Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 04:26 PM

172 posts, read 558,896 times

Advertisements

Would like to do a little walking on Mt. Charleston however I broke my foot in March (8 breaks and a lis franc tear) and even though I am healing I may never be able to do certain exercises again. So Anyway....just wondering which trail might be good for a fairly easy walk for me as well as kids.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 05:30 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,415,677 times
how much is too much?

you looking for short hikes, easy hikes, good flat trails or just a combination?

maybe this will be of some help: Hiking Around the Spring Mountains (Mt. Charleston) - Overview

hope so. have fun.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:54 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
how much is too much?

you looking for short hikes, easy hikes, good flat trails or just a combination?

maybe this will be of some help: Hiking Around the Spring Mountains (Mt. Charleston) - Overview

hope so. have fun.
Wow! Good website! I tried to give ya a reppie bing but it said I had to (in my best Barry White voice) "spread the love..."

A few years ago (won't say how many) a couple of us decided to hike up the Cathedral Rock trail.

Man, that was brutal...thought my thighs were going to explode and I was gonna keel over. The air is thinner as you climb higher, you get winded and tired more easily...

But man, that was so much fun...and the view on top...like you went to Heaven!

Now, I limit myself to the really easy trails...(Desert Overlook)

Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
It can be pretty strenuous to hike up there as most hikes are steep. If you just want to walk around a little, go to the lodge and walk around the campgrounds, or just up the south loop trail a ways behind the lodge. If you can do a little more, the north loop to the horse trough is pretty good. Cathedral Rock is an easy hike is you are in fairly good shape. They are all difficult if you aren't in good shape. There is one that starts at the Lee Canyon Ski area upper parking lot that you could take for a little ways and come back. It's a loop but it sounds like you might not be up to the whole loop. There is always the meadow just below the ski area where everyone goes to X-C ski and sled ride. If you have a truck or 4X4 take the Harris Canyon road to the end and walk up that trail until it gets too difficult and come back. Fletcher Canyon is a pretty easy trail too. You might find easier walks at Red Rock Canyon when it cools off some, but I understand why you'd want to be up on the mountain.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:46 PM

289 posts, read 1,039,912 times
You should do the Bristlecone Trail:

Bristlecone Trail

I just did it with my wife about a month ago (and she doesn't exactly love hiking) and she had a good time. Not too hard or strenuous. I've done the Cathedral Rock hike and that was MUCH harder than this one.

The Bristlecone Trail is very easy to find. Just take the highway all the way up to the ski slope, then circle around to the end of the parking lot and bingo - there's the trailhead. Can't miss it.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:10 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
how much is too much?

hope so. have fun.
I like the combinations, short, easy, flat. Although I don't mind a good strenuous workout once in a while with a harder trail.

I always feel so good after a day of hiking around Mt. Charleston, I become energized, both mentally and physically. Good for the body and soul....

Thanks for the link jim...

Old 08-07-2008, 11:14 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
There is one that starts at the Lee Canyon Ski area upper parking lot that you could take for a little ways and come back. It's a loop but it sounds like you might not be up to the whole loop.
Yep, that's the Bristlecone trail. Nice hike and not too strenuous. Don't remember if you actually see any bristlecone pines but you probably do. They are the oldest living thing on earth ya know.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:20 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
They are the oldest living thing on earth ya know.
They knocked olecapt outta that spot????????

Old 08-07-2008, 11:27 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,415,677 times
Quote:
Yep, that's the Bristlecone trail. Nice hike and not too strenuous. Don't remember if you actually see any bristlecone pines but you probably do. They are the oldest living thing on earth ya know.
you definitely see bristlecone, although they aren't the gnarled morphology you see associated w/ the really old, higher altitude ones. you can still readily tell them by the bottle brush-like needle groupings.

that was the trail i was going to initially recommend, but since i have really only done it in the winter (it was several feet under snow at the time) i wasn't sure how hard it was.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:03 PM

172 posts, read 558,896 times
Thanks for the info. I will check this one out. I have to stay pretty easy for now but I can't get over the beauty and the comfortable temps on Mt. Charleston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas