Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 10:55 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

So sorry to hear this EA, first you get the speeding ticket, and now this, after another accident earlier.

I only use my car to drive to work from DI/Pecos to work, I-15 & Cheyenne, 3 nights a week, I do my grocery shopping, or any other shopping (Wal-Mart/Home Depot opens at 6am) after work, on the way home, and on my 4 days off, I may just go over to Chinatown for a late dinner, or drive to the Strip to walk my ferret. That's the extent of my Las Vegas driving.

Supplementing that, is my late night bike rides between 3am-5am, in residential areas where there's little or no traffic.

My most stressful day of the year just passed this morning, as I took my 1985 Toyota Supra for a smog test at Jiffy Lube! In preparation, I drove up to Glendale and back, to get the car really hot, and an oil change last week, and I did as I was told to prepare for it. Passed with flying colors! My 31YO car!

And a $50 tip to the Smog tester! I do that everytime it passes!

Old 12-08-2015, 12:23 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,057,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So sorry to hear this EA, first you get the speeding ticket, and now this, after another accident earlier.

I only use my car to drive to work from DI/Pecos to work, I-15 & Cheyenne, 3 nights a week, I do my grocery shopping, or any other shopping (Wal-Mart/Home Depot opens at 6am) after work, on the way home, and on my 4 days off, I may just go over to Chinatown for a late dinner, or drive to the Strip to walk my ferret. That's the extent of my Las Vegas driving.

Supplementing that, is my late night bike rides between 3am-5am, in residential areas where there's little or no traffic.

My most stressful day of the year just passed this morning, as I took my 1985 Toyota Supra for a smog test at Jiffy Lube! In preparation, I drove up to Glendale and back, to get the car really hot, and an oil change last week, and I did as I was told to prepare for it. Passed with flying colors! My 31YO car!

It sounds like you drive your car well under 5,000 miles a year. Why not get classic plates? You pay an extra $10 a year for the plates and you will be exempt from the smog test. Not only will the classic plates save you money, you will not have to go through the yearly headache of dealing with the smog test.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:46 AM

What I really need to do is get the car appraised and get better insurance coverage, for as it stands right now, it's off blue book, if it's stolen, there'll be no compensation! Right now I only carry liability!

Old 12-08-2015, 05:23 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
I would love to have an mkii. But yeah, make sure you have plenty of insurance on yourself, because no one else will.
I have the most coverage I could afford, which in this state, is not much.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:50 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I hope you are joking about that tip. LOL

Old 12-08-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I hope you are joking about that tip. LOL
Old Indian saying: Give $10 away and $30 will come back to you, in some form or another! So I'm expecting $150 to return to me, in some form or another.

I always tip good after a smog test if it passes.

One time, I had to have some work done to get it passed, $300 worth, and given the hassle involved, getting it re-smogged, $50 is a bargain tip, in comparison.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:04 AM
EA

I only "tip" when it doesn't pass to change it to a pass.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:41 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I only "tip" when it doesn't pass to change it to a pass.

LOL My car just passed, and it was a hold your breath and fingers crossed moment!

Yeah, someone doing emissions testing...they don't "make" the car pass unless they are doing so illegally, and even then it would be quite difficult if not impossible. The car is going to pass or fail, what the person administering it does has nothing to do with that!

If anyone deserved a tip, it was my mechanic who actually diagnosed and fixed the issue that would have caused it to fail

Old 12-08-2015, 04:15 PM
EA

I have friends that do this testing. Super easy to make cars pass that shouldn't.

My i35 has a bad o2 sensor. 1 of 2. They don't really do anything anyway so 1 is plenty.
Anyway, I went to 2 places and the second one passed it for me.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:03 PM

Well, perhaps, my car didn't pass the smog test! I told the smog tester, I always tip $50 if the car passes, so will I ever know if she rigged it to pass? Although, last year, I didn't tell the smog tester that and it did pass!

I do know these tests can be rigged to pass!

When I bought this car, back in 2002, from a dealer in Pahrump, I followed him back to Las Vegas, and I could tell this car needed a valve job, as the car was blowing smoke all the way over there. But he assured me, the car would pass the smog test. So, en route, he pulled into a smog place on Blue Diamond, and it passed! With all the smoke blowing out of the tail pipe?

Being a dealer, he probably has a deal going with this smog testing place, no?

I have a Mexican roommate, and about 5 years ago, me worried about it passing, he suggested a site in NLV, where for $60 they'd pass any vehicle.

You know all too well, the poor are unable to make those repairs on their cars to get it passed, and they have to go somewhere!

I'm sure it's no different in AZ or CA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas