Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 08:45 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,705,983 times

Advertisements

My sister is considering moving to the Las Vegas area to be closer to me when I move back. She lives in a Chicago suburb and thinks she does not want to live in Las Vegas, it's "too close to the city".

I tried to explain to her that Las Vegas/Henderson is not a "big city" and there are no "suburbs".

Any input on what either of these what I would call "small towns" are like would be of interest to me and her. I was only in Pahrump once many, many years ago and don't remember much about it. We are both seniors and proximity to good health care (doctors, hospitals etc) is a concern.

The new "Ovation at Mountain Falls" 55+ community looks nice from the pictures of it on their website, but I'm currently on the east coast and won't be able to check it out until I move back west. House prices seem much lower than any comparable new construction I have seen in the Las Vegas area.

Thanks for the info and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 11:03 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
Look at Boulder City. Close to LV when you need it and not as far as Pahrump or Mesquite.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:44 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times
You should show your sister around Las Vegas. She will probably change her mind once she sees that most of the city is just a suburb.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:25 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,516,151 times
pahrump is not for everyone - show your sister around las vegas/boulder city, then mesquite & then pahrump. each location has a completely different feel to them.

pahrump has a hospital, dr's offices do exist here but i'm not a fan of the dr's in town. some people here love them, others choose to drive to vegas for dr appts.

if she doesn't need/want land:
Mountain Falls | Affordable Golf Course Living – Nevada
https://www.nevadagoodlife.com/

local real estate offices:
https://www.lbrenv.com/
Nevada Realty, Your Brokerage for Pahrump and Las Vegas Homes for Sale

i will gladly answer any questions you have about pahrump

Old 02-20-2019, 07:08 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
Boulder City real estate tends to be a bit pricey, because unlike other communities in the area, they have put a cap on growth.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:12 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
My sister is considering moving to the Las Vegas area to be closer to me when I move back. She lives in a Chicago suburb and thinks she does not want to live in Las Vegas, it's "too close to the city".

I tried to explain to her that Las Vegas/Henderson is not a "big city" and there are no "suburbs".

Any input on what either of these what I would call "small towns" are like would be of interest to me and her. I was only in Pahrump once many, many years ago and don't remember much about it. We are both seniors and proximity to good health care (doctors, hospitals etc) is a concern.

The new "Ovation at Mountain Falls" 55+ community looks nice from the pictures of it on their website, but I'm currently on the east coast and won't be able to check it out until I move back west. House prices seem much lower than any comparable new construction I have seen in the Las Vegas area.

Thanks for the info and opinions.

Actually, like someone else said, most of where everyone lives is the suburbs. Just think the perimeter of the valley. If you haven't been out here for awhile, this valley is very far and wide. The entire valley itself is huge.

I like Mesquite, but it's a very small town. Not for everyone. But it's close to St.George, Utah, and not that far from Las Vegas itself. Pahrump is OK, and about the same distance as Mesquite. I think it's less hot in the summer.

Why not do what a lot of seniors do, and live in senior area's. Plenty of 55+ communities around the valley. And Mesquite has a really nice Sun City too. Research the heck out of everything. Do not go for cheap and get stuck in Hell like others have done.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:43 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
I'm a Californian who became a NV resident because of taxes. I chose Pahrump and love it. I really do! The people are incredibly friendly, it's quirky but nice and Mountain Falls (where Ovation is) is beautiful. Once you drive in there, you'd never know you're in the desert. Mesquite is overpriced and I found the people there to be very controlling in Sun City.

Go for Pahrump!

Old 02-25-2019, 10:02 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
You don't consider Las Vegas a big city? The metro area is 2.3 million.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:40 AM

661 posts, read 630,964 times
Not compared to Chicago metro population of 9.5 million.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:11 PM

733 posts, read 351,228 times
I know Mesquite is a retirement community, is Pahrump too? Appears that housing is cheaper in Pahrump. Do most people work in Vegas and live in Pahrump? I need to take a trip out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada