Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 07:54 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,058,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
Or, if you think you will soon transition to normal peoples hours, look at the traffic on the way to work. I know, living in the southwest, in the mornings the transition from the 215 to the 15 northbound seems to be rather sketchy for a couple hours, and the afternoons the southwest transition is equally plugged up.

Traffic sucks, but it's not as bad here as other places....yet!
I agree with you, but if you've ever lived in another metro area, this is NOTHING. I'm not putting you down, I'm just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 09:46 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,279,422 times
Good insight on the commute North bound.

My thoughts are with Texas right now. I saw earlier it was a Category 4. This is going to be devastating like Hurricane Katrina. They'll need help from across the country real soon.

OP let us know if you're safe when you can.

Powerful Hurricane Harvey makes landfall in Texas - CNN
https://apple.news/AMV3xuh9hRXeQ6z178pDr0w

Old 08-26-2017, 07:01 PM

28 posts, read 34,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Good insight on the commute North bound.

My thoughts are with Texas right now. I saw earlier it was a Category 4. This is going to be devastating like Hurricane Katrina. They'll need help from across the country real soon.

OP let us know if you're safe when you can.

Powerful Hurricane Harvey makes landfall in Texas - CNN
https://apple.news/AMV3xuh9hRXeQ6z178pDr0w

We're good, not that close to the coast, right now its a lot of rain and wind.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicshroom View Post
We're good, not that close to the coast, right now its a lot of rain and wind.
Whew! Glad to hear it. I'm still waiting to hear from my Dad and some siblings in Austin. I was born and raised there. I think they're alright from the looks of it, at this time.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:29 PM

On the plus side this will make for good compelling stories and dramatic award winning coverage of historic floods. I remember when Oregon had some historic flooding 5-6 years back from a bad storm and they won awards for going out and covering that.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:46 AM

595 posts, read 1,256,501 times
Whoa, nice networking guys!

Old 08-28-2017, 06:39 AM

799 posts, read 708,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I agree with you, but if you've ever lived in another metro area, this is NOTHING. I'm not putting you down, I'm just saying.
No problem, I came from the LA area, and completely understand. That's why I shared about looking at the traffic patterns. They will only get worse as time passes because the politicians find infrastructure like roads one of the easiest expenses to "defer" to next year. Kinda like that guy on the pool commercial "it may not be bad now, but it's gonna get much WORSE"...

However, that's one of many reasons we left, so any traffic to us is too much...LOL

Old 09-03-2017, 12:05 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,058,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
No problem, I came from the LA area, and completely understand. That's why I shared about looking at the traffic patterns. They will only get worse as time passes because the politicians find infrastructure like roads one of the easiest expenses to "defer" to next year. Kinda like that guy on the pool commercial "it may not be bad now, but it's gonna get much WORSE"...

However, that's one of many reasons we left, so any traffic to us is too much...LOL
One thing I will say about city planning in Las Vegas is that they make the builders add on to the road once they build, and the master plan seems to be for "full capacity". Now, can you bank that the planners always made the right choice? I don't know, but the roads here are generally "very good" compared to most places.

I think there are a few areas with unforeseen problems ie 15 & 215... its being worked on..... traffic slows but its not that bad. I have NEVER seen any of the stop and go crap I've seen in other places. Before smartphones were popular, I used to literally bring a book to read in the car when I was commuting back east.

I don't think you could even try to read a book in the car here. Things can get slow, but not for very long. There really has to be a serious problem (multi-car accident with rubberneckers) to cause a problem on the highways here.

Back east, someone could change a tire and you might be ****ed for hours.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:44 PM

28 posts, read 34,934 times
Just got here, from a quick pass through we like what we see.

Just gotta start work next week and find a permanent place to live now.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:29 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
I'm surprised anyone could get away with paying editors so low? I own a corporate video production company and we pay $25/hour for our editor. Freelance editing it's not uncommon to pay $75-100/hour though. I think it would be nearly impossible to find anyone to do freelance work under $50/hour. I know it'll be time to give my editor a raise soon, I think $25/hour is a steal lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas