Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 10:32 PM

117 posts, read 106,607 times

Advertisements

Before I moved here, I took the comments about Las Vegas drivers with a grain of salt. I've lived in a lot of places and they all had "the worst" drivers by local opinion. But holy *****.... I've never seen so many accidents, every day, as I've seen here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 10:44 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric3452 View Post
Before I moved here, I took the comments about Las Vegas drivers with a grain of salt. I've lived in a lot of places and they all had "the worst" drivers by local opinion. But holy *****.... I've never seen so many accidents, every day, as I've seen here.
According to the Allstate rack up Las Vegas is 117th and Henderson is 56th out of the 200 major cities.

Not great but not the bottom either.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:39 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
According to the Allstate rack up Las Vegas is 117th and Henderson is 56th out of the 200 major cities.

Not great but not the bottom either.
Wouldn't the bottom be the best?

Old 01-03-2019, 03:53 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
I know most people posting are products of the public school system, but this isn't a difficult concept to understand.
We don't actually teach people how to drive. The tests to get a license do not actually test driving skill. There's no real incentive to drive well. It's no wonder there's 6 million wrecks a year. No one knows how to drive. Even the cops who go through some semblance of training are awful drivers. I've been almost hit by cops so many times it's not funny.

My long term financial goals include lobbying the government to change driving standards and insurance laws.
I would like to get insurance companies to understand that if they pressure the country to be better drivers the insurance companies will make more profit and pay out way less money. Why they aren't doing it already is beyond me.

At least there is some good news on the horizon. Autonomous cars. A lot of people scoff, but it's coming a whole lot sooner than you think. We'll be better for it.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:52 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I know most people posting are products of the public school system, but this isn't a difficult concept to understand.
We don't actually teach people how to drive. The tests to get a license do not actually test driving skill. There's no real incentive to drive well. It's no wonder there's 6 million wrecks a year. No one knows how to drive. Even the cops who go through some semblance of training are awful drivers. I've been almost hit by cops so many times it's not funny.

My long term financial goals include lobbying the government to change driving standards and insurance laws.
I would like to get insurance companies to understand that if they pressure the country to be better drivers the insurance companies will make more profit and pay out way less money. Why they aren't doing it already is beyond me.

At least there is some good news on the horizon. Autonomous cars. A lot of people scoff, but it's coming a whole lot sooner than you think. We'll be better for it.
My eldest brat went to driving school, and then took a class out at The Speedway called “ Drivers Edge “ Mario Andretti’s grandson was his instructor. They taught him how to deal with a spin, and how to avoid obstacles like a spare mattress at high speeds. They come ( or used to ) several times a year, and it’s donation based.

I highly recommend the program for young drivers.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:13 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric3452 View Post
I only realized this a few months ago but I think another emerging factor may be that we now have young drivers who grew up with their eyes always focused on some electronic gadget in their hands while being driven places rather than watching what was going on around them and developing at least some sense of how things work on the road.

Previous generations entered drivers ed having at least a decent comprehension of the basics having observed thousands of hours of driving...it appears many of today's teens come in without this advantage.

Obviously, not a specific problem to LV but I believe it isn't helping things.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:34 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,600 times
A problem with our streets is that most of the drivers are from somewhere else, i.e. they don't grow up driving in Las Vegas. Therefore they all have different driving habits. I found this also to be the case in Washington D.C. when I moved there in the 90s.

Some people like to be right on your bumper, some people don't want to let you merge, other (well most) drive way too fast, perhaps because they come from areas that are even less crowded than our own streets, many don't stop for pedestrians or give way for cyclists, some states don't allow right turn on red, the list goes on.

And as alluded to above, you have the problem of people texting or using a phone while driving, not all of which are young drivers by far.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:00 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
If you are taught correctly and develop the right skills and attitude, it doesn't matter where you're driving. Driving school teaches that. Even the motorcycle defensive driver class (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) will make you a better driver on two and four wheels. It's inescapable.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:50 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
If you are taught correctly and develop the right skills and attitude, it doesn't matter where you're driving. Driving school teaches that. Even the motorcycle defensive driver class (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) will make you a better driver on two and four wheels. It's inescapable.
Education is the one thing that they can never take away from you.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:45 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,346,441 times
I had much rather drive here than Dallas, Atlanta or Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: