Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I make lists all the time. Helps me realize my goals and I like the feeling of crossing things off and being done with it. My bucket list, however, is in my mind and most likely out of reach. Well, some of it anyway. Plus, I change my mind about things I think I once wanted to do.
I never make lists, ever. I just don't write stuff down.

I just find the idea of a "bucket list" silly, and the term is silly too. I just live my life day-to-day, I don't spend time daydreaming about stuff I want to do before I die. Stuff I will never do is a waste of time to think about.

JMO. Better add that

Old 12-07-2012, 07:14 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
I liked Smith's deli best because they carry Boar's Head meats and cheese, best cold cuts you can buy. Smith's Private Selection brand was really good too, especially the roast beef

I never knew the Albertson's on Ann and Simmons closed at 10, but then again I never went there. Closing at 10 pm is common practice here in Orlando

Back to Vegas chains, I think Vons has the best meats, their Rancher's Reserve steaks can't be beat in terms of quality. Their Centennial location was always nice because it was never crowded. Is the Centennial Vons still open? It's so quiet there I don't know how they stay open

Old 12-07-2012, 07:18 AM

727 posts, read 1,056,504 times
I think Fresh and Easy had a failed strategy from the beginning. They are owned by Tesco, which is a very large British food company, and thought they could compete with Trader Joe's. I lived in California for a long time and Trader Joe's is almost a religion there. Tesco thought they could take away some of Trader Joe's market share. Unfortunately for Tesco, Trader Joe's is so well entrenched and a much better store. I agree with others that they do have some items that I like. Now that I am in North Las Vegas I don't have a Trader Joe's near me and a Fresh and Easy pretty close. I drive to the Trader Joe's in Summerlin on a regular basis but it is too far to go for a just a few items which is the main reason I go to Fresh and Easy.

Tesco has already announced they are ceasing operations in the US next year. They will probably try to sell Fresh and Easy to somebody which I doubt they will be able to do. More likely they will be able to sell off individual or groups of stores to other retailers. My dream is that my local store is sold to Trader Joe's.

Last edited by newopty; 12-07-2012 at 08:32 AM..

Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post

I just find the idea of a "bucket list" silly, and the term is silly too. I just live my life day-to-day, I don't spend time daydreaming about stuff I want to do before I die. Stuff I will never do is a waste of time to think about.

JMO. Better add that
I think daydreaming is a very human trait. A waste of time as you say Elle, but something people do. My dad used to always go on about "when I win the pools," which was a sort of lottery trying to predict soccer game results. Even when I was 10 years old, I knew it was a daydream, but harmless nevertheless.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:31 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post

. Did I mention the Albertson's I frequent most often (Ann & Simmons) closes @ 10 PM? I'd expect any large grocery store in Las Vegas to be open 'til midnight, given the 24-hr mindset of the city. (Some Albertson's are open later, some 24 hrs - I'm not sure why the large disparity.)
That particular store used to be open 24 hours and the place was quite busy most of the time. Over the years, they have lost tons of business. I think it's because of pricing, but I chatted with a clerk there and she said they think it's because of increased competition.

I'm not sure I buy that. My favorite Smith's on Ann & Decatur seems to be doing just fine and they are a stone's throw from the new Winco that opened up. I don't care for the Smiths in Aliante though, so I drive past the Albertsons that I could walk to from my house and head to the Ann & Decatur Smiths.

Whoever said that they hope Trader Joe's buys our neighborhood Fresh & Easy store: From your mouth to God's ears, my friend. That would be fabulous.

Last edited by NLVgal; 12-07-2012 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I think daydreaming is a very human trait. A waste of time as you say Elle, but something people do. My dad used to always go on about "when I win the pools," which was a sort of lottery trying to predict soccer game results. Even when I was 10 years old, I knew it was a daydream, but harmless nevertheless.
I honestly can say I really don't. It's too depressing! (too depressing to come back to reality and know it will never happen that is LOL)

I find it just easier to be realistic about life in general. There's less disappointment that way

Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:

JMO. Better add that
The term "bucket list" is kind of silly, but it's more efficient than saying "things I'd like to experience or accomplish in this lifetime"

I guess I am reflecting on my own mortality due to the fears and losses I've experienced the last two years. I lost my Mom, two of my dogs, and my beloved uncle within the last 24 months. Mom didn't make it to age 61 and uncle was only 65. I also had to have several MRI's because they thought I had MS. (Mom died of complications related to that)

So rather than dwelling on the stuff I haven't done (just a couple things), I was mentally reflecting on how many cool things I've actually done from that list that I first imagined back in my teens & twenties, and then some things I could have never imagined back then.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Fresh and Easy's are in the wrong neighborhoods. LVBD and Cheyenne(soon to be closed)Fremont and Eastern(closed). These areas are low income and highly Hispanic areas. Which means there are already plenty o Mexican grocery markets nearby. F&E just can't compete.

They barely accept coupons.

Hardly honor any price matching.

Food prices are not competitive compared to the other chain stores.

Limited selection.

Too much pre-cooked food, which means less items that you can purchase with the EBT card.(food stamps).

What was this British company thinking when they placed these stores? Right across the street from the Ogden condos would be perfect. All those other more affluent neighborhoods spread out through the valley would have been much better. But low income areas? They did it to themselves.

F&E is designed more for the young professional bachelor/bachelorette that does not have one to cook, a person that is always on the go and wants to pop in and out of a store in a flash, or someone that wants to avoid the stores that draw the large crowds.

Sent from cell...

Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The term "bucket list" is kind of silly, but it's more efficient than saying "things I'd like to experience or accomplish in this lifetime"

I guess I am reflecting on my own mortality due to the fears and losses I've experienced the last two years. I lost my Mom, two of my dogs, and my beloved uncle within the last 24 months. Mom didn't make it to age 61 and uncle was only 65. I also had to have several MRI's because they thought I had MS. (Mom died of complications related to that)

So rather than dwelling on the stuff I haven't done (just a couple things), I was mentally reflecting on how many cool things I've actually done from that list that I first imagined back in my teens & twenties, and then some things I could have never imagined back then.

Losing family members young does make you think about your own life, doesn't it? We often forget we could go at any moment.

My MIL died at 47 from colon cancer and my FIL died at age 51 from a ruptured spleen within 3 years of each other. I was only 26 when my MIL died and I knew she was way too young, but now that I am 40 I think HOLY CRAP she was young!!

The main thing I got out of it was I realized that there were not many pictures of me. I put together MIL's memory collages for the funeral, and there were SO MANY snapshots of her, happy and smiling. I had very few of me because I was usually behind the camera and hate my face. I decided that if someone was making a picture collage for me, it would be bare. SO, I try to allow myself to be photographed more and just accept that this is what I look like, like it or not.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I had very few of me because I was usually behind the camera and hate my face. I decided that if someone was making a picture collage for me, it would be bare. SO, I try to allow myself to be photographed more and just accept that this is what I look like, like it or not.
I've seen a photo of you, I think you have a pretty face. I'm uncomfortable in front of a camera too and always have to pick apart my own appearance. There are very few photos that I can view of myself and not say "ugh".

Not everybody is photogenic though. I've met some truly gorgeous people that just didn't photograph well. Probably because they were uncomfortable like you and me. I've met others that look great in photos and then when you see them in person, you are underwhelmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas