Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 03:54 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiD_DangerouS View Post
Was he supposed to say that the people are friendly, outgoing, and courteous in general? Because most are'nt(Again, no need for debate).
Actually the exact words of the OP were "People here are friendly, just cautious I think".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 05:45 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiD_DangerouS View Post
Its YOUR post that comes off as negative. The OP was gving an honest opinion laced with humor and charm and you simply complain because it didn't put an amazing positive spin on Vegas.
Fine.

You see humor and charm and I see the rantings of an angry young man with his "take that grammar fascists" and his "Not funny to you? Too bad" comments, as well as his veiled and not-so-veiled putdowns of Hispanics and Californians.

I somehow missed the charm of his post. But be that as it may, I seem to be a distinct minority of one with respect to the OP's comments, so I will bow out of this thread and leave it to the rest of you.

You will see no further comments from me here. Negative or otherwise.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:43 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Fine.

You see humor and charm and I see the rantings of an angry young man with his "take that grammar fascists" and his "Not funny to you? Too bad" comments, as well as his veiled and not-so-veiled putdowns of Hispanics and Californians.

I somehow missed the charm of his post. But be that as it may, I seem to be a distinct minority of one with respect to the OP's comments, so I will bow out of this thread and leave it to the rest of you.

Going to take your basketball and go home?

I don't agree particularly with the OP. But I thought it a good piece and well intended. Shows some biases but then that is not terribly unusual in most of America. I found it interesting he thought the hispanic presence less in LV than in TX...while I believe the LV hispanic percentage is at least as high or higher than Dallas or Houston.

I don't care for the comments on schools. Not that the schools here are great but they cover the range from excellent to awful. Just depends on where you live. And there ain't no place in say TX that has a different range.

The school issue gets worked to hard. If you are poor in almost all of the US you get lousey schools. Makes little difference where you are. And we certainly are not interested in fixing that in the SW US.

But all and all his views...and fairly presented.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:50 AM

124 posts, read 476,447 times
I think the OP was well written, honest and summed up life in Vegas quite well.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:57 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,952,172 times
Great post, your spot on, when I first came here I to noticed folks were aloof at first, but I am very out going so that didn't last long. And yes there is the grammar Nazis' my 3rd post I had a word that was misspelled and I had someone contacted me, and I should use spell check if I wanted to post.
I just ignore those folks.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:02 PM

12 posts, read 87,218 times
Quote:
You see humor and charm and I see the rantings of an angry young man with his "take that grammar fascists" and his "Not funny to you? Too bad" comments,
Yes, i do see the humor in it, because I can recognize sarcasm and jokes, as can the rest of the board and anyone with an iota of intelligence and social understanding.
Quote:
I seem to be a distinct minority of one with respect to the OP's comments, so I will bow out of this thread and leave it to the rest of you.

Ahh, how respectable. You come onto a funny, informative thread and spout negativity and when no one agrees with you, you head to another thread to do the same. Since thats the case, please feel free to leave the forum as well.

This forum is supposed to be informative, fun, and interesting. The OP's post was great, opinionated, and I liked it a lot. Cheers

Old 09-13-2009, 10:20 PM

176 posts, read 510,744 times
I have to agree with most people on here it was a great post. It sums up Las Vegas pretty well. Although not all of the schools are crummy, we came from a private school to a public school in Henderson and I cant stop raving about this school they have been great to my kid and hes really growing there. But other then that I agree with everything you said. I love the landscape here the mountains are just beautiful to me, some people say its too drab but I like it. Everyone is a little cautious but people come and go so you have to be that's not saying that people are not friendly because for the most part they are. But it all comes down to how and individual sees friendliness. Your post was your real point of view and its nice to see that.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:42 PM

450 posts, read 1,514,528 times
Default Re:

The post is detailed, it's right to the point and offers the OP's perspective which I thought in America, we had that right to list our opinions.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:55 PM

369 posts, read 1,095,673 times
good post. Congrats on the baby.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:58 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,635 times
Kudos to the OP for a humorous and informative post. Very nicely done. MMOB...don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas