Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 11:57 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,808,496 times

Advertisements

i want to move about 300sqft of landscaping rock to the side of my house and then get a landscaper to install sod over that area

currently there is a Rainbird ESP-TM control panel with irrigation around the perimeter of the house for trees/shrubs. here is a pic of the bottom of the control panel
(A)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...mYyNDQzTndSbm8

(B) here is a pic of the irrigtation control /solenoid (under the green lid) outside
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...mxOLXZRSF9YeU0

(C) i don't know what this is:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...29pUjg0SjN3UUU
it appears one is shut and the other is open

are there any issues with this plan?

and is it possible to add to the existing irrigation easily for the sod. the previous owners did have grass in the backyard, but I'm not sure what they removed or did not remove in terms of irrigation

can anyone estimate costs if i remove all the rock myself. underneath the rock there is plastic sheeting and soft soil

feel free to PM me recommendations on inexpensive but good labor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 04:13 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
I do not foresee any problems in your plan -- but are you *sure* you want live grass? Most people are going the other direction -- removing grass and replacing it with attractive desert landscaping that does not require as much water as does grass.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 04-08-2017 at 04:23 PM..

Old 04-08-2017, 04:15 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Oh. Your image #3: it can freeze during the winter. At any landscape store you can buy an insulation bag to cover it. Look for something like this:

Old 04-08-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I do not foresee any problems in your plan -- but are you *sure* you want live grass? Most people are going the other direction -- removing grass and replacing it with attractive desert landscaping that does not require as much water as does grass.
My dogs need grass. 300sqft isn't much in terms of area, but it will make a world of difference to them.

Fake is too expensive and gets too hot and I'm not sure my dogs will take to it. One of them is very particular.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Oh. Your image #3: it can freeze during the winter. At any landscape store you can buy an insulation bag to cover it. Look for something like this:
Thanks for the tip. I hope it isn't damaged since it's probably been like that for a few years

Old 04-09-2017, 03:46 AM

638 posts, read 594,398 times
When you say they NEED grass, what do you mean?

To pee?

Trust me, grass or not sooner or later it's coming out, they'll learn. Why spends hundreds of dollars that nature will resolve on its own for free?

Old 04-09-2017, 07:20 AM

359 posts, read 361,592 times
3 is a pressure vacuum valve it is used so irrigation water doesnt back sipohon into the house you are very lucky it hasnt froze on you always cover it up in the winter!

as far as the grass goes it should be no problem even if they took up the irrigation pipes as long as you have irrigation near such as drip etc

we have grass in back and in front and hope we NEVER have to remove it you can tell the difference it makes in the summer compared to houses that only have rock

ps i have no idea why #3 is off do you have a drip system etc? have you tried turning it on really quickly?

Old 04-09-2017, 07:22 AM

359 posts, read 361,592 times
one more thing the white irrigation pipe should be wrapped with insulation and tape

Old 04-09-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
When you say they NEED grass, what do you mean?

To pee?

Trust me, grass or not sooner or later it's coming out, they'll learn. Why spends hundreds of dollars that nature will resolve on its own for free?

To play not to pee

Old 04-09-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas taco View Post
ps i have no idea why #3 is off do you have a drip system etc? have you tried turning it on really quickly?
We bought the house about 15 months ago, im guessing the PVB is broken or something, why else would one lever be in the off position...

I guess I should try turning it on, but what can I expect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas