Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 04:52 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgermaine View Post
I am referring strictly to burglaries because I leave my residences vacant for several months a year and worry about breakins while I'm gone. I live in several places during different periods of the year and although each city I live in have very high incidents of crime, I can find specific buildings, communities or suburbs close by that have close to 0 number of burglaries. For example, in NYC crime is high but I live in a building with doormen so there are no burglaries in my building. In L.A. I live deep in the Valley in a non-gated community with no security in Calabasas but there are no burglaries within 10 blocks. In Chicago, I live in the far flung suburb of Lake Forest where there is virtually no crime.

I'm trying to ask locals for any helpful ideas of where exactly in Henderson or Vegas there exists a place, because if I can find it in crime ridden Chicago area and NYC, maybe there's a chance of finding a place here.
There is no such place here or in Calabasas or a doorman building in Manhattan. You just need to wait long enough.

Case in point our ex-Mayor (and ex Miss America) Jan Laverty Jones got burgled in a very secure gated community in Summerlin with all the security known to man. And they took a built in safe from the second floor that weighted over half a ton.

Inside job? Of course. But they very often are.

There are numerous places here where you can hit the degree of security to protect against the random burglary and if set up correctly you are secure against anything other than an inside job.

I generally suggest it is more important to set such places up against more normal disasters like a water leak if you are leaving it vacant for long periods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 05:51 PM

698 posts, read 986,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I just don't suffer fools gladly. If this person has the assets he or she claims, with multiple properties in tony Lake Forest and Calabasas, then it would be no problem whatsoever to call a real estate agent (who will DROP EVERYTHING to meet such a big shot and act as a guide and chauffeur), and check out MacDonald Highlands, Spanish Trail, Tomiyasu Lane and similar.
Good point.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:23 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any helpful information on specific communities that are safer? Or is this thread going to just be filled with snarky attitudes from people who contribute 0 helpful information?
My house here is empty nine months out of the year. That's been true most of the 15 years I've owned it. It's not a low maintenance home either, it's an SFH with a larger than average yard, full landscaping front and rear, turf, swimming pool and spa, in a residential neighborhood. Over the years, I've learned many best practices for keeping vacation homes secure and making them look occupied, as well as learned about many products and services to assist in that goal. I think I've also acquired a lot of knowledge about the unique maintenance requirements of a Las Vegas home which is empty most of the time.

Too bad you'll have to learn this all on your own.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:10 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,280,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Some people on the local neighborhood forum have bought the Ring Video Doorbell. Besides the video also has motion detector is someone is knocking or jiggling the door knob.

https://ring.com/

I was thinking of buying one. It has mixed reviews on Amazon.
That's pretty cool! It's even better than what I had in mind. I'm thinking that I'm definitely getting one of those. I'll read the reviews on Amazon and see what people say too.

Now I'll finally know who my door knob ghost is and it solves my stolen delivery packages problem.

It says it doesn't have to be hooked to an existing doorbell and can be installed anywhere.

It will still work like a doorbell too with the Ring plugin and wi-fi.

I like that I can answer my doorbell from anywhere using my phone and have two way communication like an intercom system. The video quality is HD and it stores videos on the cloud of people passing my door using motion sensor detection and it has night vision. Plus if it's stolen they'll replace it with a lifetime warranty.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:38 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
That's pretty cool! It's even better than what I had in mind. I'm thinking that I'm definitely getting one of those. I'll read the reviews on Amazon and see what people say too.

Now I'll finally know who my door knob ghost is and it solves my stolen delivery packages problem.

It says it doesn't have to be hooked to an existing doorbell and can be installed anywhere.
I have two of them. I highly recommend you connect it to your existing chime, assuming it's a standard chime and not a digital one, rather than install it standalone. The battery does NOT last a year as is claimed, it lasts more like four months on a full charge. If it's not connected to power you'll end up unmounting it and charging it at least three times a year. A conventional doorbell button has low voltage AC running through it, which will keep Ring charged if you connect it to your old doorbell's wiring.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I have two of them. I highly recommend you connect it to your existing chime, assuming it's a standard chime and not a digital one, rather than install it standalone. The battery does NOT last a year as is claimed, it lasts more like four months on a full charge. If it's not connected to power you'll end up unmounting it and charging it at least three times a year. A conventional doorbell button has low voltage AC running through it, which will keep Ring charged if you connect it to your old doorbell's wiring.
We don't have doorbells in our complex. I wish we did. I nearly overlooked the suggestion because of that but I'm glad I read the specs and how it works. Otherwise I was thinking of looking into some sort of peephole installation thing with a video monitor. I've seen those installed in people's places. This doorbell camera will work even better and we can have maintenance put it on the outside door frame as standalone easily. They've made other custom modifications for us in the past so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for letting us know that it needs to be charged every four months. That's good to know.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:53 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
We don't have doorbells in our complex. I wish we did. I nearly overlooked the suggestion because of that but I'm glad I read the specs and how it works. Otherwise I was thinking of looking into some sort of peephole installation thing with a video monitor. I've seen those installed in people's places. This doorbell camera will work even better and we can have maintenance put it on the outside door frame as standalone easily. They've made other custom modifications for us in the past so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for letting us know that it needs to be charged every four months. That's good to know.

Do you have a window near your door that you can put a camera in?

Old 10-22-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Do you have a window near your door that you can put a camera in?
I wish we did. There is a light on the side of the door that I thought might work for something like that but I think this doorbell option will work perfectly. I showed it to my husband last night and he is looking into it. He is concerned about the door knob jiggler too and says it's creepy. We also have a sliding glass window for our patio/balconies and I've seen several people have installed the $20 home depot security device that was mentioned on here before. No one has ever breached our patio wall, yet.

I think they're opportunistic criminals. They'll take a package on someone's doorstep if it's left out there too long. They'll walk around and check door handles on the ground floor to see if they're unlocked as if they're just passing by and ran into it. They probably do the same thing checking door handles on cars or where people leave stuff in plan sight. I don't think they're going to put more effort into it. Though sometimes I've noticed they've worked at the door handle a little more vigorously. I guess I should call out who's there and scare them off but I watch it in silence instead. One time the locks on the car were messed with during a rash of car burglaries here. We had to have our trunk lock fixed.

Maybe they're novices at breaking at entering?

Old 10-22-2015, 02:01 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
I don't know what you want to spend or what type of property you want, but there are some somewhat Manhattan style doorman high rises in Vegas (Queensridge, Panorama/Martin, Turnberry) If you want SFR, there are higher end guard gated communities. If you want to get some level of real protection out of a gated community, look for one with a guard at the gate, not a remote control operated gate.

Quote:
I am referring strictly to burglaries because I leave my residences vacant for several months a year and worry about breakins while I'm gone. I live in several places during different periods of the year and although each city I live in have very high incidents of crime, I can find specific buildings, communities or suburbs close by that have close to 0 number of burglaries. For example, in NYC crime is high but I live in a building with doormen so there are no burglaries in my building. In L.A. I live deep in the Valley in a non-gated community with no security in Calabasas but there are no burglaries within 10 blocks. In Chicago, I live in the far flung suburb of Lake Forest where there is virtually no crime.

I'm trying to ask locals for any helpful ideas of where exactly in Henderson or Vegas there exists a place, because if I can find it in crime ridden Chicago area and NYC, maybe there's a chance of finding a place here.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:53 AM

16 posts, read 33,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
... (and ex Miss America) Jan Laverty Jones...
Hmmmm. I guess that's an insider joke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: