Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 01:04 PM

72 posts, read 46,352 times

Advertisements

My wife and I lived in Las Vegas about 15 years ago and we go back and visit every once in a while, so we are pretty familiar with the area. We are considering moving back to Las Vegas in a year or two. Since we moved away, we developed a love for mountain biking...
So, my question is, is there much of a mountain biking community in Las Vegas? I've watched some videos and have done some research and it looks like there are some solid trails in the Red Rock/Blue Diamond area. As well as some trails near Boulder City. Awesome!
Do the Local Bike Shops organize rides? Is there a local mountain bike association?
The heat is obviously oppressive in the summer, so is most of the riding done during winter months? Maybe super early morning rides during the summer?

Rattlesnakes... Do I have to be aware of rattlesnakes around every corner on the trails? It doesn't seem like it but I'm still curious.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 03:26 PM

238 posts, read 549,002 times
Bootleg Canyon has a mountain bike park.

https://mtbparks.com/Nevada/295-Boot...ml?item_id=120

I run on trails all over the valley and have yet to see a rattlesnake.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:03 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,560,075 times
I can't imagine riding in the summer anymore. I cycled the Blue Diamond route last summer for a few weeks(on my road bike, I don't mountain bike) and that got old real quick. I thought Summer 2019 would be short, I was wrong, it's just as long as last year. I'll wait till fall, I suggest you do as well.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:30 PM

414 posts, read 360,521 times
Apparently there are some trails at Mt Charleston which is a great place to go when the temperatures are high in the valley. Check out the MTB Project app.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:02 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,315,397 times
Check the Meetup groups. There are several geared to biking here in the valley.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:30 PM

I just saw there is a MTB park. Great! I've been looking at MTB Project and Trailforks but somehow I've missed Mt. Charleston.
I can't imagine doing much riding in the summer unless it's at 5am and yeah... I'm not always that motivated.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:15 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,036,223 times
I have not seen a rattlesnake here, but coyotes are often seen.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:35 AM

153 posts, read 249,266 times
Brought my Trek dual purpose with me from NY where I rode it a lot in decent weather, but it's been sitting in storage ever since. I suppose the cooler months would be OK to ride, but the drivers here seem to have little awareness of other cars let alone someone on a bike and I'd just rather not be on the same road as them. The roads in Red Rock canyon are beautiful to look at, but those hills aren't very inviting for me. Can anyone recommend a safe place to ride that's relatively level?

Old 07-24-2019, 07:31 AM

414 posts, read 360,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicKaysen View Post
Brought my Trek dual purpose with me from NY where I rode it a lot in decent weather, but it's been sitting in storage ever since. I suppose the cooler months would be OK to ride, but the drivers here seem to have little awareness of other cars let alone someone on a bike and I'd just rather not be on the same road as them. The roads in Red Rock canyon are beautiful to look at, but those hills aren't very inviting for me. Can anyone recommend a safe place to ride that's relatively level?
There's the 215 bikeway, although it's not very scenic. Also the River Mountains Loop around Lake Mead (https://www.nps.gov/lake/learn/river...loop-trail.htm) - car-free but it can be hilly at times. I don't think the hills are as bad as Red Rock and it is much easier to ride one way out and one way back than Red Rock so a less hilly section could be selected. I've seen a cyclist get hit by a car on the Red Rock loop road

I saw some nice paved car-free bike trails around St. George Utah although I have not ridden them myself.

My husband also hates hills so I'm considering converting his bike into an e-bike (it's not as expensive as I thought it would be) so he can join me for rides at River Mountains.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:11 AM

Road biking in Las Vegas would make me much more nervous than any mountain biking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas