Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:51 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 12:50 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
We don't have any flying Palmetto bugs, but when my ex wife is in town there are a lot of flying monkeys.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:27 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Default Ugg

Definitely not "just a bug" - a fly is just a bug. A roach is the most horrible hideous disgusting real life monster! I want a high level condo so I can avoid as many as possible. Never seen a roach in Vegas and I've been there 10 times at least, which I credit to staying at nice hotels on the Strip where hopefully roaches are kept out. Eww.

I also scream like a girl when I see a roach lol. I had one in my place once and whoever thinks they can't fly is wrong. This one came in the window the only day I've ever left my window open while not standing right at it. Sure enough later that day there it was and it took hours to kill it after an initial miss. I wouldn't sleep with it in the condo, I half-way thought if checking into a hotel if I couldn't kill it lol

Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Definitely not "just a bug" - a fly is just a bug. A roach is the most horrible hideous disgusting real life monster! I want a high level condo so I can avoid as many as possible. Never seen a roach in Vegas and I've been there 10 times at least, which I credit to staying at nice hotels on the Strip where hopefully roaches are kept out. Eww.

I also scream like a girl when I see a roach lol. I had one in my place once and whoever thinks they can't fly is wrong. This one came in the window the only day I've ever left my window open while not standing right at it. Sure enough later that day there it was and it took hours to kill it after an initial miss. I wouldn't sleep with it in the condo, I half-way thought if checking into a hotel if I couldn't kill it lol
That's funny Jonathan! If you really, really want to scream, visit the Natural History Museum. They got one of those GIGANTIC MADAGASCAR HISSING La Cucaracha's in a small aquarium there.

Oh, you'd scream all right looking at that one, lol.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:46 AM

149 posts, read 262,268 times
Omg people. If u have seen a flying Roach in Vegas u must have lived here ur whole life. I've lived here for years and never saw one. The only roaches u will see in the summer is around dirty areas streets and Parks and mainly only at night cuz its too hot for them during the day.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:25 AM

33 posts, read 120,918 times
Does BugBully work for only roaches or does it kill other bugs as well? I recently bought a vacation house here and will be in Vegas in 2 weeks and was told that I should spray the perimeter of my house twice a year but I have no idea what to use or what works best. Am I to spray the outside only or inside as well? Is Bugbully what I should use or is that primarily for roaches?

Old 04-06-2011, 11:33 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber_ecco View Post
Does BugBully work for only roaches or does it kill other bugs as well? I recently bought a vacation house here and will be in Vegas in 2 weeks and was told that I should spray the perimeter of my house twice a year but I have no idea what to use or what works best. Am I to spray the outside only or inside as well? Is Bugbully what I should use or is that primarily for roaches?
BugBully is a poster on this list. She runs a pest control business with her hubby. The only normally invasive bugs you encounter here are roaches and ants. We get sprayed once a month in the heat and a little less in the cool.

With desert landscaping you may get by with less.

We don't spray inside unless there is a problem as we have pets. It is generally thought to be safe to spray inside but we prefer to avoid it.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:42 PM

33 posts, read 120,918 times
Thanks for clearing that up for me. So where is the best place to buy the chemicals for spraying? Pest control companies or are those Home Defense sprays at Walmart adequate? Sorry for all the questions, we don't spray for bugs where I am from so its all new to me.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber_ecco View Post
Thanks for clearing that up for me. So where is the best place to buy the chemicals for spraying? Pest control companies or are those Home Defense sprays at Walmart adequate? Sorry for all the questions, we don't spray for bugs where I am from so its all new to me.
Home Depot, Lowe's, all those kind of places have concentrates and sprayers if you are a do it your selfer. But it's safer to hire an exterminator because, theoretically, they know what they are doing. The good ones have regular training for their people. If you do it you will tend to apply way too much pizzen. Not good for you and yours, your animals, or the environment ...E.g., the rest of us. Also no reason to panic over it. We don't have that many bugs here. But on the other hand, you don't want to allow any infestations of critters like roaches, or silver fish, that would be hard to get rid of. Not likely, but could happen. No matter what you do or how much you spray, you'll see a few critters walking across the floor now and then. Especially harmless earwigs. The two critters that are poisonous (slightly), scorpions and black widow spiders, are best whacked with something rather than trying to poison them. They don't drag their bodies through poison like other bugs do, so it has almost no effect on them unless you spray it directly on them. To find them you have to get out at night with a flashlight, or in the case of scorpions, a black light. Keep in mind, I came here 47 years ago this summer and I've seen maybe half a dozen scorpions in that time. You will almost always see black widows if you go for walks at night near block wall fences. You'll also find them in certain bushes, and right inside your garage door in a dark corner. They seldom are very far inside a building. They like it in dark places, and they will do everything they can to avoid you as long as you don't stick your hands in their webs. The webs by the way are a complete mess. They aren't the least bit artistic in their web making like other spiders.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:16 PM

By the way, wolf spiders are not toxic to humans even if they did bite, which they probably wouldn't since you are too big for their stomach. They are scary looking, but if you aren't squeamish you'll see that they are kind of interesting looking too. Every now and then I'll step outside and there will be one sitting in front of my door. They lie and wait for pray, then grab it. They don't use webs to catch food. Once in a great while one will get lost and end up in your closet or something. Try to catch it in a jar and put it outside. They are good at keeping bugs away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas