Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 08:48 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Hey, how did you do in Cleveland, Airics? Was your long trip with the furkids uneventful and did you get the house rented okay? How good it must feel to be back.
well, i learned a few things.. 1. the drive is insane.. this is the 6th time i've done it... my vision is deteriorating (no joke) and i can't do the long night drives so on the way back, we stopped for the night 3 times...
i've also learned that we have way to much stuff.. we packed and moved about 25 boxes, couch loveseat frig and plasma (still waiting for it to arrive)
i gave away probably 12 bags of clothes to the mission.. (the leisure suit is gone)

what really really upset me, it that i had alot of stuff from my mom, grandparents, etc.. that 3 liquidators said was worthless... i didn't expect alot but at least fair. so we will hold an auction at the house in a month or so to finish clearing it out.

the main reason for going back was to get rid of my cars from my dealership.. i still had 26 cars.. some i had for as long as 4 yrs... they all went at a no reserve auction this evening .. didn't do terrible.. at least its over.. no more rent on the warehouse that was bleeding me $1000 a month...

and finally with the proceeds, i need to tread carefully.. i have an equity loan on the house in cleveland and owe 100k, but its at 2% interest... i now have enough for 2 condos in vegas (40-50k each) which i believe can get me 7-800 a month in return so i may go that way...

as for renting the house, i have a realtor friend handling it.. we have had alot of interest (due to the location), so i don't forsee a problem, i just have to get the rest of my junk out of the house...

overall, it was a productive trip.. very tiring.. and i am very very glad to be back....

Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,838,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i now have enough for 2 condos in vegas (40-50k each) which i believe can get me 7-800 a month in return so i may go that way...
I know you asked about condo pricing at Mar A Lago in another thread. If your intent is to rent it out, you can't at Mar A Lago.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:21 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
what really really upset me, it that i had alot of stuff from my mom, grandparents, etc.. that 3 liquidators said was worthless... i didn't expect alot but at least fair. so we will hold an auction at the house in a month or so to finish clearing it out.
You should seriously consider Ebay for the things from your parents and grandparents. Check out some ebay listings for the things you have, then make up your own mind about them. Don't let someone tell you they are not worth anything, because they might actually be.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:40 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,320,560 times
I agree Pink, I think E-bay is the way to go too but I still have not been able to figure out how to set up accounts with them. And a lot of my stuff is the same thing Airics was referring to that liquidators claimed was worthless.

My vision is suddenly becoming comprimised at night too and no one has the answers. I just make sure I don't do much heavy driving then.

I can imagine how glad you are to be back home although for some ironic reason, it is almost 80 here in Ohio today. We are finally seeing a flurry of real estate activity with this government incentive due to expire in a month. Have had 5 showings in the last few days and have everything crossed in the hope that I should be in LV soon too. Will only return to Ohio to see family occasionally then and after making the drive you talked about once getting out there, hopefully the return trips will be with frequent flier miles.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:17 PM

762 posts, read 1,562,936 times
I have sold tons of stuff on Ebay, it is very easy to do. There is a tutorial online that takes you through it step by step.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:21 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
i've done ebay since the beginning, the only problem is the shipping... some of the items are very large.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:32 PM

When selling things on ebay, the heavy items, you can sell locally. When trying to figure out how to sell on ebay, like skisickie said, they have a tutorial. Just go in and search to see if others are selling your items and what they are going for, if they are selling,etc.
Consider selling things worldwide, not just in the U.S. A lot of people from other countries are interested in things some in this country may not be interested in. Like my friends things from his rock star days in the 60's and 70's, his musical equipment is now all over the world, even if he never travelled there to begin with.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:05 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,980 times
Yeah, but don't you think if you are going to sell locally, you might as well use Craigslist to avoid the listing and final value fees?

Old 04-01-2010, 11:39 PM

I guess it's up to the individual. I've tried selling things on Craigslist before and all I got was a bunch of weirdo's and scammers trying to "buy" my things. They wanted to "have their shipper pick up the item, and then they would pay me some worthless check after they had my items." No thanks.

What's great about ebay is the auctions. You start off low or whatever you predetermine you want to get for it, and by the end of the 7 days, things can go pretty high depending on what you are selling.
How about an empty loaf of bread from the 60's that sold for $153? It would never have sold for that on Craigslist. It's all about the people fighting over it on the auctions that makes it worth the listing fee. Plus you get paid instantly in paypal before you ever ship anything out, so no phony money to have to deal with.
Now if someone is just selling something for a flat rate, sell it any way you like. I like ebay.

As for selling things locally, we list the item's worldwide and sometimes we get someone wanting to come and pick it up that lives in LV and save the shipping fee. A few have driven in from California. We have done this a few times but meet in a public spot since if I do not know someone quite well, they are not coming to my house.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:10 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I guess it's up to the individual. I've tried selling things on Craigslist before and all I got was a bunch of weirdo's and scammers trying to "buy" my things. They wanted to "have their shipper pick up the item, and then they would pay me some worthless check after they had my items." No thanks.

What's great about ebay is the auctions. You start off low or whatever you predetermine you want to get for it, and by the end of the 7 days, things can go pretty high depending on what you are selling.
How about an empty loaf of bread from the 60's that sold for $153? It would never have sold for that on Craigslist. It's all about the people fighting over it on the auctions that makes it worth the listing fee. Plus you get paid instantly in paypal before you ever ship anything out, so no phony money to have to deal with.
Now if someone is just selling something for a flat rate, sell it any way you like. I like ebay.

As for selling things locally, we list the item's worldwide and sometimes we get someone wanting to come and pick it up that lives in LV and save the shipping fee. A few have driven in from California. We have done this a few times but meet in a public spot since if I do not know someone quite well, they are not coming to my house.

That's true. The auctions are a good thing and reaching a much larger group of buyers, for sure. I have sold many things on eBay. I would like to get back into it. Definitely selling international was lucrative for me, it's not hard to do at all and int'l people LOVE some American stuff! I did have one girl from Germany purchase a shirt from me and then she put holes in it and said it was damaged. My thought was that it didn't fit (and I always put detailed measurements on my listings)but she knew that I wouldn't take it back for ill-fitting because I had listed measurements, so she knew I had to take it back for damage. Lost money on that one, but I kept the shirt and wore it plenty of times...win some, lose some.

I have also sold quite a few things on CL, here in MI and there in Vegas. Actually, CL in Vegas is SO much better than MI and I think it is because of the transient nature of the city. I got a lot of nice things from CL for my house there! Plus, I got to go into private, guarded areas and check them out! Lakes of LV was one area, Anthem GC was another...interesting!

I will be looking for a cheap, nice (is there such a thing?)car when I get there in June. We looked at one in March, but I did not have a good feeling about the seller. I want to find that car that has one owner and he needs to move and wants to sell quick! This guy advertised as an owner, not dealer, but he was a guy who got repo'd cars and resold them. Said, no thanks. Back to square one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas