Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 12:18 AM

113 posts, read 358,322 times

Advertisements

1) By staying in the house, I would have been teaching my daughter that it's okay to live someplace and not pay for it by taking advantage of the system - though honestly, this is less important then the two following reasons. (Some would say this reason is just me being "childish" and living in a "fantasy" world again.) Fair enough. Ok. I get it. That's one way of looking at it. I look back at certain personal situations and really appreciate what my parents did for me and my siblings. Like the time my Dad lied to the gas company about making a payment because my sister was sick and he knew if the heat was shut off she'd be in a much worse condition - back then there weren't any safeguards with stuff like this, if you didn't pay your bill there was no heat no matter how old, young, sick you were. He literally looked physically ill when he made the phone call. It wasn't moral. It wasn't telling the truth. At the time I didn't really get why he did it but later I truly appreciated the sacrifice he made. I'm sure your daughter will understand your reasons too and appreciate the situation your family is in.

2) As mentioned above, I honestly don't know where I would have moved with a credit score of 540, since the place I'm currently renting, and every single other property I called on, planned to run a credit check as a selection criteria for deciding whether or not to rent to me. Pulling my daughter out of her school and putting her somewhere else because I could only rent some seedy apartment in a not-so-great neighborhood elsewhere would have been far more disruptive to her life.

At least that's the way I see it.

This info comes too late to help you but if others read this post perhaps it will. I happen to live in a complex owned by a big chain. They have complexes all over LV, henderson, green valley. I like my place well enough. Been here for 4 years now. I have a 2 bedroom for about $1000 a month. I recently saw they had a sign up that said "Mortgage Forgiveness Program" and asked them about it. Apparently all of the branches will accept applications from people with less than stellar FICO scores/credit reports and they don't care if you've had a foreclosure. They said they've actually always had this program, it just wasn't given its current name til recently. They just didn't readily advertize it but if someone came in and explained they had a bad credit report but could come up with good references and the deposit they would rent to them. I know it's rough when a child is involved though. I hope she's adjusting okay and doing well.

3) OleCapt brought this one up, and it goes along with #2. Unless I mis-read him, he seemed to imply that I was purposely and consciously damaging my daughter by making this move when I did.

What I don't understand is this: If we had waited until the Sheriff came and posted a notice to our door, or even worse, came and kicked us out, how is that less damaging to my daughter? To me, that scenario would have been far more traumatic for her to go through then the choice I ultimately made.

Unfortunately I think anyway you look at it this event will be traumatizing to your daughter but hopefully with strong parents she'll be resilient and bounce back from this. And I didn't know they actually send a Sheriff to kick you out. I've had a few friends and family members who were foreclosed on and they all received certified letters to vacate with a date. Does CW actually get someone to drag you out of your house if you are foreclosed on?

Good luck to you. I wish you and your family luck and prosperity in the future.

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 01:12 AM

151 posts, read 246,616 times
"Do I have to point out that moral, upright and stupid is still stupid?"

Like I said, spoken like a true genius. Great job Capt. I much prefer the ending of Nods last reply.
Its called class.

2) I need to continue to be the person I am, regardless of the stones thrown at me. I'll occasionally make mistakes as any human being does. I'll do dumb things and make stupid choices from time to time.

But as long as I can look myself in the eye in the mirror before bed each night, and know in my heart that I did the best I could for myself and those who depend on me, then that has to be good enough, doesn't it?

Now these are words that are worth listening to and learning from. No B.S. just real world experience combined with great human and American strengths of character combined with some bad times yet he still retains the values set up by several generations of his family. I'll stick with you Nod and leave the need to justify ones actions to others.

FOD

Old 04-15-2008, 05:32 PM

285 posts, read 785,962 times
It's been awile since I've posted on this thread so I thought I'd jump in since we're talking ethics and everything.

It appears there are at least two things that cause Olecapt to become unhinged - conservative thought and ethical behavior. I remember I was attacked several months ago by Ole and Greatbasin Guide over politics. Now he's after someone trying to do the right thing. I hear justifications like "this is business" or "hey, capitalizim is just maximizing wealth" to explain away bad behavior.

Remember Ole, successfull, rich and souless, is still soulless.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:55 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,247,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
It's been awile since I've posted on this thread so I thought I'd jump in since we're talking ethics and everything.

It appears there are at least two things that cause Olecapt to become unhinged - conservative thought and ethical behavior. I remember I was attacked several months ago by Ole and Greatbasin Guide over politics. Now he's after someone trying to do the right thing. I hear justifications like "this is business" or "hey, capitalizim is just maximizing wealth" to explain away bad behavior.
What are you prattling on about? A contract is a contract. There is no morality involved. You do what the contract says to do or take the consequences provided for in the contract and the law..

If you believe that saving soap wrappers is required for your salvation...go for it - save soap wrappers. If you believe that morality requires that you meet every nuance of every contract you sign go for it...understand however that you will fail and, in some cases, attempting to do so may be extraordinarily bad for you and yours. But if you wish to suffer and take your family with you have a good time.

If you wish to give a berserk corporation all the neccessary tools to wreck your life and those you care about go for it. I can't stop you. But I am not going to salute your hopeless position. You make the bed...you lie in. Don't blame countrywide. They are a corporation...no soul. Don't blame the law. It provided you with reasonable outs. But suffer for your morality if you like.

I would however suggest you take up with one of the groups that sits in green fields and contemplates their navel. Certainly better for your financial well being.

Quote:
Remember Ole, successfull, rich and souless, is still soulless.
And fully souled and stupid is still stupid. You don't get an out from covering your and your families back side because you are "moral" or "libertarian".

You do the best you can with what you got. If it takes a little hard ball you play hardball. Our poster is a poster child for what happens if you don't.

But all up and all in...if you gotta do what you gotta do. Please suffer in silence.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,866,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
If you wish to give a berserk corporation all the neccessary tools to wreck your life and those you care about go for it. I can't stop you. But I am not going to salute your hopeless position. You make the bed...you lie in. Don't blame countrywide. They are a corporation...no soul. Don't blame the law. It provided you with reasonable outs. But suffer for your morality if you like.

Pretty conservative words from Olecapt. Maybe he's not the raving liberal after all, dano?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:16 PM

149 posts, read 347,164 times
Default Homeowners stuck in unfinished projects

"As America's housing market has foundered, homeowners who bought into newly rising projects at just the wrong time have found themselves marooned in stalled, abandoned or largely unoccupied developments with little place to turn, placing a strain on them and municipalities forced to pick up the pieces."

"Experts say it's one of the least examined aspects of the housing downturn, and one that has struck many parts of the country, from areas like Las Vegas, which experienced rampant speculation and overbuilding, to cities where construction was more restrained such as the Jersey Shore and Philadelphia."

Business Week - Homeowners stuck in unfinished projects (http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9022J8G3.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_lifesty le - broken link)

Old 04-17-2008, 02:17 PM

24 posts, read 66,960 times
Default Home Builder's Bailout

Perhaps the Home Builders will apply their massive bailout to completing these types of projects.

Bloomberg.com: Opinion

This article cuts to the bone regarding the homebuilder:
quote from the article:

"This legislation known as the ``Foreclosure Prevention Act of 2008'' should be called the ``Homebuilder Bailout Act.''
"

Old 04-17-2008, 02:57 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,247,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpercar View Post
"As America's housing market has foundered, homeowners who bought into newly rising projects at just the wrong time have found themselves marooned in stalled, abandoned or largely unoccupied developments with little place to turn, placing a strain on them and municipalities forced to pick up the pieces."

"Experts say it's one of the least examined aspects of the housing downturn, and one that has struck many parts of the country, from areas like Las Vegas, which experienced rampant speculation and overbuilding, to cities where construction was more restrained such as the Jersey Shore and Philadelphia."

Business Week - Homeowners stuck in unfinished projects (http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9022J8G3.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_lifesty le - broken link)
There is a little bit of that going on. More at the master plan level than at the tract level. I would be leery of Providence and Inspirada and maybe a couple of others. I would be concerned that the many planned "features" will move out some years and that the development in various tracts may change radically.

There was an article in the LV Sun this AM suggesting that a big Henderson loft project is up but going no where. I remain skeptical of the lofts whether high rise or low. The one on Buffalo south of Charleston does not look like it is doing well either and I hear mostly bad about the down town ones. I would wait a while and buy one as a resale...after it stabilizes. Save a whole lot of money I think.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:22 PM

149 posts, read 347,164 times
Default You've given others here advice to avoid buying in partially completed tracts during this downturn

And that is excellent advice. Here's the Sun article you're talking about: Las Vegas Sun - Chic, urban … and deserted

Quote:
There is a little bit of that going on. More at the master plan level than at the tract level. I would be leery of Providence and Inspirada and maybe a couple of others. I would be concerned that the many planned "features" will move out some years and that the development in various tracts may change radically.

There was an article in the LV Sun this AM suggesting that a big Henderson loft project is up but going no where. I remain skeptical of the lofts whether high rise or low. The one on Buffalo south of Charleston does not look like it is doing well either and I hear mostly bad about the down town ones. I would wait a while and buy one as a resale...after it stabilizes. Save a whole lot of money I think.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:58 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,854,401 times
Quote:

Are you referring to Stone Canyon (loft style homes)? If so those are actually sold out, at least according to Blue Heron Development. Apparently so is Stone Canyon South, and according to the developer it took less than 4 weeks. They have 2 more small subdivisions they are developing, 22 Parkside and Marquis Las Vegas. Their architecture is cutting edge and I wouldn't mind owning one of these beautiful homes.

Las Vegas Loft Homes - Las Vegas Luxury Home Builder Blue Heron
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas