Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 09:50 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,882,803 times

Advertisements

Check out the Club at Madeira Canyon https://www.facebook.com/The-Club-at...8174745234905/ and Anthem Country Club https://www.facebook.com/anthemcountryclubnv?fref=ts

Crime is not non-existent, but these are among the safer ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 11:35 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,504,042 times
^
But it's also at the far end of southern Henderson. If I were the OP, I'd look for a more conveniently located guard gated development.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:27 AM

927 posts, read 884,749 times
I checked last weekend on Crime Mapper and was shocked at how many burglaries there were in my area of Henderson (89052). Henderson as a whole has a reputation for being a safe city, especially certain pockets. Violent crime is lower than average but burglaries were above average.

My community is non-gated and has fewer burglaries than the gated communities. We have a steel framed screen door and sun screens on all the windows. Both help in terms of security.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:24 PM

23,238 posts, read 29,080,592 times
It's unknown how much investor-owned rental homes have to do with this, which can plague any area of the country today, any area of a city, but I'm guessing it has something to do with it.

And what do you, on a local forum, advise anyone today, who's looking for a safe neighborhood to live in, where to live.

On one of my late night bike rides, last week, going up Pecos Road towards Flamingo, at 3am, I heard this loud music coming from a townhouse at Braewood, where only 10% of the units can be rented, and I was rather shocked, in this gated community, to come across this. I waited for 10-15 minutes to see if the police were to come, and no they didn't.

I've been on some of these Bad Neighbor threads on the House forum, on City-Data, and how often do I read it: I'm in an HOA community, and the HOA does nothing.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:51 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,504,042 times
I think people expect too much from the HOAs. In the end HOAs are usually about maintenance. That's why they're usually formed. A developer wants to build a subdivision, but the local municipality doesn't want to have to pay to maintain the infrastructure. So the force the developer to form a subdivision to do it.

If you happen to get one where the board it very active, they can deal with behavior issues, but mostly they can't be bothered.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:14 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,792,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I think people expect too much from the HOAs. In the end HOAs are usually about maintenance. That's why they're usually formed. A developer wants to build a subdivision, but the local municipality doesn't want to have to pay to maintain the infrastructure. So the force the developer to form a subdivision to do it.

If you happen to get one where the board it very active, they can deal with behavior issues, but mostly they can't be bothered.
Exactly this. Our HOA makes our streets look nice, and the pools cleaned. Other than that, they don't enforce much (onstreet parking, etc). It's basically up to the neighborhood to self police. Fortunately we have a strong sense of community here and everyone takes care of things at a neighbor level.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:32 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,422,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Check out the Club at Madeira Canyon https://www.facebook.com/The-Club-at...8174745234905/ and Anthem Country Club https://www.facebook.com/anthemcountryclubnv?fref=ts

Crime is not non-existent, but these are among the safer ones.
I don't think I would say "crime is non-existent". Perhaps less, but there is plenty more crime than there should be, for a guard gated community. Several of the 63 replies to this recent crime victim also indicate that they (also living behind the walls of "The Club") have also been victims of similar crimes.
Attached Thumbnails
High incidents of property crime-capture.jpg  

Old 10-27-2015, 11:16 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,045,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
I don't think I would say "crime is non-existent". Perhaps less, but there is plenty more crime than there should be, for a guard gated community. Several of the 63 replies to this recent crime victim also indicate that they (also living behind the walls of "The Club") have also been victims of similar crimes.

The poster wrote "crime is not non-existent".....which is the double negative of crime does exist.

I think most locals have conceded tactfully to the OP's dubious intent about crime affecting his/her unlimited budget to buy themselves out of crime.

People inside these guard-gated subdivisions are as likely to be committing crimes as anyone attempting to infiltrate over walls or past the guards. Your "average" honor student teenager probably knows the kids checking car doors at 11PM, and likely hears the same kids bragging about it at school, if they themselves are not involved.

Anyway, I agree with your point.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:25 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,422,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
The poster wrote "crime is not non-existent".....which is the double negative of crime does exist.
Ahh, my bad. I overlooked the "not" in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: