Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 08:19 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,318,048 times

Advertisements

Good news about Aqua. I wonder how long it takes after that surgery before the person feels just like their old self?

Airics, think about what you just said. The figure of $60K came from Davie saying that "someday" he hopes to have that income and live in Centennial Hills. He has a gf so we know he has hopes of being married someday and I'm sure would like a family. I'm sure he was talking about years from now and as MMofB pointed out, with inflation, that amount will mean less. A complete house payment, using todays interest rates, would take close to $2K of that every month and if his wife didn't contribute income and they had 2-3 kids, it would be very tight.

No, I don't live the good life nor have an income anywhere near that but I planned for the position I am in and live very nicely and securely. I have never been one who needed look at me cars, a country club or designer vacations but a priority was always a nice home in a safe neighborhood and the income to decorate and care for it nicely, have a social life.

Time gets away from us so having a plan for life is pretty important. There are those who see his life now at almost 21 as a just go with the flow situation and hang out here and there doing what feels good and finding yourself while a goal oriented person otoh sees the opportunity to have three years of college and all the social opportunities that go with it, gone. In my family, by the time you become a teenager, the parents and the child aleady have a pretty good idea what their skill set happens to be and the teenager is motivated to be in the right high school, doing the best they can do in the hopes of getting in that best college for them. It's apparent Davie never received that guidance and support and I see a very sharp guy trying now to put a plan together for himself so if my taking the time to plant a seed in his mind is any help, by God I'm going to do it.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:29 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
That is downright cruel and mean I might add. Davie is not a failure, but he just will not listen to reason. He discarded my advice of paying his car off with the insurance money he got, so instead he repaired what was only cosmetic damage and now he is paying the price for it. He would be sitting pretty with no car payment, his accident ticket paid, plate and license transfer, etc if he had just listened. Davie still is a go getter and will succeed in the future. However, he will need to learn to live within his means for now, and he just is not doing it.
Somehow I have been able to survive with what I have been making so far LVD. The insurance check would NOT have paid off my car note, it only would have paid off 1/2 of it sice the total cost to fix it was $3000, so I STILL would have a car payment. And even if I didnt have one I STILL would not be able to afford the insurance or the $195 registration fee

Old 11-17-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Kids usually learn by example. People that have extremely together kids gave them either that example or were so dysfunctional, the kids decided to become 180 degrees out of phase with them. I think it's rare for college educated parents to have anything less than educated kids. Growing up the kids get accustomed to nice things and a nice way of life and most of them are wise enough to realize it is going to take an education and a good job to continue that life style. It is also a mindset. I can pretty accurately guess from the replies that are going out, who went to college and who didn't.
To some people $60 k is not that great. To me I see $60k people as millionaires. Considering when I was gorwing up my parents NEVER earned a combined total of $25k with BOTH of them working

So I was never accustomed to nice things. So THIS PART of my post ios for LVD. It may have been a good idea to have taken that insurance check and have my car paid off but you dont know what that car means to me. I never had many nice things growing up, except that car and a small handful of other things. I worked SO HARD to get that car and it means SO MUCH to me which is what you dont seem to grasp. When the accident first happened I could not stop crying at how bad the damage was, my beautiful nice car was destroyed in my eyes. All I wanted was to have it fixed and I did. I didnt want the one thing I worked SO HARD for to stay in the condition that it was after the accident, so I had it fixed. The car means to much to me to just let it go like that

Old 11-17-2010, 09:55 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Somehow I have been able to survive with what I have been making so far LVD. The insurance check would NOT have paid off my car note, it only would have paid off 1/2 of it sice the total cost to fix it was $3000, so I STILL would have a car payment. And even if I didnt have one I STILL would not be able to afford the insurance or the $195 registration fee
When I talked to you, you told me different. You said the damage was $5,500 and you owed $6,000 on the car. What you are telling me does not make sense.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
To some people $60 k is not that great. To me I see $60k people as millionaires. Considering when I was gorwing up my parents NEVER earned a combined total of $25k with BOTH of them working

So I was never accustomed to nice things. So THIS PART of my post ios for LVD. It may have been a good idea to have taken that insurance check and have my car paid off but you dont know what that car means to me. I never had many nice things growing up, except that car and a small handful of other things. I worked SO HARD to get that car and it means SO MUCH to me which is what you dont seem to grasp. When the accident first happened I could not stop crying at how bad the damage was, my beautiful nice car was destroyed in my eyes. All I wanted was to have it fixed and I did. I didnt want the one thing I worked SO HARD for to stay in the condition that it was after the accident, so I had it fixed. The car means to much to me to just let it go like that
As far as this, think about me losing my house, two cars and my job back in 2004 and having to move into an old Toyota Corolla hatchback while having to live in it. I loved my Supra and had to watch someone else drive away in it. I had to leave my beautiful house to never to return to it in Arizona. I had to sell all of my nice things. When it comes down to it they were all material possessions, just like your car. You may love your car but the fact is you cannot afford it at this time. Since you did get it fixed you are stuck with it. I predicted this would happen based on my own previous life experiences. I now live as cheaply as possible to prevent myself from being broke.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
When I talked to you, you told me different. You said the damage was $5,500 and you owed $6,000 on the car. What you are telling me does not make sense.
that was the original estimate. not the cost once it was fixed

Old 11-17-2010, 10:39 AM

Davie,

If you feel I am being hard on you I am not meaning to. I hope you prove me wrong.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:14 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,243 times
Davie, I'm only about a decade older than you, but let me tell you, I had my fair share of strife coming into my own.

Your obsession with materials and a stupid car is going to be your Achilles heel. Nobody judges you by what you drive and if they do, they arent worth knowing. The truth is that your optimism and go gettitiveness is not really yours to control without the confidence that an education will afford you. This is a knowledge-based workforce. Soft skills, like attitude and perseverance, cannot be understated. Standing with them alone, you're a whisker away from real tragedy. It's a facade.

If you get popped for not registering your car, you can kiss your dream of staying here goodbye. I strongly encourage you into looking into a four year stint in the Navy or Air Force. Get the money for college, get the groundwork laid for a career in electronics, computers or healthcare. These fields will continue to see growth. You see the world in a different light. Who knows, it might be something you really enjoy. From what I see in your character, the military would be better off with someone like
yourself.

I can tell you from personal experience that you can stand on your head for four years if you try. It takes a little courage, but I honestly believe it's a good path to the dreams you have in life. DM if you want to talk about it.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:23 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,721,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Davie, I'm only about a decade older than you, but let me tell you, I had my fair share of strife coming into my own.

Your obsession with materials and a stupid car is going to be your Achilles heel. Nobody judges you by what you drive and if they do, they arent worth knowing. The truth is that your optimism and go gettitiveness is not really yours to control without the confidence that an education will afford you. This is a knowledge-based workforce. Soft skills, like attitude and perseverance, cannot be understated. Standing with them alone, you're a whisker away from real tragedy. It's a facade.

If you get popped for not registering your car, you can kiss your dream of staying here goodbye. I strongly encourage you into looking into a four year stint in the Navy or Air Force. Get the money for college, get the groundwork laid for a career in electronics, computers or healthcare. These fields will continue to see growth. You see the world in a different light. Who knows, it might be something you really enjoy. From what I see in your character, the military would be better off with someone like
yourself.

I can tell you from personal experience that you can stand on your head for four years if you try. It takes a little courage, but I honestly believe it's a good path to the dreams you have in life. DM if you want to talk about it.
This is more excellent advice that should be considered Davie. While it may seem that we are all preaching to you. That is not really the case. While some of us older folks may be little out of touch with your generation. We are not out of touch on matters on how the world turns. We all have walked a few miles and trying to save you from some of the blisters.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:33 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,942,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
No, I don't live the good life nor have an income anywhere near that but I planned for the position I am in and live very nicely and securely. I have never been one who needed look at me cars, a country club or designer vacations but a priority was always a nice home in a safe neighborhood and the income to decorate and care for it nicely, have a social life.

Time gets away from us so having a plan for life is pretty important. There are those who see his life now at almost 21 as a just go with the flow situation and hang out here and there doing what feels good and finding yourself while a goal oriented person otoh sees the opportunity to have three years of college and all the social opportunities that go with it, gone. In my family, by the time you become a teenager, the parents and the child aleady have a pretty good idea what their skill set happens to be and the teenager is motivated to be in the right high school, doing the best they can do in the hopes of getting in that best college for them. It's apparent Davie never received that guidance and support and I see a very sharp guy trying now to put a plan together for himself so if my taking the time to plant a seed in his mind is any help, by God I'm going to do it.
I am not sure what you consider "the good life", but it sounds as if you have things set well and have planned wisely enough to live a good life. That to me IS living "the good life". Well done.

I don't see anyone really knocking the education road, who would? I said I regretted not going after HS. I waited. May have been better for me as I might have not taken it as seriously as I did when I finally went. Of course it is better to go to college. BUT, whether he goes that route or not, he needs to lighten up a bit. I think he is way too hard on himself and that is a recipe for disaster, no matter what he tries to do. I think that is what people are trying to get at. Not to be a lame-o and go out and party his life away, but to make a plan, move towards it, smile along the way and make some time for whatever makes him smile.

It is great that you had a structured and goal-oriented family life! But, it is almost like you come off making it sound as if those who didn't do it your way are wrong. But, as the old saying goes, "if you want to be successful, hang around those who are". So, apparently it worked in your family, spread the knowledge! Just know that on a public forum, things and people are not always what they seem.

Quote:
It is not a million, it is merely 60K. Not shabby, but not a million. Depends on what you want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post

yourself.

Good post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas