Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:29 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,524 times

Advertisements

Buzz, I tried to rep you but I've got to spread it first.

I've said this several times, Vegas is not even close to dangerous as a city. Does it have crime? Yes; however, no different than any other city. I have no problem going to visit clients and potential clients in any part of town.

Just this week, I read in the Washington Post where a group of 14-16 year old boys beat another 14-year old that went to my high school to death, that happens once a year back in DC. That's one of the reasons why I left DC, just doesn't happen here in Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 03:22 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,333,139 times
Forbes says LV is the 4th worst: In Pictures: America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes.com

Old 06-06-2009, 04:08 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It is middle third on violent crime. Actually better than that on property crime.

I have no idea what criteria they are using and I don't thing they know either.

It is no where near fourth most dangerous either. Does not make a top 20 list. The rust belt and south dominate those numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
First of all they show the population at 1.3 million. What happened to the other 700,000? And I'd like to know if they include the crime that is brought here by the nearly 40 million tourists? If so, wouldn't they have to include them in the population figures? And wouldn't that lower the percentage? Take that "study" with a grain of salt. You can't say crime here is anywhere near what it is in Detroit, or Washington, DC, or New York, Chicago, Newark, Philadelphia, LA, San Francisco, New Orleans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Buzz, I tried to rep you but I've got to spread it first.

I've said this several times, Vegas is not even close to dangerous as a city. Does it have crime? Yes; however, no different than any other city. I have no problem going to visit clients and potential clients in any part of town.

Just this week, I read in the Washington Post where a group of 14-16 year old boys beat another 14-year old that went to my high school to death, that happens once a year back in DC. That's one of the reasons why I left DC, just doesn't happen here in Vegas.
You guys do realize that the article I posted says that Las Vegas is the 9th SAFEST city, don't you? You sound like you are trying to refute an argument that I didn't make.

America's Safest Cities - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/realclearpolitics/20090605/cm_rcp/america039s_safest_cities - broken link)

As far as criteria go, they only used LVMPD stats from the FBI Uniform Crime Report. That's why population is only reporting as 1,300,000+. I believe that they are also using "victimless" crime like drugs and prostitution as I did the math on strictly violent and property crime and the crime rate using those two criteria is actually much lower at 5.3%. The article also only rated cities with a population of 500,000 or greater.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/08aprelim/table_4mt-oh.html (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
First, Forbes is using completely different criteria. Second, Forbes has no idea what they are writing about. How is it that Chicago is not on that list. Using the Forbes criteria Chi town should be squarely in 2nd spot, yet no mention of them.

Table 4 - Illinois through Missouri (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/08aprelim/table_4il-mo.html - broken link)

Old 06-06-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
You guys do realize that the article I posted says that Las Vegas is the 9th SAFEST city, don't you? You sound like you are trying to refute an argument that I didn't make.

America's Safest Cities - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/realclearpolitics/20090605/cm_rcp/america039s_safest_cities - broken link)

As far as criteria go, they only used LVMPD stats from the FBI Uniform Crime Report. That's why population is only reporting as 1,300,000+. I believe that they are also using "victimless" crime like drugs and prostitution as I did the math on strictly violent and property crime and the crime rate using those two criteria is actually much lower at 5.3%. The article also only rated cities with a population of 500,000 or greater.

Table 4 - Montana through Ohio (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/08aprelim/table_4mt-oh.html - broken link)

First, Forbes is using completely different criteria. Second, Forbes has no idea what they are writing about. How is it that Chicago is not on that list. Using the Forbes criteria Chi town should be squarely in 2nd spot, yet no mention of them.

Table 4 - Illinois through Missouri (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/08aprelim/table_4il-mo.html - broken link)

How is it that Chiago isn't provided for on YOUR link? I am not arguing---with my home security bars, 24 hour suveilliance, CCW, and 40cal S&W, I, too feel very safe in LV. If you think DRUGS and PROSTITUTION is a victimless crime---you are IGNORANT.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:55 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Quote:
How is it that Chiago isn't provided for on YOUR link? I am not arguing---with my home security bars, 24 hour suveilliance, CCW, and 40cal S&W, I, too feel very safe in LV. If you think DRUGS and PROSTITUTION is a victimless crime---you are IGNORANT.
Perhaps because the link I provided is of the SAFEST cities and not the most dangerous. And I don't think drugs and prostitution are victimless crimes but they are commonly referred to as victimless, hence the quotation marks. The fact that you need to resort to personal attacks to try and prove your point instead of refuting the data I provided with STATISTICS speaks volumes.

As for feeling safe, I have no bars. I have no surveillance. I won't get into specifics on my firearms but let's just say that I am armed. I have rarely felt unsafe in LV.

On a completely different subject, your S&W .40 wouldn't be an M&P, would it? If so, what are your impressions? I am in the market for a new pistol and am leaning towards something like the S&W M&P in .45 ACP, but am being told that Glock 9mm is the way to go.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Perhaps because the link I provided is of the SAFEST cities and not the most dangerous. And I don't think drugs and prostitution are victimless crimes but they are commonly referred to as victimless, hence the quotation marks. The fact that you need to resort to personal attacks to try and prove your point instead of refuting the data I provided with STATISTICS speaks volumes.

As for feeling safe, I have no bars. I have no surveillance. I won't get into specifics on my firearms but let's just say that I am armed. I have rarely felt unsafe in LV.

On a completely different subject, your S&W .40 wouldn't be an M&P, would it? If so, what are your impressions? I am in the market for a new pistol and am leaning towards something like the S&W M&P in .45 ACP, but am being told that Glock 9mm is the way to go.
"ANY" list, and their methodolgy is BS. I have a S&W40VE. Any 9mm---45cal with hollow points will provide stopping power---a really large exit wound--my concern. I settled on 40cal simply as a compromise between 9mm and 45cal.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:50 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:

Chicago is left off most such lists. It does not meet prescribed standards for reporting some categories.

I believe there are sufficient numbers to say it ranks worse than Las Vegas.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Chicago is left off most such lists. It does not meet prescribed standards for reporting some categories.

I believe there are sufficient numbers to say it ranks worse than Las Vegas.
Well, good for you. If, YOU post studies by these groups don't meet "prescribed standards"---well, enough said. Of course, YOUR reality is what matters to you-----a small world.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Well, good for you. If, YOU post studies by these groups don't meet "prescribed standards"---well, enough said. Of course, YOUR reality is what matters to you-----a small world.
The standards are those of the FBI and DofJ. Chicago has long declined to meet them.

Talk to the boys in Chicago not to me.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:57 PM

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/Metr...8_Rank_Rev.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas