Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:52 PM

21 posts, read 118,798 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to LV VERY soon. I have a 16 yr old and a 12 yr old, I have researched the greatschools webpage and number wise it appears as though Centennial High would be the way to go. However, I was in Las Vegas last week and spoke with a few teenagers who gave me some conflicting insight. So! I am going to the parents. If I could get your opinions on the school you know about it would be much appreciated. Gangs, violence, academics, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 04:43 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriRN View Post
I will be relocating to LV VERY soon. I have a 16 yr old and a 12 yr old, I have researched the greatschools webpage and number wise it appears as though Centennial High would be the way to go. However, I was in Las Vegas last week and spoke with a few teenagers who gave me some conflicting insight. So! I am going to the parents. If I could get your opinions on the school you know about it would be much appreciated. Gangs, violence, academics, etc.
The NW high schools bundlle reasonably tightly. Shadow Ridge, Palo Verde, Centennial and Arbor View.

CCSD High School Rankings

Live where you like in the area. High Schools and middle schools will all work out OK.

I am not a parent. But I do sell houses to parents in those areas. I actually linve in the Centennial zone. Note that the Centennial zone may well break up before your 12 yo graduates. The older kid is fine.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:16 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Both schools are very comparable. When Arbor View opened, many of the Centennial staff went over there. I think Arbor View has just a few more discipline issues.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:22 PM

Actually I think it is Shadow Ridge that has a few more discipline problems...it however outscores both Centennial and Arbor View. I admit not by much. Butg then again the diswcipline differences are likely within principle windage.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:41 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Centennial seems to have the best reputation out of the bunch. Arbor View is supposed to be really nice too though. You'd be fine with either.

Shadow Ridge definitely has the most discipline problems. It may rank well, but I always hear bad things about there being lots of trouble makers and so on.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
I have worked with all three. Shadow Ridge doesn't come close to the other two, especially in making the kids feel part of the school community. Quite a bit of faculty turn over, too. The principal gets consistently low ratings. He likes to rule by intimidation.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I have worked with all three. Shadow Ridge doesn't come close to the other two, especially in making the kids feel part of the school community. Quite a bit of faculty turn over, too. The principal gets consistently low ratings. He likes to rule by intimidation.
And if all true...

He delivers better numbers than the other two.

Bad thing about data...

Old 07-20-2009, 12:30 AM

21 posts, read 118,798 times
Thanks for the input! Ill keep it in mind and try to keep it all in perspective.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:34 AM

10 posts, read 35,386 times
Go to ccsd.net find the school's websites, and look for the accountability report. All schools must post this report somewhere on the schools website. This report contains alot of useful stats including behavior incidents based on the nature of the situation i.e. drugs,vandalism,violence to teachers/students as well as the student body demographic. If you ask me, Centennial is the closest to northtown, and over time northtown will creep on over. The CCSD likes to "adjust" the zoning lines when the demo scale tips to far one way or the other. They call it growth, but really they need the gov. kickbacks they get for keeping the schools "diverse" hence the re-zoning every 2/3 yrs. You will be able to compare the schools based on the web site content, and also view the course catalog online to see if there are any classes offered at one versus the other to better help you decide.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckster18 View Post
Go to ccsd.net find the school's websites, and look for the accountability report. All schools must post this report somewhere on the schools website. This report contains alot of useful stats including behavior incidents based on the nature of the situation i.e. drugs,vandalism,violence to teachers/students as well as the student body demographic. If you ask me, Centennial is the closest to northtown, and over time northtown will creep on over. The CCSD likes to "adjust" the zoning lines when the demo scale tips to far one way or the other. They call it growth, but really they need the gov. kickbacks they get for keeping the schools "diverse" hence the re-zoning every 2/3 yrs. You will be able to compare the schools based on the web site content, and also view the course catalog online to see if there are any classes offered at one versus the other to better help you decide.
You can find the accountability reports by going to...

Schools of Las Vegas Rankings

Click on the school name and it will take you to the accountability reports.

The probability over ten years is for a new school in the vicinity of Lone Mountain. That will tend to drive the school areas north. Much of 89129 ends up in the new school along with the PV parts west of 215.

"Northtown" is in the Western HIgh Area mostly. And is separated from these three school by an intervening set of high schools. It is a far way from any of these schools .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas