Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 03:36 AM

755 posts, read 399,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
America's healthcare system is a joke. Pretty much any other country that isn't 3rd world has a better system.

It isn't the main reason I left, but it was a factor.
Right, that's why people with money come here for anything major. Help me, help me! Ha ha ha.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:37 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post

Isn't this exactly my point? Their healthcare system is far better than ours. Not only their healthcare, their whole country is far better than ours. Finland is #1 when it comes to happiness. All of the Nordic countries score higher than the United States.
....So Finland is the worst of the Nordic countries when it comes to healthcare at 4% reporting unmet needs. In the United States, 13.7% do not even have insurance. Then you have all the people who have insurance who cannot afford the deductibles. Thank you for the article which shows that the Nordic countries have a far better healthcare system than ours. I really appreciate it.
Not sure why you are bothering with any sensible talk.

Tax rates are much higher in countries with a good healthcare system, it's not just Nordic countries and other European countries, take Australia for example.

Unfortunately America won't stand for higher tax rates because it takes away too much money from the rich and ultra rich.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:19 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Quote:
Not sure why you are bothering with any sensible talk.

Tax rates are much higher in countries with a good healthcare system, it's not just Nordic countries and other European countries, take Australia for example.

Unfortunately America won't stand for higher tax rates because it takes away too much money from the rich and ultra rich.
Correct.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:42 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
"But Finland’s 130-year-old health care system does have a lot going for it. Not only is the vast majority of the population — 88% — happy with the system, its virtually free care for all means that no Finn has ever been in the red because of medical costs alone (though that doesn’t mean there aren’t complaints)."

"The “Nordic model” consists of strong welfare states funded by relatively high levels of taxation, which enable governments to provide high-quality education and health care for all"

"Then there is the quality of the system, in terms of patient care outcomes. Finland is one of the five countries with the lowest maternal mortality rates, and Finns have longer life expectancy than Americans. Finland also comes out among the top countries in the world for access to health care."

Isn't this exactly my point? Their healthcare system is far better than ours. Not only their healthcare, their whole country is far better than ours. Finland is #1 when it comes to happiness. All of the Nordic countries score higher than the United States. I guess the quote below is what you are looking for.

"Way back in 2013, the international Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development was already warning that Finland was lagging behind many other OECD countries in having high rates of unmet needs. At the time, more than 4% of Finnish people reported unmet medical needs due to cost, travel distance or waiting lists — a proportion significantly higher than in Denmark, Norway, Sweden and the Netherlands."

So Finland is the worst of the Nordic countries when it comes to healthcare at 4% reporting unmet needs. In the United States, 13.7% do not even have insurance. Then you have all the people who have insurance who cannot afford the deductibles. Thank you for the article which shows that the Nordic countries have a far better healthcare system than ours. I really appreciate it.
Sure, it's great until the government can't pay for it anymore. Read the rest of the article. And Google "Finland Healthcare Collapse".

I'm not saying our healthcare system doesn't need reform. But the idyllic Nordic system has its issues too. Let's not be blind to that.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:57 PM

15,855 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Not to mention the middle class also. The tax system was always designed to collect as much as possible from the middle class. Why? It's easier. The rich can make it much more difficult in any number of ways.

Quote:

Old 08-21-2019, 02:05 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Most of those low paying jobs will be gone once Amazon automates all of its warehouses. That means thousands of people out of work in Las Vegas within the next 5-10 years.
Any jobs destroyed are likely to be replaced by new jobs created that have higher value-add. Just like always. Same as it ever was.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I haven't looked at the numbers, but I assume the wealth Gap is at its widest its ever been. Doesn't exactly sound like a great economy, unless your last name is Walton.
The economy is going gangbusters. This is as good as it has been in the memory of anyone alive. Unemployment is at or near all-time lows. Even unemployment among teenagers, those without HS degrees, and traditionally hard-hit minorities is at all-time lows. The value of retirement plans is up. The value of 401Ks, which had been decimated under the disastrous economic policies of the Obama regime, are now at all-time highs. Ditto for IRAs. New business formation is up. Free cash flow generated by small businesses is better than it has ever been - period.

Yes, it is a great economy.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svoboda View Post
If the economy is doing so well right now, why did Trump tweet this morning to lower rates 1% and print more money?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...72273388576768

Please educate me.
The state of the economy is not a function of anyone's tweets.

At the same time, Trump is correct that there is a currency war going on - many countries in the world have taken steps to devalue their currency, which makes US goods and services more expensive than prior to devaluation, thereby curtailing exports of goods and services. Because US rates are higher than they ought to be relative to interest rates in China and Europe (and elsewhere), foreign money is flowing to the US to invest in US short and long term treasuries. This is the primary driver of the momentary inversions we've had.

It would be best to stop following Trump Tweets. Instead, pay attention to actions of the administration. The regulatory environment is better than it has been in decades. Trump is correct to demand China stop stealing the IP of US Companies, and the tariffs are part of putting pressure on China to agree to stop stealing our IP.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
No, I already moved to a much better country than the US.
Where?

Old 08-21-2019, 02:29 PM

15,855 posts, read 14,479,382 times
If that were going to happen, we'd be seeing it by now. We haven't. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Any jobs destroyed are likely to be replaced by new jobs created that have higher value-add. Just like always. Same as it ever was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas