Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2010, 11:47 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Actually, I'm not a big fan of either, but my wife and I enjoy going to almost any type of social event or festival. This afternoon, for example, we're heading downtown to the German-American Social Club's Oktoberfest.

German American Social Club Of Nevada (http://www.germanamericansocialclubofnevada.org/Oktoberfest2010.htm - broken link)
Make sure you go to the Bite of Las Vegas next weekend. Always a lot of fun. Plus you get to sample tons of food places for cheap.

Mix 94.1′s Bite of Las Vegas « Mix 94.1 Today

Old 10-16-2010, 12:03 PM

487 posts, read 747,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
So now you are basically (in a round about way) calling me a stupid idiot? Sorry, I am not going to engage in personal attacks with you. I am better than that. For the record, I could care less what you or anyone else thinks of me on this forum. I have a thick skin so just forget about the insults. It is just an anonymous online forum after all.

Don't you mean "I couldn't care less"?

Old 10-16-2010, 12:17 PM

487 posts, read 747,008 times
Quote:
The global elites who bought and paid for him, in other words the shadow government who really runs this country. The same people funded Bush, Clinton, Reagan, etc who were also their puppets.
As long as the shadow elites enable me to enjoy football, food and a roof over my head my vote's for them

Old 10-16-2010, 02:15 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,234,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
Do you consider yourself to be a libertarian?
Yes

Old 10-16-2010, 04:49 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aitchem View Post
As long as the shadow elites enable me to enjoy football, food and a roof over my head my vote's for them
I do not mean this as a personal attack in any way, but since you said it...

One of the unfortunate characteristics of the modern American citizen is an almost obsessive refusal to see beyond their own personal needs when making decisions of a civic nature. This, unfortunately, includes an embarassing ignorance of American history, of world history, of our political and economic systems, and a lack of familiarity with current events outside of sports and entertainment.
Ironically, this is what allows so many unqualified people to be elected on the basis of poorly informed voting, when people actually vote. Then those same people turn around and complain about where the country is going. It's going where WE THE PEOPLE are steering it.

As a New Yorker, at the immediate mercy of Wall Street, with a soft spot for Las Vegas, a victim of said Wall Street and the "developers", it horrifies me that we have all allowed these idiots to bring this country to its knees by being so uninformed. If we demanded intelligence and honesty from our leaders with our vote instead of falling for slick images and personal agendas, both New York and Nevada, along with all the other suffering states, would be in much better shape.

Sadly, we seem to fall for the Madison Avenue Bull $hit of big business and the wealthy who sell us the fantasy of "you can have it all, too, with the American Dream". We will never have IT, because they will never give IT up. We will be lucky to even come close to what our parents had, much less surpass it. Simply put, that's because they lived in a world where the dishonorable still had a little shame, not TV and feature films being made glorifying their greed.

How many people are aware that the difference between CEO pay and the average worker's salary is at an all time HISTORY MAKING difference. YEah, we're getting IT alright. I won't say where though.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aitchem View Post
This short video with goes with what you said. This is exactly why America is heading for a total collapse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B_xBWsDpz0

Old 10-16-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
I do not mean this as a personal attack in any way, but since you said it...

One of the unfortunate characteristics of the modern American citizen is an almost obsessive refusal to see beyond their own personal needs when making decisions of a civic nature. This, unfortunately, includes an embarassing ignorance of American history, of world history, of our political and economic systems, and a lack of familiarity with current events outside of sports and entertainment.
Ironically, this is what allows so many unqualified people to be elected on the basis of poorly informed voting, when people actually vote. Then those same people turn around and complain about where the country is going. It's going where WE THE PEOPLE are steering it.

As a New Yorker, at the immediate mercy of Wall Street, with a soft spot for Las Vegas, a victim of said Wall Street and the "developers", it horrifies me that we have all allowed these idiots to bring this country to its knees by being so uninformed. If we demanded intelligence and honesty from our leaders with our vote instead of falling for slick images and personal agendas, both New York and Nevada, along with all the other suffering states, would be in much better shape.

Sadly, we seem to fall for the Madison Avenue Bull $hit of big business and the wealthy who sell us the fantasy of "you can have it all, too, with the American Dream". We will never have IT, because they will never give IT up. We will be lucky to even come close to what our parents had, much less surpass it. Simply put, that's because they lived in a world where the dishonorable still had a little shame, not TV and feature films being made glorifying their greed.

How many people are aware that the difference between CEO pay and the average worker's salary is at an all time HISTORY MAKING difference. YEah, we're getting IT alright. I won't say where though.
I agree.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:14 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Ratios of CEO to average are very interesting in a sociological context...but they are also dull if we are talking financials. The money involved is not a major factor in the success and failure of corporations. And we long since lost control of the overall area with the pay of sports and entertainment stars. Some small number of stars and CEOs may be worth their pay....but most get it because they can.

The recent collapse was driven by a libertarian belief by generations of governmental financial types that the markets would self regulate. Greenspan is pretty open about the fact he was wrong. But he has at least every Pres and SofT since Reagan in his support group.

I would think that opening of free trade has created a problem. And that it will continue to do so for the forseeable future. What is it the American worker is selling? The American Corporation?

If you are simply workers in the world economy you will find it tough to be competitive at 5 ort 8 times the wage level.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:21 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
This short video with goes with what you said. This is exactly why America is heading for a total collapse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B_xBWsDpz0
Comeon LVD...this guy is a card carrying sociopath....

Old 10-16-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Comeon LVD...this guy is a card carrying sociopath....
The idea of that video is that Americans are obsessed with sports teams and people such as Britney Spears and Lindsey Lohan while being oblivious on what is going on around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas