Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 11:23 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,504,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
sheriff, have you ever said anything positive about anything on these boards? you must be the most depressing person around.
...and also one of the more realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 11:25 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
sheriff, have you ever said anything positive about anything on these boards? you must be the most depressing person around.

Sheriff is not into reality...ole Greg has always had a cantankerous nature concealing an intellect lacking in many dimensions.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:28 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,333,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Sheriff is not into reality...ole Greg has always had a cantankerous nature concealing an intellect lacking in many dimensions.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me. You, on the other hand are an EMBARASSMENT to the fine LV valley.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Gee, sorry if you view me as a negative force---I only post only what I percieve to be facts. Gold and oil are booming. How's that?

Old 03-08-2008, 12:28 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,001,815 times
thank you...geez try to show some light at the end of the tunnel... maybe say that the Danny Gans show was entertaining or something.. everybody knows the real estate market is in trouble... but keep down playing it the way you do and you will have someone jump off the stratosphere... i always think that the one who has the negative attitude is the one who screwed up himself.. if i was so miserable in las vegas, such as many members of this board, i would pack up and go somewhere else.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
thank you...geez try to show some light at the end of the tunnel... maybe say that the Danny Gans show was entertaining or something.. everybody knows the real estate market is in trouble... but keep down playing it the way you do and you will have someone jump off the stratosphere... i always think that the one who has the negative attitude is the one who screwed up himself.. if i was so miserable in las vegas, such as many members of this board, i would pack up and go somewhere else.
Danny Gans is pathetic. A joke of a show---but hey, if YOU like him. And, yes, I have screwed up in LV, but am still greatfull for the rubes that LV draws. Thank you.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:46 PM

289 posts, read 1,039,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You are on... By March of 2010 median and average prices will exceed todays levels...
Ooh! I want in on that bet too. Olecapt is going down. I still don't think he pays enough attention to external factors.

Such as?

Well, how 'bout this morning's headline:

Banks face "systemic margin call," $325 billion hit: JPM

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Wall Street banks are facing a "systemic margin call" that may deplete banks of $325 billion of capital due to deteriorating subprime U.S. mortgages, JPMorgan Chase & Co, said in a report late on Friday.

Link: Banks face "systemic margin call," $325 billion hit: JPM: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance (broken link)

So lemme get this straight. $325 billion will potentially just vanish from the banking system, but some people on this forum would believe everything will be just fine hunky dory, there's no doom and gloom, back to regular programming, and best of all, home values will go up, up, and up and we can get back to buying Hummers off our home equity. Woohoo!

Right. I'll DEFINITELY take that bet.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude66 View Post
Ooh! I want in on that bet too. Olecapt is going down. I still don't think he pays enough attention to external factors.

Such as?

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Wall Street banks are facing a "systemic margin call" that may deplete banks of $325 billion of capital due to deteriorating subprime U.S. mortgages, JPMorgan Chase & Co, said in a report late on Friday.

Link: Banks face "systemic margin call," $325 billion hit: JPM: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance (broken link)

So lemme get this straight. $325 billion will potentially just vanish from the banking system, but some people on this forum would believe everything will be just fine hunky dory, there's no doom and gloom, back to regular programming, and best of all, home values will go up, up, and up and we can get back to buying Hummers off our home equity. Woohoo!

Yes, Hummers, homes, and all of the desirables in LV will prove to be a toy for those who have been financially responsible.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude66 View Post

Such as?

Not that it matters, I posted years ago, that the long line of Hummers, Escalades, and the such at Nevada Power to pay their power bills, before shut off showed the true climate of the LV economic climate. Over bought, over paid, over extended. 'Nuff said?

Old 03-08-2008, 02:54 PM

66 posts, read 327,102 times
You guys seem a little too pessimistic if you ask me (albeit I like hearing worst case scenarios). Rent has actually increased in the past couple years, even if it stays at current levels for another 3 years I think it would be fair to call the rental market healthy. I am a pretty typical small time investor in that I generally have $100-200K liquid if I happen to waltz into a profitable business opportunity. If what you are predicting is true (massive continued drops in housing prices), then a community selling at around $120/sqft today will be selling for $95/sqft in a year or two. I can assure you that at that drastically reduced price, an investor would be able to put 20% down, and rent the unit (assuming he does his homework and finds an easy to rent area) "above water" at a rate that would actually equal or surpass his RoR off of a typical savings account/CD. Add to that that this investor would also have a possibility of making money off of any appreciation in 3-5 years and that would be a very good deal indeed. That's why I don't see prices falling too much more, because once that mortgage-to-rent threshold gets crossed there will be investors like myself coming out of the woodwork to keep prices from falling too low. I have lost bids over the past few months on many houses that were listed at a "firesale" price because I simply didn't go high enough to beat the other 3-6 investors that were bidding on it.

Don't get me wrong, I do not have a rosy outlook about the real estate market right now, lending is on such a tight leash that I agree that # of sales will not be good for quite a time, and any future run up will happen slowly rather than sharply. I guess I just disagree with the thought that actual unit sales prices will continue to drop as drastically as they have in the past 9 months. Even though I have a small portfolio of homes right now I actually wouldn't mind a further drop since that would give me a RoR excuse to buy up maybe one or two more units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas