Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 05:54 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,293,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
People often use the phrase, too close to home, to describe things that go on in their community. I consider it a misuse of the phrase. I'd like to give an example of a proper usage of that phrase. This morning, I woke up, and passed by the window that overlooks the strip. Every morning, I look out that window, and admire the scene. This time, the scene was different. Instead of the normally clear road that leads to the wash that stands between my home, and the strip, there sat a metro ambulance. I've never seen one like it before. I open my front door, and this is what I see.

Blurred on the left edge, you can see the corner of my house. To the right, also blurred, the tree I have to trim to appease the HOA. This is too close to home, my home.

Here we can see the crime scene photographer setting up to take a shot of the bloodied body, hanging out of a 90's economy Dodge product.

The policeman I spoke to wouldn't give me any details, but he said that it did not start here, it just ended here.
Great pictures EA! I tried to look it up online on the news outlets but didn't see any pictures or video yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I have not heard of a double. There was one at El Capitan and Alexander which involved three teenagers and a fatally shot 50 year old. That is purported to have been a burglary that went wrong. Got the perps with video from neighborhood security cameras which have become standard out here. You may get away with the crime but you will be immortalized on the video which follows.

there was also a shooting in the parking lot at Lake Mead and Tenaya...Whole Food lot. Supposedly though they knew each other and nobody was killed.
Lately it feels like the Northwest is seeing an uptick in these violent crimes. There was also this shooting that happened recently where the guy survived and said it was four men that did it at Torrey Pines and Smoke Ranch Rd. Man shot in northwest Las Vegas, says he was confronted by 4 men

Did they ever find the four people they were looking for in the El Capitan case? I remember seeing the pictures of the teenagers in this article. 4 sought after man found dead at northwest Las Vegas home

That shooting at the Whole Foods shopping center really surprised me. It's such a busy intersection. 1 hurt, 1 arrested after shooting at northwest valley shopping center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqibbcakes View Post
Pretty close to your house. Lone Mt and buffalo. Two or three months ago.
Here's the article on the Lone Mt and Buffalo double homicide. At least they caught someone in this case. Arrest made in slayings at northwest Las Vegas home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 06:15 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,850,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Great pictures EA! I tried to look it up online on the news outlets but didn't see any pictures or video yet.

Lately it feels like the Northwest is seeing an uptick in these violent crimes. There was also this shooting that happened recently where the guy survived and said it was four men that did it at Torrey Pines and Smoke Ranch Rd. Man shot in northwest Las Vegas, says he was confronted by 4 men

Did they ever find the four people they were looking for in the El Capitan case? I remember seeing the pictures of the teenagers in this article. 4 sought after man found dead at northwest Las Vegas home

That shooting at the Whole Foods shopping center really surprised me. It's such a busy intersection. 1 hurt, 1 arrested after shooting at northwest valley shopping center

Here's the article on the Lone Mt and Buffalo double homicide. At least they caught someone in this case. Arrest made in slayings at northwest Las Vegas home
They got three teenage guys in the El Capitan shooting. They said specifically they had talked to the girl and she was not involved.

These are actually three pretty different areas. The Tioga one is in the RNP...the horse properties...generally about the safest place in town other than the Sun Cities. Does though get car burglaries and such and will likely continue to. Dark and low density and an attractive place to hit and steal cars. Careful though. All sorts of security cameras and lots of people who pack or keep a shotgun behind the door. Las place I would try a home invasion for instance. The recipient would shot you and the neighbors would likely take out your driver.

El Capitan is in the America West Complex. Reasonably nice houses with quite high density. Has a burglary problem and likely always will. Driven by local teenagers and renters in some less desirable tracts nearby.

Smoke Ranch and Torrey Pines has begun to get pretty dismal. There are some nice places particularly on Smoke Ranch but there are some very colorful rental areas with quite high crime rates. Interesting they are in fact condos but practically all rentals...no owner occupied. I would discourage an owner occupant from buying there even though it is one of the few truly walkable neighborhoods. I would push them more west and across 95.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:16 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,820,506 times
Just an observation not supported by stats... it does seem Las Vegas (Metro) has a good clearance rate for homicides. Large cities tend to have significant numbers of unsolved homicides - but most in Las Vegas are solved.

Bill

Old 09-05-2015, 06:22 PM

206 posts, read 183,563 times
Looks like the Sunrise Manor shootings were just some kids having fun at a party.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:11 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,581,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
Just an observation not supported by stats... it does seem Las Vegas (Metro) has a good clearance rate for homicides. Large cities tend to have significant numbers of unsolved homicides - but most in Las Vegas are solved.

Bill

Not too many mastermind criminals running around Las Vegas I reckon.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:27 PM

529 posts, read 514,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
I don't like how everyone parks in their driveway instead of their garage on your cul-du-sac. There's one house where they have so many people with vehicles in one house that the white pick up truck parks in front of the other two cars in the drive way.
It may be that access was blocked, but also street parking seems to be the norm in Las Vegas. I find it incredibly annoying, especially when cars block visibility at intersections and are otherwise unsafe. I'm not sure why people do this. Those are the cars that are much more likely to get broken into.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:05 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,144,258 times
Apparently, a bunch of youths were down at the park where Hollywood becomes a dirt road, across from the wetlands. A fight broke out, and 3 or 4 people got shot in multiple locations. The single fatality occurred at the end of my driveway. Suspect is still at large. The victim was under 18 years old.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:30 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,293,474 times
So sad.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:31 PM

206 posts, read 183,563 times
Like I said, just some youths having fun. Not a bunch of criminals.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:56 PM

273 posts, read 241,801 times
I love living in Las Vegas, and although I personally have not been affected by the crime it does weigh on me. I live in a safe area as much as that goes but every now and then something odd happens close to home. I guess that is normal in a large city but still the same it gives me an uneasy feeling.

By the way you must be a photographer and have a nice camera, great shots!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas