Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:43 PM

471 posts, read 625,407 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Vegas in the Spring to attend UNLV. I'm on depression meds because I'm a pretty lame individual bc there's nothing to do where I live hence my move to vegas.

but The main reason I'm on the depression meds is bc my friends went to diff colleges and meeting people in college has been tough

I'm moving to Vegas to have more things to do and make friends and get a gf. If I do not do these things I'd be more devastated bc Vegas is my last hope.

So...ya Im worried about the high suicide rate since I am on depression meds and my concern is that I'd be crushed if I didn't have a fun life in vegas.

Sorry for the litany doesn't have much to do with the question haha.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:03 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,333,552 times
Maybe it is the high divorce rate, the high drop out rate, the high forclosure rate, high unemployment rate, the high political corruption rate, or perhaps the high Cirque du Soleil rate.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:04 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusman199 View Post
I'm moving to Vegas in the Spring to attend UNLV. I'm on depression meds because I'm a pretty lame individual bc there's nothing to do where I live hence my move to vegas.

but The main reason I'm on the depression meds is bc my friends went to diff colleges and meeting people in college has been tough

I'm moving to Vegas to have more things to do and make friends and get a gf. If I do not do these things I'd be more devastated bc Vegas is my last hope.

So...ya Im worried about the high suicide rate since I am on depression meds and my concern is that I'd be crushed if I didn't have a fun life in vegas.

Only you can make sure you have a fun life no matter where you live. A place will not make you happy. People won't make you happy. Look within and find the happiness within yourself and you can go anywhere and be happy.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:20 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,160,812 times
Quote:

I believe suicide is a personal thing based on how strong an individual can be. Should not really have anything to do with your area or surroundings. If I can make it through Iraq 3 seperate times, anyone can make it through anywhere in the states.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Only you can make sure you have a fun life no matter where you live. A place will not make you happy. People won't make you happy. Look within and find the happiness within yourself and you can go anywhere and be happy.

well honestly i respect that a lot but i enjoy going out and having a good times at the clubs, watch shows, fine dine, etc

where i live there are no clubs, shows, not any restaurants. im looking to live a more entertaining life b/c it will make me happier.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I believe suicide is a personal thing based on how strong an individual can be. Should not really have anything to do with your area or surroundings. If I can make it through Iraq 3 seperate times, anyone can make it through anywhere in the states.

we honor and respect you for your sacrifice and service.

i guess everything is relative. im sure people in Africa who are unable to eat because of poverty would appreciate a life in America. But in all honesty, it's almost impossible for me to see that way because my circumstance is different

Old 11-08-2008, 05:49 AM

162 posts, read 467,642 times
Quote:
well honestly i respect that a lot but i enjoy going out and having a good times at the clubs, watch shows, fine dine, etc

where i live there are no clubs, shows, not any restaurants. im looking to live a more entertaining life b/c it will make me happier.
Um, in this town, that all gets VERY EXPENSIVE quick! And personally I think college life here sucks!(I go to UNLV) Because of the campus' proximity to the strip there is absolutely no college "scene" at all.

Not to mention that the heat is miserable, as is the economy. I hope you dont need to get a job when you come out here, cuz they are hard to find...

Best of luck to you though, and depression really IS in your head. To tell you the truth I was depressed and then I moved down here, got back into school, and got A LOT better over time

Hope everything works out for you bro

Old 11-08-2008, 08:43 AM

7 posts, read 24,553 times
Only you can make your own happiness. I've had three suicides close to me here in Las Vegas, one was my mom. My mom had a gambling problem, she also had a herniated disk in her back (she was newly employed by Southwest Medical and they wouldn't give her time off to get it fixed) and the other two people were clinically depressed. One was a friend of my mom's and one was a friend of mine.

I take Prozac and haven't been depressed for ages. As long as your chemicals are balanced out, it's up to you to provide your own happiness. I have a daughter in middle school and I tell her to count her blessings all the time. You need to find things that make you happy and then pursue those things.

I went to UNLV and loved it!

Old 11-08-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
Um, in this town, that all gets VERY EXPENSIVE quick! And personally I think college life here sucks!(I go to UNLV) Because of the campus' proximity to the strip there is absolutely no college "scene" at all.

Not to mention that the heat is miserable, as is the economy. I hope you dont need to get a job when you come out here, cuz they are hard to find...

Best of luck to you though, and depression really IS in your head. To tell you the truth I was depressed and then I moved down here, got back into school, and got A LOT better over time

Hope everything works out for you bro

You go to UNLV? Awesome. What is the best way to meet people and make friends on campus? Would you suggest joining a frat?

Old 11-08-2008, 02:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
do you have any idea how fast your money can disappear at a high stakes crap game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas