Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 07:10 PM

278 posts, read 1,083,721 times

Advertisements

We were driving down the 95 today from the Summerlin Pkwy and I could not get over the amount of trash that had accumulated on the sides of the highway. This is the worst I have seen it since moving here last year. Did I miss something in the news about budget cuts for roadside cleanup? Is it from the trash trucks or really lazy people who can not take the trash home and throw it out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 09:18 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOHR View Post
We were driving down the 95 today from the Summerlin Pkwy and I could not get over the amount of trash that had accumulated on the sides of the highway. This is the worst I have seen it since moving here last year. Did I miss something in the news about budget cuts for roadside cleanup? Is it from the trash trucks or really lazy people who can not take the trash home and throw it out there?
You are in the desert. The wind blows a lot and there is nothing to stop things from blowing around, and no vegetation like you would find in other areas to hide it. Wherever you are from there is probably just as much but it isn't obvious where there are trees and bushes to hide it. It is a common problem for desert communities. But you are right that it doesn't get cleaned up very often. That's why you see signs along the road advertising local businesses and organizations that have taken responsibility for the clean-up of sections of highway. They just don't get around to it very often.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:19 PM

638 posts, read 2,242,915 times
It has been confirmed that the city of Las Vegas is cutting back on street cleaning due to budget problems. I can't comment on the county though. It is a valley wide problem. We have billion dollar resorts up and down the blvd, yet the streets are covered in trash. Its an eyesore.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:40 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
It has been confirmed that the city of Las Vegas is cutting back on street cleaning due to budget problems. I can't comment on the county though. It is a valley wide problem. We have billion dollar resorts up and down the blvd, yet the streets are covered in trash. Its an eyesore.
The Freeways would be serviced by NDOT - that is State of Nevada. I don't think it has anything to do with Clark County or the City of LV. Generally picked up by public service or prisoner crews I believe. the strip and major arteries in the area are cleaned every night.

There is a famous problem on 15 toward Apex created by the Republic Trucks though I thougth that under control.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:02 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Are you talking about actual garbage or the "trash" that stands along the highway ramps with the "Lost At The Tables- Need Gas Money" signs? lol

Old 07-20-2008, 11:54 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,862,964 times
Apparently illegal dumping is a larger problem in LV than in many other cities. There was an article in one of the local news sources a few months ago about rampant dumping in the parks and even Lake Mead national park.

Accrording to the story, it's illegal aliens and other less than model citizens who don't pay Republic for trash pickup. They just dump their junk periodically wherever they want.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:01 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Are you talking about actual garbage or the "trash" that stands along the highway ramps with the "Lost At The Tables- Need Gas Money" signs? lol
You know I was just thinking that today. Sitting at the usual red light I happen to look down and there were several peices of cardboard that a homeless person left behind. One said somthing about hungry and homeless and another was folded with writing I could not read. I was also thinking that the beggers seemed to have increased with the recession.

I do get suspicious when I see a begger with clean cloths and clean shaven. Do they have washing machines, showers and electric razors under the 15 bridges?

Old 07-21-2008, 03:08 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
apparently they do at the Cheyenne overpass...it seems like everyday there's a new homeless person, but its the same sign and they never do look the part...

Old 07-21-2008, 08:13 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

I do get suspicious when I see a begger with clean cloths and clean shaven. Do they have washing machines, showers and electric razors under the 15 bridges?
I truly believe that there's a company in Vegas that, for a fee, will set you up with the dirty clothes, crutch and cardboard sign, and drop you off at/pick you up from a highway interchange in exchange for a percentage of what you collect. When I first moved there, I saw a guy at the exit ramp onto Flamingo, and thought "gee, here's a guy who's down on his luck- what a bummer". After seeing him for a few days, I began to get suspiscious. Turns out he was at that intersection every day for around 3 months with his "lost it all at the tables- need gas money to get home" sign, and yet he never got any thinner or dirtier. Of course, for the tourist who was only in town for a few days, they'd never see him long enough to catch on.

There was also a "pregnant" woman up off of Charleston- the strange part was, she was extremely "pregnant" for the better part of a year. Freakin' losers.........

Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
Ahhhh New Mexico has a problem like that! and i hate it, i think they should raise the littering fines to $1,000...why give pity to people that are lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas