Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 02:52 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,282,789 times

Advertisements

Too bad Buzz123 is no longer with us. Rest his soul. He would have loved to have given you some advice on here and tell you all about his experience working in LV News. Being nosy, What does an editor make in a top 40 Market for TV news and do you have some other skills like camera work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 10:18 AM

28 posts, read 34,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Too bad Buzz123 is no longer with us. Rest his soul. He would have loved to have given you some advice on here and tell you all about his experience working in LV News. Being nosy, What does an editor make in a top 40 Market for TV news and do you have some other skills like camera work?
I believe it depends on the broadcast corporation and the station. I"m going to approximately 31K annual job, in say Austin, one station pays the editors about 28-29K per year. There's always room for raises and promotions though. And I do have other skills like photography, computer graphics, lighting, and I'm also a freelancer in A/V here in SA with a maybe transfer to that a/v company in Vegas.
Although working in news I don't see A/V working out for long.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:13 PM

661 posts, read 632,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicshroom View Post
Its on Foremaster Lane.

Its probably not NLV, I just assumed.
Its not NLV. This area is in Downtown Las Vegas filled with homeless sleeping on the streets and lots of crime.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:35 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,057,150 times
Not a good area. Be very careful going to work at 2am. Hope the parking is secure and I would probably carry mace. I wouldn't be afraid but I would be careful and observant.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I believe it depends on the broadcast corporation and the station. I"m going to approximately 31K annual job, in say Austin, one station pays the editors about 28-29K per year. There's always room for raises and promotions though. And I do have other skills like photography, computer graphics, lighting, and I'm also a freelancer in A/V here in SA with a maybe transfer to that a/v company in Vegas.
Although working in news I don't see A/V working out for long.
So Las Vegas is around $15 an hour and Austin is approx. $13.50 - $14 an hour.

I believe Sinclair Broadcasting purchased KSNV a couple years ago. They've been going around swallowing up a bunch of stations. They bought Fisher Communications several years back in the PNW.

You don't have to live around the stations of course. A lot of them are downtown because of the central location. Nobody mentioned this yet but you can practically get anywhere in Las Vegas in 20 minutes outside of rush hour. The trick is to live near the access ramps on the highways so you skip all the stop lights which will slow you down.

In your situation I'd go with SouthWest Las Vegas because it nice and a lot of younger people live there in the TV news industry. Otherwise, aliante is nice and you could even look along Summerlin Parkway in the NorthWest but I know traffic is clogged there due to road constructions. Coming from the southwest the commute is better than trying to go South to the Strip Cooridor right now.

If going for North West look west of the highway along Washington Blvd, Buffalo and Rainbow. We lived there and you have every grocery store you could want within easy reach and easy access to several on ramps to the highway, and rents within your price range. Two hospitals only 10 minutes away too and it's between the two main medical districts. The one downtown and the northwest one.

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 08-24-2017 at 05:32 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
So Las Vegas is around $15 an hour and Austin is approx. $13.50 - $14 an hour.

I believe Sinclair Broadcasting purchased KSNV a couple years ago. They've been going around swallowing up a bunch of stations. They bought Fisher Communications several years back in the PNW.

You don't have to live around the stations of course. A lot of them are downtown because of the central location. Nobody mentioned this yet but you can practically get anywhere in Las Vegas in 20 minutes outside of rush hour. The trick is to live near the access ramps on the highways so you skip all the stop lights which will slow you down.

In your situation I'd go with SouthWest Las Vegas because it nice and a lot of younger people live there in the TV news industry. Otherwise, aliante is nice and you could even look along Summerlin Parkway in the NorthWest but I know traffic is clogged there due to road constructions. Coming from the southwest the commute is better than trying to go South to the Strip Cooridor right now.

If going for North West look west of the highway along Washington Blvd, Buffalo and Rainbow. We lived there and you have every grocery store you could want within easy reach and easy access to several on ramps to the highway, and rents within your price range. Two hospitals only 10 minutes away too and it's between the two main medical districts. The one downtown and the northwest one.

Yup, I was offered better pay in Vegas, part of the reason to move there, plus I'd always wanted to live in the desert, I'm aware its hot. I'm fine with that.

Thanks, I kind of figured I'd probably be better off on the southwest side of town, its nice to have confirmation though.

I could probably take the interstate and get off at washington, bruce rd to foremaster then?

That's if Hurricane Harvey lets us leave.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:04 PM

I'm not sure about the exit due to the Neon Highway project moving things around in that area for the next several months.

Stay safe! I enjoy a good tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico but a Hurricane is an entirely other matter. I hope you have an emergency radio and a rubber raft with paddles if you're in its direct path.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:46 AM

799 posts, read 709,426 times
Quote:
Yup, I was offered better pay in Vegas, part of the reason to move there, plus I'd always wanted to live in the desert, I'm aware its hot. I'm fine with that.

Thanks, I kind of figured I'd probably be better off on the southwest side of town, its nice to have confirmation though.

I could probably take the interstate and get off at washington, bruce rd to foremaster then?

That's if Hurricane Harvey lets us leave.
Welcome to Las Vegas. You've gotten lots of good advice from everyone, but just in case you hadn't thought of this, take a look at google maps, and turn on the traffic filter, doing this around the time you will be getting off of work in the mornings. That may give you an idea of where not to live due to traffic when you are tired for the drive home after being awake all night.

Or, if you think you will soon transition to normal peoples hours, look at the traffic on the way to work. I know, living in the southwest, in the mornings the transition from the 215 to the 15 northbound seems to be rather sketchy for a couple hours, and the afternoons the southwest transition is equally plugged up.

Traffic sucks, but it's not as bad here as other places....yet!

Old 08-25-2017, 08:14 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,523,270 times
OP contact me through CD when you get here.

My editor might be moving out of state. I'll have part time position one can work in off hours.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
OP contact me through CD when you get here.

My editor might be moving out of state. I'll have part time position one can work in off hours.
I'll do that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas