Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 12:59 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times

Advertisements

Many times the pedestrians are the ones at fault. Crossing in the middle of the street. Running out in front of someone because they are distracted by something/phone. Trying to outrun traffic.
Me, when I am out walking, I always wait until it is clear on both sides to go. I will cross at a light or stop sign. I never assume because one car is stopping, that another car will stop. I was almost wiped out by that scenario last fall. And this was really close to home. We have a crosswalk from our community to the school across the way. Most of the near misses I have had were at that spot. It's a wonder the kids get across that and to school safely.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:15 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Let's not jump to conclusions! I'm new to this, 2 nites a week, walking 4-5 blocks to the bus stop, and returning from work, walking 4-5 blocks to catch my bus on Pecos/Cheyenne. There's some mighty long stretches without crosswalks in this city! Even if you decided to cross the street, and the traffic is clear, it can still present a danger with our speed limits in this town! If o-n-l-y on those 45MPH stretches, they'd go 45MPH, it would be safer to cross the street, but we all know, I've seen it crossing Cheyenne in the morning, a number of these cars are going 10-20MPH over the 45MPH speed limit! And Cheyenne is a very wide street with 3 lanes on each side, plus a median to cross!

Even with the street cleared, it's happened, I decided to cross over all 7 lanes, and there's some speedy gonazles that comes along and I'm running for my life to get to the curb on the other side! And if you take someone that can't walk fast enough, bam!

Undeniably, excessive speed is a factor as well!

Old 10-22-2013, 02:03 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Speed is definitely a factor. This is the only city I have ever lived in that has people using the surface streets as their own private racetrack. Still, with pedestrians versus cars, it's a 50-50 thing, both are to blame. Tij, you need to create a glow in the dark sign and carry it with you that reads "Thank you for not hitting me." Hold it up as you are running across the street and that might help a little bit. Better if it has flashing lights all the way around it.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:47 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Speed is definitely a factor. This is the only city I have ever lived in that has people using the surface streets as their own private racetrack. Still, with pedestrians versus cars, it's a 50-50 thing, both are to blame. Tij, you need to create a glow in the dark sign and carry it with you that reads "Thank you for not hitting me." Hold it up as you are running across the street and that might help a little bit. Better if it has flashing lights all the way around it.
Yep. I travel down sunset rd. parallel to the airport coming home from work. I can be doing 50mph and have people flying by me the whole time.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:59 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Its still not like Orlando which is the most dangerous city in the US for pedestrians, then again most who are hit and killed werent crossing at crosswalks. Its the same way back here, people treating the roads as their own personal race track

Old 10-25-2013, 12:43 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Nothing, this year, will come close to the nightmare day I've had, going down to the Clark County Injustice Center, and going thru Jury Services, from 8am until 4:45pm! Yes, I was a prisoner for there for 8 hours, 45 minutes!

Hells Bells!!! I'm a night shift worker, I normally sleep, every day of the week between either 9a-5p or 10a-6p, and from 2p onwards, I was locked into this courtroom, being asked questions by the Judge and these attorney's, and I was expected to be alert, listen carefully all that time, while nodding off in my chair, and being reprimanded by the Marshal!

And Oh Lord-y-Bee!!! What if I had been picked, and the trial had dragged on for 6 weeks, my whole life put on hold for that amount of time! I actually talked to one of the potential jurors who had to go thru that!!!

Talk about screwing up my sleep schedule!!! I got to sleep around 6p, forced myself to get up at 10:30p!

I see on the Jury summons, it says: Failure to appear could result in being fined $500! Fine and dandy, if this nightmare should appear on my horizon, in the future, and I'm still working the night shift, I'll happily pay the fine, and even throw in a $50 tip!

Anyone else ever go thru a nightmare like this, going thru Jury Services?

Someone at Jury Services told me they can summon you anytime after 18 months again! And here I thought it was every 3 years!

One of my co-workers just got her summons, and she went to Jury Services last June, not even 18 months!

Old 10-25-2013, 02:48 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,290 times
For those interested, this Saturday the 26th, the Great American Classic Halloween Car Show in cooperation with the Mustang and Classic Club of Las Vegas, will be held at Tivoli Village from 5 PM to 9PM. Bring the kids along, there will be candy for the kids as well.

The following day Sunday the 27th, also at Tivoli Village, there will be trick or treating from 3 to 6PM sponsored by Cox Communications.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:44 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
Quote:
Anyone else ever go thru a nightmare like this, going thru Jury Services?
I served on a jury in Colorado....one and a half weeks of a meth murder trial.....I know more about meth now than I ever wanted to know....disgusting!

I got called here in CC, spent all day in the jury selection room. They told us while waiting we could hang out in the break room that was attached to the selection room...there was a TV in there. many of us wound up sitting in there waiting to be called or released.

After over an hour of not hearing anything and getting near 5PM I wondered back to the waiting room to find it empty. I searched for an employee, found one and learned they had release everyone awhile ago. They never ducked their head into the break room to inform us despite it being inside the main room! I guess they were just going to let us sit there all night. So the lady tells me I'm free to go...she is about to go back to wherever she was until I suggested she let the others in the room know they can go. There were about 5-6 others still there...mostly sleeping!
I guess she would have just let them sleep there all night had I not suggested to check the place out. What ignorance! Don't tell us we can wait in the break room then never check it!

Old 10-25-2013, 04:22 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I served on a jury in Colorado....one and a half weeks of a meth murder trial.....I know more about meth now than I ever wanted to know....disgusting!

I got called here in CC, spent all day in the jury selection room. They told us while waiting we could hang out in the break room that was attached to the selection room...there was a TV in there. many of us wound up sitting in there waiting to be called or released.

After over an hour of not hearing anything and getting near 5PM I wondered back to the waiting room to find it empty. I searched for an employee, found one and learned they had release everyone awhile ago. They never ducked their head into the break room to inform us despite it being inside the main room! I guess they were just going to let us sit there all night. So the lady tells me I'm free to go...she is about to go back to wherever she was until I suggested she let the others in the room know they can go. There were about 5-6 others still there...mostly sleeping!
I guess she would have just let them sleep there all night had I not suggested to check the place out. What ignorance! Don't tell us we can wait in the break room then never check it!
It's not uncommon for people to be that negligent. In two separate practices that I worked for, people were left in exam rooms until they fell asleep and woke up when the janitors showed up.

As far as jury duty goes, the best way to get out of it is to say "I'd be an excellent juror. I can tell who's guilty or not just by looking at them." Dismissed.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:07 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
I would never try to get out of jury duty...how could I possibly complain about our justice system if I'm not ready to be the one to call GUILTY?

I'll say that was definitely a problem in the murder trial I was involved with. Everyone thought the guy was guilty but didn't want to be the one responsible for his conviction...some of the women even started crying! FFS they knew he was guilty but didn't want to punish? This POS MURDERED someone! Fortunately I was Jury foreman and got everyone in line!

That's what's wrong with our system...no one wants to be a part of it....and they don't want to convict the guilty. So they walk the streets to kill again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas