Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 03:54 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,058,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
While Philly is bad, I think NYC/Northeastern NJ and DC are worse.
DC was volleying #1 spot with LA and NYC for a few years there. Not sure where they are at now. The last time I was back in the DC area(about 2 years ago) the traffic was even worse than I remembered it when I left.

- Run every red light
- Yellow means floor it before the light turns red
- Floor it to the end of the on-ramp then cut off whoever is to the left of you, then slam on your brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of them
- Enter the highway and cut across 6 or 7 lanes of traffic to go immediately to the left lane
- Don't use turn signals
- Cut across 6 or 7 lanes of traffic to immediately exit the highway
- Don't use your turn signal
- Anything paved is a roadway
- Anything with grass on it is sometimes a roadway, if needed
- Drive over medians to make u-turns
- Make a left from the right lane
- Make a right from the left lane
- Signal one direction, then go the other
- Minimum rush hour speed is 80 Mph in a 55
- If you keep more than 1.5 car lengths ahead of you, be prepared to be cut-off over and over again until you close that gap
- Make any risky move necessary to get just one extra car length ahead
- Using turn signals is alerting everyone to your next move, then you can't get a jump on them

My car was being hit pretty regularly. Taps scrapes bumps. About once every 2 or 3 years, seriously enough to go into the shop. Most stuff is never reported to insurance or police because this stuff was happening all the time. I used to call driving home in rush-hour traffic going to play "bumper cars."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 09:14 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Spot on, equid0x. I haven't visited some of the other hot spots, like Boston, but I imagine it's just as bad.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:35 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
A couple of things I caught on dash cam last week.

In the top one watch the lane to my left. The light is very red when that cab goes through.

In the bottom one I'm going about 50. That Corvette was going fast enough that when I checked my rear view right before he went past he wasn't there.

https://imgur.com/a/BU1AzIV

Old 02-14-2019, 06:55 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
86 highway crashes..... great driving in Nevada.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/flood-warn...xT2549SITwNfzA

Old 02-14-2019, 11:14 PM

34 posts, read 21,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
86 highway crashes..... great driving in Nevada.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/flood-warn...xT2549SITwNfzA
The attached video is North on the 215 going home. (I live on the NW side)
Rained like hell but I had the Jeep in 4 wheel drive. (Disregard the date-time stamp. It doesn't work anymore on my dash cam)

https://youtu.be/C2K3gdGr7rk

Old 02-15-2019, 12:02 PM

10 posts, read 35,230 times
No disrespect but I think Nevada drivers are overly that great. I have never seen as many fender benders, crashes in comparison to the UK. I did pass my drive test 1st go here from the UK at W Flamingo and in comparison it was relatively easy. I do think the DMV should toughen up a bit. Not to sound disrespectful as I know there are plenty of good drivers here but I have witnessed many not even looking in mirrors, checking blind spots, just reversing out of spots with lack of mirror checks and just simply hoping for the best, poor lane positions, not adjusting speed to conditions, not understanding how a 4 way stop actually works etc. Just my thoughts.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:01 PM

307 posts, read 267,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakejon View Post
No disrespect but I think Nevada drivers are overly that great. I have never seen as many fender benders, crashes in comparison to the UK. I did pass my drive test 1st go here from the UK at W Flamingo and in comparison it was relatively easy. I do think the DMV should toughen up a bit. Not to sound disrespectful as I know there are plenty of good drivers here but I have witnessed many not even looking in mirrors, checking blind spots, just reversing out of spots with lack of mirror checks and just simply hoping for the best, poor lane positions, not adjusting speed to conditions, not understanding how a 4 way stop actually works etc. Just my thoughts.
No offense, but this is not Europe. Just by your observing what you have, you are being way too over analytical. We are all about getting from point A > B > A with little to no regard for common sense behavior. What you describe seems to be a very logical, basic "rules of the road" thought process. Well we don't do that here. Welcome to America.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:16 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Anytime I run into a very aggressive driver here in Tucson, my immediate thought: Oh crap! Somebody just moved here from Las Vegas!

Old 02-15-2019, 07:58 PM

307 posts, read 267,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Anytime I run into a very aggressive driver here in Tucson, my immediate thought: Oh crap! Somebody just moved here from Las Vegas!
PTSD via SoNev much?

Old 02-15-2019, 08:04 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,058,223 times
Most US states don't require any driving school before getting a license. Rules of the road are similar in each state, but have some variations like whether you can pass on the inside, or roll a right turn on a stop sign. Also, different regions have different driving styles.

Throw all of it together in an area with a lot of people from different places and you end up with a roadway circus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas