Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 08:43 PM

255 posts, read 557,132 times

Advertisements

Better to be a realist than a cheerleader
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:50 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Better to be a realist than a hanger of crepe...

Old 05-20-2009, 01:01 AM

37 posts, read 79,071 times
It'll be interesting to watch what happens next, I think this is just the eye of the hurricane.

I just don't see it being reasonable to expect this is a bottom with unemployment continuing to rise, option arms and alt-a's just getting started, and the recent decline in inventory explained away by the moratorium which has now been lifted. Not to mention with so many people so far underwater in this town...how long will they continue to hold on before they say screw it it's just not worth it and are looking for an excuse to finally pull the plug?

YMMV maybe it pays for you to buy and then rent it out but as an appreciating investment?

Oh well, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Better to be a realist than a hanger of crepe...

touchy, touchy

Old 05-20-2009, 08:30 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMike View Post
It'll be interesting to watch what happens next, I think this is just the eye of the hurricane.

I just don't see it being reasonable to expect this is a bottom with unemployment continuing to rise, option arms and alt-a's just getting started, and the recent decline in inventory explained away by the moratorium which has now been lifted. Not to mention with so many people so far underwater in this town...how long will they continue to hold on before they say screw it it's just not worth it and are looking for an excuse to finally pull the plug?

YMMV maybe it pays for you to buy and then rent it out but as an appreciating investment?

Oh well, I guess we'll find out soon enough.
There is no indication that something good is going to happen. Merely that a cusp has been reached. We will see what the market does to compensate.

What is happening is a rate problem. The rate at which foreclosures are being handled by the banks is significantly less than the rate at which they are beling sold. I would think the rate at which foreclosures are created must double to stabilize the inventory. And even that may not work. The feeding frenzy of the moment may simply increase if faced with more product.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 AM

Housing inventory down only 1% year over year and still 27,435 properties available currently. Add to that the new appraisal guidelines now in effect depressing prices even more (LV is a still declining market) and that makes for a toxic situation. As always, cash is king and patience is rewarded.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:12 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
if patience is rewarded, and cash is king.. why are you buying now? just a question, do you feel that the prices are stabalized in the condo market...

Old 05-20-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
if patience is rewarded, and cash is king.. why are you buying now? just a question, do you feel that the prices are stabalized in the condo market...
Unfortunately, I've made a habit of catching falling knives and my hands are bloodied but I remain persistent. Overall, whenever a normal market develops, next year or next decade, I should be ok. Until then, rents cover expenses plus a little each month - of course rents are dropping but not as much as prices. All things to keep in mind.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:56 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
so lets say you had $100k in cd's earning 2 - 2 1/2%... would you use 50k of it as downpayments on condos to rent?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
so lets say you had $100k in cd's earning 2 - 2 1/2%... would you use 50k of it as downpayments on condos to rent?
I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas