Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 02:05 PM

7 posts, read 4,749 times

Advertisements

Hey Y’all! This is my first post so please bear with me. I’ve read many of the relocation posts and they’ve been very helpful. I haven’t seen the answer to this question so please weigh in with your thoughts.
When buying a home in LV, do we need our own realtor? Do you only need a realtor if you’re buying an existing home? We will be looking at both new construction and existing homes in the NW and Summerlin adjacent areas. DH is not in favor of using a realtor stating he'll be “in and out” and “can check on everything. ” I’m thinking we need to have someone looking out for our interests as we will be long distance for a while.
Is bringing in our own realtor viewed negatively by builders? How do we find an agent we like and trust?

Last edited by lsm19; 08-29-2017 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: messed up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 02:29 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Do you NEED a realtor? No. I do not believe there is any legal requirement for one. Nor is there a legal requirement for, say, a real estate attorney.

I wouldn't buy a house without a real estate agent. In general, the seller compensates the buyer's real estate agent, so you won't see an out-of-pocket cost. I don't see a downside to having a competent agent represent you.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:51 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times
If you feel like you know the market well enough and you know the entire process of enacting a purchase agreement without a realtor, by all means.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:34 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,031,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
If you feel like you know the market well enough and you know the entire process of enacting a purchase agreement without a realtor, by all means.
Yes, but of course you don't.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:40 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
I would use one. But many agents here are awful. They are uneducated and the biggest group of liars I have ever met. The better ones will do a background check on you before taking you on. Lots of liar buyers too.

And you are thinking a new construction? Many tract builders who have been kicked out of other states are building here.

If you are building an expensive home, get it structurally checked often. Been there. I would not build unless I was in town and went and checked on the house every day. Again been there.

Vegas and builders are an experience you probably haven't experienced in other states. Surprised the heck out of us!

Old 08-29-2017, 06:32 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
But many agents here are awful. They are uneducated and the biggest group of liars I have ever met.
Don't hold back, foundapeanut; tell us how you really feel.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:59 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,804 times
If you decide to buy a new home you do not need a real estate agent. Just be sure to research the areas before you look at new homes.

Even if you buy a resale you should research the areas. Some of the agents might steer you the wrong direction. I thought Witney Ranch was great until I saw that it was right under the approach path for McCarran airport. The agent told me that I would get used to it. Yea right!!

I did a lot of my research off Redfin and Realtor.com and then drove out to the houses myself. The ones that I liked I would get a hold of an agent to look at them.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:14 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times
You might be able to negotiate a cheaper price if buying new from a builder since they don't have to give commission to a buyer's agent. A nice option is that you can have your home inspector check out the property during each phase of the build.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
It is a tricky question. New home sales are wired to favor the builder and there is virtually nothing that an agent or a buyer can do about it. The refusal to consider any modification to the buyer's contract is virtually universal. So agent or attorney the option is to not buy. You are not going to change the contract.

And make no mistake. New build is still a terrible deal. You are out something like 15% on the buy and then have 10 or 15% more to pay to get the place livable. So you are down 20 or 25% at day zero. Break even in five years if you are lucky.

Use of an agent is generally low cost on a new build. And it does help. Agents who have done a few have some understanding of what can be gotten out of the builder. And in general builders pay buyer's agent out of their marketing budget. So the bag you get a discount for not having one is mostly a put on. They also are better at harassing a builder into doing what he agreed to than most civilians would be.

If however one has a done a dozen or so transactions or were in the business or such you don't need an agent. It is really protection against being taken advantage of...and perhaps some help in getting things done correctly and timely.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:00 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Don't hold back, foundapeanut; tell us how you really feel.
First hand knowledge. Oh the stories I could tell. They did me a favor and drove me out of mortgage banking 30+ years ago. I couldn't take it anymore and thought I work with these people eventually I could also lose my morals, ethics and integrity.

Best agent in town died last year She I could trust. Her former partner is a slime bag, heard of recent situations he's pulled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas