just a whole lot easier for them to demand that their city has the best of whatever rather than travel the world to see for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 10:37 AM

119 posts, read 95,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I'm watching Food Paradise and the show is about sub sandwiches (Grinders). Now this question is only for those from the Northeastern U.S. States. Jersey, New York and Connecticut. As we know when it comes to sandwiches, Italian, and Chinese food those states are it. We won't go into pizza.

Well here is the question. Where in Vegas can a person get a real sandwich? I'm having a Lee's Hoagie House flashback. They were in Jersey..

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=xCKHU5lJOnQ
Windy City Beefs and Dogs. Get the Italian, au jus on the side and ask them to cut it in half. Lake Mead and Buffalo.

And now, I'm hungry. Thanks a bunch.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:47 AM

119 posts, read 95,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I keep saying that the difference between real and fake olive oil is EXACTLY like the difference between real and fake maple syrup.

Anyone who has had real-deal maple syrup once in their lives isn't going to be fooled by imitations. So you don't see many counterfeits in New England. New Englanders are savvy about their maple syrup. (And not much else.) The problem is that so few Americans have had real-deal olive oil, EVER, that they wouldn't know legitimate olive oil if I cracked a bottle over their thick-headed skulls. They truly think that olive oil tastes exactly like canola oil. They're just too dumb to know better. And they don't want to educate themselves -- because then they might have to reassess all the [excrement] they shovel down their gullets.

It's just a whole lot easier for them to demand that their city has the best of whatever rather than travel the world to see for themselves.
My favorite olive oil was bought directly from a farmer in Santa Barbara. Columela is pretty good, as well. A little cracked black pepper and some French bread. Yum. Agreed on the syrup. The best food I ever had was when I visited a family friend's ranch as a young teen. They tapped their own maple trees, and the chicken, eggs and beef were not bad either.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:40 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,971,862 times
I've had real olive oil in Spain. A strong taste from what I remember. They used it with everything. I order scrambled eggs and it was cooked in olive oil. Not good to me.

Maple syrup? Yup I grew up in New England area.. A huge difference between real and fake.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I've had real olive oil in Spain. A strong taste from what I remember. They used it with everything. I order scrambled eggs and it was cooked in olive oil. Not good to me.

Maple syrup? Yup I grew up in New England area.. A huge difference between real and fake.

Right. And the point I'm making is that we have people blathering on about "authentic" this and "traditional" that when it is very likely that they wouldn't know real olive oil or even real Parmesan if walked up to them and kicked them in the 'nards.

Most of the sandwich shops in this town use the same mediocre deli meat trucked in by the same mega-corporate food service trucks. How freakin' "authentic" can they possibly be? OP already touched on the fact that most sandwich shops in town use [excrement] bread. Again, this crap is trucked in by mega distributors. That's why everything in this town tastes the same -- uniform, mediocre ingredients yield uniform, mediocre sandwiches.

And most people don't care as long as it's cheap and filling. It's the same with pizza. I am absolutely astonished that we have a couple places off-strip that make quality AND are doing well in Las Vegas. I never would have thought that possible. I hope this trend continues. But I think this is the exception that proves the rule.

It reminds me of the joke: "I have good news and bad news. The bad news is the only thing left to eat is [excrement]. The good news is there's plenty of it!"

Old 08-25-2015, 06:07 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,954,139 times
Scoop and I have the inside track on *real* olive oil, hand-picked and pressed from the olivetos of Tuscany.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Scoop and I have the inside track on *real* olive oil, hand-picked and pressed from the olivetos of Tuscany.
Indeed. If that source ever drops by again, I've job hopped so they can't just drop by my old place of employment.

I'd love to buy more of their oil though. That was some of the best I've had. I'll just throw a dinner party for them next time.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:24 PM

256 posts, read 453,167 times
Quote:
Pretty well known by people from New York and New Jersey. There are millions of people in the Naples area who beg to differ.
I lived in Italy. I've had pizza in Italy. It's good but I can find some Sicilian descendants in Jersey that make pizza just as good.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:39 PM

8,420 posts, read 4,588,255 times
Scoop has some great advice about food and ingredients but I wish he wouldn't come off so hateful and bitter that everyone isn't as awesome as he is. It's a major flaw that probably prevents many from even trying his ideas. I know it took me awhile. I'm glad I can now filter out his need to point out his superiority and enjoy his superior tips only.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:41 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,954,139 times
Quote:
Indeed. If that source ever drops by again, I've job hopped so they can't just drop by my old place of employment.

I'd love to buy more of their oil though. That was some of the best I've had. I'll just throw a dinner party for them next time.
They come stay with us for a week every year around New Years. I'll let you know when they're back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: