Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 04:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Thankless, in my experience, means treated like crap for no real reason.

I hate pleasantries, and small talk, but I am still nice, and polite to everyone I encounter who is working unless they are rude to me.

I worked at a gas station a long time ago. Most of the customers were nice. It was third shift, so most were regulars.
One night, a well dressed man came in, walked to the rear of the store, the furthest point from the register, and asked me a question. I didn't hear what he said, so I asked "What?"
No attitude, no ill will, just a simple request for him to repeat what he said.
He almost ran up to the counter, while yelling "You don't say what to me expletive expletive. I asked you a question, you answer me."
I told him that I didn't hear his question, hence the what.
He flew into a rage. He grabbed a 12 pack of soda from the display in front of the counter, and threw it at my head, with such force, that it obliterated the cigarette display behind me, and exploded several cans. I ducked, narrowly avoiding the flying 12 pack. Having missed, he threw a second 12 pack. I dodged it too, and pointed to the camera "You're on camera expletive." and picked up the phone to call 911.

I called the manager, who was due to be in within the hour anyway, to let her know what happened.
She had no concern with my well being. She asked if the store was ok, and said "You need to finish your shift, I'm not coming in early."

That was my last day. It wasn't because of the customer, it was because of the manager.
I didn't expect to be babied, but "are you hurt?" would have been a nice thing to ask.
Your manager's response was negligent imo and you should have quit. You should have also filed a complaint with your state labor board. You quit for good cause.I hope you filed for unemployment benefits.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:31 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
I was denied unemployment. I ended up getting a better job. A much better job.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I was denied unemployment. I ended up getting a better job. A much better job.

When you filed for unemployment, did you tell them that your employer had no concern for employee safety and cite your incident?

Old 01-17-2015, 04:36 PM
EA

Yes.

I have no luck with unemployment. I have never successfully filed. I filed for unemployment here, 48 days ago, and still nothing. I even have a legitimate claim.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:39 PM

That is odd. What state is this and did the employer have to attend a hearing to refute your claim

Old 01-17-2015, 04:45 PM
EA

The first was in NC, and no, the employer didn't have to do anything. The unemployment office rejected me.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
The first was in NC, and no, the employer didn't have to do anything. The unemployment office rejected me.
You should have appealed. That denial was wrong.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:35 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Thankless, in my experience, means treated like crap for no real reason.

I hate pleasantries, and small talk, but I am still nice, and polite to everyone I encounter who is working unless they are rude to me.

I worked at a gas station a long time ago. Most of the customers were nice. It was third shift, so most were regulars.
One night, a well dressed man came in, walked to the rear of the store, the furthest point from the register, and asked me a question. I didn't hear what he said, so I asked "What?"
No attitude, no ill will, just a simple request for him to repeat what he said.
He almost ran up to the counter, while yelling "You don't say what to me expletive expletive. I asked you a question, you answer me."
I told him that I didn't hear his question, hence the what.
He flew into a rage. He grabbed a 12 pack of soda from the display in front of the counter, and threw it at my head, with such force, that it obliterated the cigarette display behind me, and exploded several cans. I ducked, narrowly avoiding the flying 12 pack. Having missed, he threw a second 12 pack. I dodged it too, and pointed to the camera "You're on camera expletive." and picked up the phone to call 911.

I called the manager, who was due to be in within the hour anyway, to let her know what happened.
She had no concern with my well being. She asked if the store was ok, and said "You need to finish your shift, I'm not coming in early."

That was my last day. It wasn't because of the customer, it was because of the manager.
I didn't expect to be babied, but "are you hurt?" would have been a nice thing to ask.
What would have happened if the irate customer shot you and you called the manager? She would have probably told you not to bleed all over the merchandise and finish your shift. I would have quit like you did since I refuse to work for someone like that.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:46 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Ive been putting out feelers for positions on the strip and trying to see what I can find...I want to do my best to have at the very least interviews lined up before I come back out
Are you decent looking Davie?

Apprentice Bartender Model Seasonal Jobs in Las Vegas, Nevada - Wynn Las Vegas

Old 01-18-2015, 08:18 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
I just got wifi reinstalled at the house, so I'll look tomorrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas