Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 01:02 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times

Advertisements

I am so confused on what to do right now, I thought I would ask for some help from relatively unbiased folks...I can't ask my family or his because they would have personal views attached. Here goes:

Everyone probably knows MI is hurting bad and has been for far longer than most states. That said, my husband's employer asked him to transfer to the Vegas area. Said he had tons of work for him and much better opportunity. (foreman, superintendent, more money...)

So...he took the transfer. This could be anywhere from 1.5 yrs to 10. He came out in July and I followed with my 14yo daughter in August. I left 3 of my children back in MI-2 daughters-24 and 23 who are now pregnant and due in April and May with their first babies, and a son, 18 who lives with his dad.

We rented an apt for 6 mos to see if we would like the area and such. We chose this apt. due to alot of factors-best high school, close proximity to his job and it was nice. The lease is up in Dec. In order for us to stay in Henderson we would have to either re-lease or buy an apt/condo. Housing in this area is still a little too high for us with the house back in MI. I don't wish to keep paying rent here, they are going to raise it, and the apt./condo thing just doesn't seem real smart. High HOAs and let's face it-they are apts. They don't resell well at all. But you can get them fairly cheap and the pmt would be cheaper than renting.

Other option is to buy in the NW, nice area. Good prices for the homes. But...my daughter would have to change schools again and mid-year to boot. Not thrilled about that at all. Plus, we would want to fly back for the babies occasionally. Not cheap either.

Or...I go home with her and let her finish out HS there (she would be thrilled)and my husband and I would just commute back and forth when we could until she graduates, then I would move here. He would possibly stay with another guy to save money and look for a home to purchase. BTW, she is in 9th grade so it would be 3.5 yrs 'til graduation.

There would be the cost of moving things back home after we just did this 2.5 mos ago. Ugh. And probably storing some things for my husband until he gets a house.

I feel like this is an no-win situation as I would feel guilty either way I go.

Hence, the confusion and the feeling a little down today.

So...what do I do?

Old 11-04-2008, 02:04 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,748 times
You do have many options to consider. Having said that I would worry the least about changing schools in the 9th grade. Many students move from 9th grade centers to full high schools and leave behind friends. Also, with the job situation as it is, I feel keeping and maintaining a job is most important. I think you could explain the importance of dad's employment for the family. You didn't mention if your daughter is 'against' changing schools. There's always the possibility that she might like the next school even better.

It would be extremely difficult to miss the birth of those grandchildren but it sounds like you could plan regular visits anyway. If I felt my marriage is something worth saving and sticking with and if you and your husband are real partners in this decision, then I would have to stay somewhere in the Vegas area. You didn't really mention how each of you 'like' Vegas. Are there activities that you found to your liking?

Make a list of the pluses and minuses. Then compare. That might help you in making the best decision for you, hubby, daughter and kids back in MI. Good luck!

Old 11-04-2008, 03:00 PM

Back in MI middle school was 7th-9th. So, coming here she was going into HS earlier than there. We were ok with that because it would be new to all the 9th graders. She has made some good friends. She is kind of shy, but she manages. She didn't even want to eat lunch for the first couple days because she didn't want to sit alone. If I move to the NW here, she will move in Jan. to start the new semester-still in 9th grade. She is absolutely not happy about it. Makes me feel awful.

I didn't want too much of our personal opinions on the area because I thought that would come into play more than the reality of all the options. But, yes, we do both love it here. Love the weather, the area, the mountains...

Probably the minus side is that the house lots are so incredibly crammed together because the smart builders got greedy and crammed tons of homes together-gave them no yards, front or back. You can find some in the older areas, but they are not really the areas I want to buy in.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Old 11-04-2008, 03:12 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
Kimba, I read your post however, did you say that you still own a house back in Michigan or not? I don't see where you said one way or the other..

Old 11-04-2008, 03:15 PM

Yes, my oldest daughter and her BF are staying there now. They are paying a little less than half the mtg.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Yes, my oldest daughter and her BF are staying there now. They are paying a little less than half the mtg.
Do you plan on keeping the house?

Old 11-04-2008, 04:31 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Kimba-I can appreciate your being torn but the only one who can answer this,dearheart, is you. I think deep in you already know (but unsure) and want a yah or nay.

Go with your gut girl and best of luck.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Do you plan on keeping the house?

Well, due to MI economics-we probably would have a hard time selling it, so yeah we don't have any plans to sell it.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Kimba-I can appreciate your being torn but the only one who can answer this,dearheart, is you. I think deep in you already know (but unsure) and want a yah or nay.

Go with your gut girl and best of luck.

Deep down I know that I am the only one that can make the final decision-yes.

I guess I thought it would just help to hear what others thought. You're right about the gut though. There are many times that I don't go with my gut and regret it. Then, I whack myself upside the head and say, "I knew it, I should have gone with my gut". I need to clean out the corners of the gut and get to the bottom of it! Thanks!!

Worse thing about it is that I don't feel there is a great choice, either way, and I feel that I am the one that loses. I know it will work itself out either way I choose and we will deal with the outcomes, but it is so confusing-I just feel displaced/lost.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Well, due to MI economics-we probably would have a hard time selling it, so yeah we don't have any plans to sell it.
hmmm, I would think one of the first things you would do would be to look how your financial situation is, if your daughter is paying a good portion of the mortgage on the house maybe there is an opportunity here to rent it to her and her boyfriend to cover the mortgage and that could possibly free up some of your finances so that you can find a better place where you're at, just an idea and it keeps the house and the family and you're helping your daughter out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas