Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Single transplant, considering relocation to Las Vegas, city for professional singles, outdoor activities, nightlife and parties, places to meet friends and date women

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 9,569 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Considering moving to LV as everywhere else I have lived (Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia) usually lacks transplants. It becomes tough to meet people as you keep moving for a career. There is an opportunity open at my company in LV and I thought it could be a good place to meet people who are in their 20's/30's and are also transplants looking to meet new people. As for me, Masters degree, 32 yo SWM, no baggage, don't care about the schools, raising a family, crime, etc....I mean I am living in Phila right now and the murder rate here is crazy. Just curious if the city is good for professional singles or it is more the strip and then the settled folks in the suburbs without much else for nightlife? Most of the other posts go off on tangents about being conservative, religious, where the overpriced outlets are located, etc. I still love to party as wells as the outdoors and am tired of the snow/cold. Last weekend trip I had there was great, but I couldn't tell if it is a place to visit or would be cool to live and maybe meet some good friends and date some great women.

Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 09:36 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
If I was 32 and single and had a decent salary, I'd still be living in LV- there's plenty of nightlife (though alot of it is on/near the strip), plenty of "talent", and great weather. If you're already set up with a job, I'd just at that in a heartbeat- especially if it gets you out of that dump you're in now (I grew up in NJ, so I'm allowed to call Philly a dump...lol).

Old 02-27-2008, 12:22 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Yep...sounds like you're a good match for LV. Olecapt is a good resource concerning RE there...you might want to DM him.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:41 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarod412 View Post
Hello,

Considering moving to LV as everywhere else I have lived (Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia) usually lacks transplants. It becomes tough to meet people as you keep moving for a career. There is an opportunity open at my company in LV and I thought it could be a good place to meet people who are in their 20's/30's and are also transplants looking to meet new people. As for me, Masters degree, 32 yo SWM, no baggage, don't care about the schools, raising a family, crime, etc....I mean I am living in Phila right now and the murder rate here is crazy. Just curious if the city is good for professional singles or it is more the strip and then the settled folks in the suburbs without much else for nightlife? Most of the other posts go off on tangents about being conservative, religious, where the overpriced outlets are located, etc. I still love to party as wells as the outdoors and am tired of the snow/cold. Last weekend trip I had there was great, but I couldn't tell if it is a place to visit or would be cool to live and maybe meet some good friends and date some great women.

Thanks for the info!
Las Vegas can be anything you want it to be...it's what you make of it, really. It's the exciting "tourist" life you have already experienced, as well as the suburban type of existence...if that's what you want.

I vote like the others...GO for it love..you got nothing to lose!

Much good luck to you!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:47 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Just don't be making anymore of those dopey Subway commercials, ok?

Old 02-27-2008, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 9,569 times
Thanks for the advice all. Worse than the commercials, everytime I meet someone and they think I said Jerry, I have to say "no, like the Subway guy"

Old 02-27-2008, 05:56 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times
In my experience, Vegas is a city with tons of people in the 25-35 age demographic. There are many young singles out here.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:22 AM

572 posts, read 1,684,619 times
Hey Jarod -

Your story sounds eerily simmilar to mine (as I am moving cross-country from NY to Vegas when I finish my Masters degree in December). Like MomMom said, Las Vegas is what you want it to be. You have nothing to lose by doing it. What is the worse that could happen? It doesn't work out? So you pick up and move somewhere else. Better than living with the "what if...", right?

Go for it. Definitely.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:18 PM

38 posts, read 84,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
Hey Jarod -

Your story sounds eerily simmilar to mine (as I am moving cross-country from NY to Vegas when I finish my Masters degree in December). Like MomMom said, Las Vegas is what you want it to be. You have nothing to lose by doing it. What is the worse that could happen? It doesn't work out? So you pick up and move somewhere else. Better than living with the "what if...", right?

Go for it. Definitely.

Davey, my fellow Long Islander where abouts do you live on this lovely island? I am in Rockville Centre pinching pennies since I just got laid off since the economy is bad here....I am a just out of college and thinking about moving to Vegas also, though I know it'd be a huge culture shock....I have a side business I can do from work to make some $$ but whats the job market like in banking/finance and construction management? I'll pretty much do anything but I don't know where to start....Want to live in either Summerlin or GreenValley or South Strip, but does anyone reccomend that other area olecap has mentioned (like 89143 corridor maybe? on west side where hes said younger hotel workers live) sorry for the thread hijack.......I would very much welcome cheaper cost of living, sunnier skies, new people, more freedom, etc though just have to accept nothing is like new york in terms of people, sophistication, food, variety, culture, but that's fine, can always come back, I just don't want to go to Vegas without a plan....Thx in advance

Old 02-28-2008, 05:59 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
If you can get involved in some of the commercial development in town then a project management position is a great possibility. There are a few positions open, just from looking online or in the paper. They pay pretty good also. As far as banking/finance goes, it depends on what you would do in that field and what you are qualified for. With the current state of the economy I personally would stay away from the finance sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas