Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,394 times

Advertisements

My family is thinking about moving to Vegas mid this year. We are a family of 5 with a dog. Dad's a car mechanic and my mom's an activity coordinator at elderly day care center here in Southern California. The three kid's ages are 21, 17, and 14. We are thinking about moving into the Henderson area, because from what I hear it is a good place for our family. If you disagree please tell me why, and where else you would think would be a better area for us. I'm thinking about transferring to UNLV or going to a community college in the area if I'm not able to transfer when I apply the first time. My brother is going to graduate high school here before we move, and is thinking about attending the Arts Institute in Vegas. My sister will start 10th grade when/if we move. If we do move, we're thinking about either buying a condo or house in the proce range of 350,000-450,000.

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated.
I'm the 21 year old son btw with more than 60 transferable semester units. (Bio, possible pre-med)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 06:15 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,014,708 times
unlv is good for hospitality management, not much more... at 350-450, if you look at bankowned, you can buy a monster!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:16 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,227,499 times
There are innumberables areas that would fit your needs. If you choose to you can have a 4000SF McMansion in a couple of places with a good high school.

In fact the biggest differentiator is probably high school for the youngest. And that depends on what is needed.

Contrary to my friend Airics UNLV has a number of reasonable schools. It tends to resemble a "day school" rather than a "go away" university. But that appears to be what you seek. It is more comparlabe to the Cal States than to UCLA or Berkeley. Than again I also though Cal State Long Beach was a fine school.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,014,708 times
didnt mean to imply that unlv was bad.. it is excellent for hospitality mgmt, whereas you mentioned bio premed.. i think u need a cali or midwest (dare i say ohio) that is better suited

Old 01-16-2009, 01:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,394 times
If I stay here I'll probably end up at a Cal State anyway, so I'll be happy with UNLV. And yes, most important is the high school for my lil sister. What areas are there other than Henderson that you guys think would be a good fit for us?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:19 AM

65 posts, read 231,294 times
We live in Seven Hills and we love it. Our children our younger so I can't speak from personal experience, but Coronado is a pretty good high school from what I have heard.

We have had some issues with the elementary schools...but that is another story

Old 01-16-2009, 10:38 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,227,499 times
Coronado and Green Valley are fine. So are the NW trio...Shadow Ridge, Arbor View and Centennial. Palo Verde in Summerlin is fine but overcrowded.

Watch out for rezoning at Coronado...something has to give there.

There is a ranking of all the high schools at....

Schools of Las Vegas Rankings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas