Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 12:37 AM

927 posts, read 882,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittle_star View Post
To 08grad: Thanks so much for the info on the school district. What you have to say makes the Vegas school district sound SO MUCH like the district I work for, it's ridiculous - especially graduation rates. That's all very true for my school district, too. The only difference is, the teachers' union in the school district I work for is pretty powerful, which the district recognizes (while still trying to take advantage of us), and does support teachers' strikes. In fact, my district is gearing up for a strike in January 2019. It's looking more and more like it's really going to happen, and I don't believe there's been an actual strike in my district since 1987. Many strikes have been threatened over the years, but eventually, the district meets most of our demands and a strike is averted. This time, it's looking like that won't happen, though, since we have a horrible new superintendent. ...That said, though, my union is very much all about the teachers, which is great for teachers. I'm a school counselor and they really don't do much to support us, even though we're on the same pay scale as teachers, get paid for the same hours (although we frequently work more), and we have to have a masters degree to do our jobs, whereas teachers don't. I support the union to a certain extent, but their lack of support for counselors doesn't always make me want to do much for them. ...Besides union politics, though, the Vegas school district sounds a damn lot like mine. Sounds like it wouldn't be very much of a different experience for me.
Counseling jobs are more difficult to get out here than teaching jobs. There's far less turnover and internal candidates get first crack at the positions during April transfer season. Principals can't hire an external candidate in many circumstances.

Right now there's actually several good schools with openings for counselors, if you're considering crossing the border at the end of the semester. Greenspun JHS, Del Webb MS, and Coronado HS are all looking for counselors in the Green Valley South area, while SW CTA and Desert Oasis HS are looking for counselors in the SW part of the valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 12:43 AM

927 posts, read 882,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I like this list, but honestly the weather thing sounds like a Los Angeles native who loves cold weather lol. The weather in Vegas is great in May and June and great in September! It’s not great in December - February. I’ll take July and August over Dec - Feb any day! Swimming weather beats not swimming weather. If your home is built correctly, the worst that happens in the summer is you spend most of your time indoors until it’s dark outside. And you travel and get away But 90-100 in Vegas is fantastic weather. It’s only when it hits 110 that sucks.
To each his own.

Back where I grew up in Michigan they're expecting 6-12 inches of snow and cancelled school for tomorrow.

Meanwhile we're getting 65 and sun.

I'll take that over the 110s in July any day.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:27 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiasushi View Post
I think Las Vegas has the best amenities to traffic/cost ratio in the country. As in, LA and NYC have more great restaurants but living in those cities is much more expensive, and getting to those amenities takes a much greater amount of time. Getting to the great restaurants in Las Vegas is basically 20 minutes from any part of the city and you can easily get a reservation Monday through Thursday (or walk-in) without any problems. The great restaurants in LA/NYC are frequently booked well in advance.

Agree with the non-existent traffic. It's been that way for the last 32 years living here except for the 95/15 freeway during rush hour and which is getting done over AGAIN. As far as great restaurants, for a small local population, the city of Las Vegas has more than enough high end restaurants from the top end celebrity/non celebrity chefs if you can afford it.

Quote:
Personally, I feel that Los Angeles has the best Asian food in the country. The diversity and quality is tremendous. People not from the area might think their local Chinatown is authentic and offers great cuisine, but unless that Chinatown is Flushing, it's nothing compared to the SGV. LA Koreatown is great as is Sawtelle Japantown. That being said, I think Las Vegas is "punching above its size" for Asian food and save for Chinese food is beginning to approach LA's diversity and quality. Obviously we're not there yet, but we're working our way there.

As I have said, in comparison to the population of LA and NY, Las Vegas has great restaurants and that includes the ones in "Asia Town" between Rainbow and Valley View on Spring Mountain.

Quote:
Las Vegas is basically an adult playground. If you want to do anything, you can basically do it. Shoot machine guns, race cars, sky dive, gamble, wind sail, ride dirt bike/ATV's, hike, etc. IMO, this city offers the best entertainment in the country. The proximity to the outdoors is great. Red Rock Canyon is a zoo with the crowds, but the mountains around Henderson are great for hiking and trail running. We're 2.5 hours driving to Zion, 3.5 hours to Death Valley, 4.5 hours to Bryce, the Grand Canyon, and within 6.5 hours you can get to Arches, Yosemite (if 120 is open), Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, and the mountains around SLC.

Agree with pretty much what you've said but to let you know, Red Rock Canyon is around 195,000 acres. You can get away from the crowd. I'm not sure about Henderson, that city is always packed with people and the city traffic is horrible (at least for me) so I'm sure you will see them around the hiking areas. Henderson has always been crowded even going back 32 years ago and I'm glad my family are in Spring Valley and NW side of town.

Quote:
The Met, MoMA, and NYCB aren't here for sure, but there are plenty of shows, a ballet company, and a philharmonic. If you're a local you can sign up for House Seats and if your schedule is wide open, as it sounds like it is as a single professional, you can go onto their website and get tickets for free shows that night or within a few nights. No, it won't have free tickets to Celine or Mariah, but we have seen Mystere, Blue Man Group, Carrot Top, and some other shows that we would've never known about but are glad we did, for free. Think B or C-tier shows with some good ones mixed in.

So true, you can have quality artsy entertainment if you want it and with the opening of the Smith Center it expanded the options even more. We used to have a Guggenheim Museum, we had two but it closed, locals and visitors did not patronize it well enough.

Quote:
The cost of living difference is no joke. There's no income tax and the property taxes are very low. Home prices are still rather affordable. Like I said earlier, it'll still be pretty easy to get around from even the cheapest homes. Traffic isn't what it is in any of the largest metro areas.

Yes it is definitely an affordable town, just stay away from gambling or if you can control it then good for you.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:47 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Speaking of good entertainment. If you are here in March...

https://www.thesmithcenter.com/event...woodward-2019/

We saw here a couple of years ago and she started a bit slow, but by the time she was into the third song she had everyone smiling. Yes, we are going. Already have tickets.

Contrary to the text this is not Nina Simone, it is Lucy Woodward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Gm-fGHqdc

Old 11-26-2018, 08:49 PM

265 posts, read 204,607 times
Everyone is going to have their own perspective here, but Vegas truly is what you make of it. It depends what you are involved in as well.

I love that I bought a very affordable home and sitting in my living room can see the strip from it is very cool.

I just wish I could meet a nice, childless, professional, black woman. Been here 15 months, but no luck yet. I've tried all the dating sites. Man in his 30s looking for something stable and meaningful. If anyone is out there, send me a private message.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:24 PM

505 posts, read 583,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Vegas is pretty bad. There's no culture. Traffic is awful. The people are all rude. Unemployment is high. Jobs pay nothing.
There's really no redeeming qualities of Las Vegas.
Nailed it! I agree with this 100%. Also, our water is disgusting with barely passing levels. The doctors are also abhorrent. Crimemapping.com does not lie. Realtors lurking on CD will attack this comment in 3...2...1

Old 11-27-2018, 01:28 PM

505 posts, read 583,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soclose View Post
Thots
LOL! Our nightclubs aka Thotchella.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:10 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,056,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
Nailed it! I agree with this 100%. Also, our water is disgusting with barely passing levels. The doctors are also abhorrent. Crimemapping.com does not lie. Realtors lurking on CD will attack this comment in 3...2...1
There are cultural activities here, but you need to look for them.

Move to the DC area for a year or two and then let's talk about traffic. DC & LA were volleying for #1 worst traffic in the US for a few years there - not sure who holds the title right now. 495 Beltway around DC is more like a parking lot than a highway from about 3pm until 9pm and the whole area gridlocks, especially if it rains. The traffic here isn't even close by a long shot.

I'll give you the rude people, but not everyone is rude. This also isn't a feature unique to Las Vegas as a major city. Ever been to Boston? They've coined the term "M*******" for a reason...

Unemployment is still high everywhere - despite whatever mucking with the statistics the government is doing now would have you believe.

Salaries are generally low here, but I would also point out that salaries are always lower where cost of living is lower. Again, try DC for a couple years and let me know how $3K/mth mortgages, $250 carts of groceries, $300/mth parking spaces, and $4/gallon gas works out with that higher salary and the higher taxes you'll pay to go with it.

Agreed the water is nasty. If you plan to drink it you probably want to soften/RO it. Again though, this isn't a problem unique to Las Vegas. Ever own a house with a well?

You'll get no argument with me on crime problems. Personally, I feel metro could do better with old school neighborhood based patrols than flying that stupid helicopter around. All cities have higher crime than the suburbs, though. Vegas isn't actually that high on the list for overall crime compared to other major cities, but does have some problems in certain types of crimes. Also, we get 40 Million visitors a year, some of whom bring the crime with them.

I can't speak for the doctors. I have heard repeatedly that they are poor here but I haven't really needed one. I've had some dental work done here and haven't had any issue with my DDS.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
**Missing sarcasm in a post and responding with non-sarcasm**

LOL!!

Old 11-27-2018, 02:17 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,056,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
**Missing sarcasm in a post and responding with non-sarcasm**

LOL!!
Where was the sarcasm in the post I responded to? Care to point it out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas