Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 11:54 PM

3 posts, read 1,709 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been with the government for 13 years and the wife and our 4 kids are planning to move to Vegas in the summer of 2020. We currently live in Hawaii. My wife graduates from nursing school here in May of 2020 and we want to sell out house here, and buy a house in Summerlin or Southern Highlands and are looking in September 2019 at those areas. The kids are 9, 9, 7 and 2 currently. We also want to buy a house in the summer so they can start school in that particular district. The 2 eldest boys go to the ex wife in the mainland for the summer so I'd ideally like a house purchased by the time they come back. However, I have to most likely transfer as part time and than wait a few weeks to a few months until I get full time. Only then can we buy our home. We can't exceed 350k, is that doable in those areas? Also, what apartments would be affordable in those ares that are 2 bedroom. That way, in case I don't get full time right away, we are already in the school district we want.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 12:16 AM

158 posts, read 174,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinwillis1983 View Post
Hi, I've been with the government for 13 years and the wife and our 4 kids are planning to move to Vegas in the summer of 2020. We currently live in Hawaii. My wife graduates from nursing school here in May of 2020 and we want to sell out house here, and buy a house in Summerlin or Southern Highlands and are looking in September 2019 at those areas. The kids are 9, 9, 7 and 2 currently. We also want to buy a house in the summer so they can start school in that particular district. The 2 eldest boys go to the ex wife in the mainland for the summer so I'd ideally like a house purchased by the time they come back. However, I have to most likely transfer as part time and than wait a few weeks to a few months until I get full time. Only then can we buy our home. We can't exceed 350k, is that doable in those areas? Also, what apartments would be affordable in those ares that are 2 bedroom. That way, in case I don't get full time right away, we are already in the school district we want.

Thanks!
Hi, welcome to Las Vegas. The only SFH in Summerlin for 350K will be smaller and need work, but I believe it is worth it because of the excellent schools and amenities. I would also recommend staying in Summerlin at either Red Rock or the JW Marriott. Both are beautiful resorts that will give you a feel of the Summerlin lifestyle. My wife is an RN at Summerlin Hospital and see loves the management and her colleagues. They are always hiring as well. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2019, 01:18 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,632,517 times
Hmm from what I’ve seem and given your family size $350K is going to be extremely challenging. Are you sure you can’t go to $400K? There seems to be a lot more options at the $400K price but even still that’s a lot of kids in a small house. I’m not saying it’s not doable but you are talking about one of the top areas of The Valley for barely above the median home price for Las Vegas and a family of six. If you had 2 kids I’d say you’re fine, you’ll find something, but I agree you may need to find a home that requires some work. It won’t be very nice at that rate.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:00 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
From the OP re house size I'd wager the kids are used to bunk beds.

Quote:
Also, what apartments would be affordable in those ares that are 2 bedroom.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:05 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,986,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Hmm from what I’ve seem and given your family size $350K is going to be extremely challenging. Are you sure you can’t go to $400K? There seems to be a lot more options at the $400K price but even still that’s a lot of kids in a small house. I’m not saying it’s not doable but you are talking about one of the top areas of The Valley for barely above the median home price for Las Vegas and a family of six. If you had 2 kids I’d say you’re fine, you’ll find something, but I agree you may need to find a home that requires some work. It won’t be very nice at that rate.
buying for summer 2020, better think closer to 500k for a house that can accomodate

Old 04-29-2019, 03:37 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,374,038 times
You can get a 4br home in Summerlin for $350k but really limited choices. If stay on the west side but look just north or south of Summerlin in Spring Valley or Centennial hills area, many more choices and often lower HOA and other costs and still good schools. Here is a map of the good schools in LV area

Old 05-01-2019, 03:00 PM

60 posts, read 108,568 times
I think it depends on your standards. We lived in Summerlin from 2014-2016, moved away, and are now moving back to Vegas. We just bought in the NW because we were priced out of Summerlin after the summer real estate had in 2018. If you want something modern with 3+ bedrooms, I don't think you can find it for $350K in Summerlin. Some stuff comes up at $400K for 3+ bedrooms and modern, and it seems to move pretty fast. Less modern (1990s) 4+ bedrooms you see for $425K+ it seems like. Since we wanted 4+ bedrooms, modern, and a budget of $375-$400K, we had to look elsewhere.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:45 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,517 times
There are areas in the northwest outside Summerlin that may come closer to your budget.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:56 AM

3 posts, read 1,709 times
Thanks everyone! Our house here in Hawaii is only 1200 sq ft, 3 bedroom and 70+ years old but we make it work, so what's smaller for some of you folks is an upgrade for us.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:55 AM

661 posts, read 631,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You can get a 4br home in Summerlin for $350k but really limited choices. If stay on the west side but look just north or south of Summerlin in Spring Valley or Centennial hills area, many more choices and often lower HOA and other costs and still good schools. Here is a map of the good schools in LV area
Your map misses all the Magnet High Schools in the Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: