Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 11:06 PM

430 posts, read 1,312,011 times

Advertisements

Is there a windy season here?

Its interesting, whenever anyone heard we were moving from Tucson, AZ to Vegas they would say, "oh it will just be a little cooler in the winter and hotter in the summer."

Everyone neglected to tell us about the wind. I ask, "so when are the winds the worst?" So far 2 people have told me, "Spring and Fall, (pause), well and sometimes in the Summer and Winter." So essentially most of the time. IMO its like a weekly event really seems like 3 out of 7 days a week.

The wind is driving me nuts; the solar screens bang on the windows (we have one we take off now), we have to take in the grill cover and patio umbrella constantly and clean up our front and backyard from the debris. I was totally shocked at the number of golfers on the course today.

No one ever mentioned there is a wind chill here. Today has been like sustained 25 mph and the gusts are tremendous. Its a dry cold wind. Just like its a dry heat. Chicago has nothing on this place.

No really, is there a windy season? Please tell me our first three windy months here are unusual or only this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 11:31 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times
Being in a valley has something to do with it.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:43 PM

16 posts, read 49,774 times
lol ya the wind is pretty bad tore my awning to shreads first week I was here couse I didnt know. oh well I wont miss it tell summer. looks like im gunna have to learn to like wind.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:58 PM

450 posts, read 1,513,853 times
I thought it was only whenever I wanted to go bike riding! Glad I'm not the only one realizing this wind effect. Although, I'm thankful there is no snow associated with it, because I've pretty much had my life fulfilled of that crap!

Old 10-28-2009, 12:48 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Be grateful that bad weather in Las Vegas only means wind. Remember we don't have that other stuff the rest of the country has to put up with. But we get our wind usually from the Pacific ocean. California issued damaging wind warnings today, so it's not just here, it's the entire southwest. We get a lot of wind in the fall and winter, but really it happens just about anytime of year. If I can stay indoors I like to listen to it, but I really hate being outside in the wind. My dogs love it though. It invigorates them. I do get tired of sweeping the patio.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:26 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Windchill is windchill.

Try some evening in January when it gets down to 20-25 degrees and pack a 30-40MPH wind behind it. You've got it! Below zero windchill!

Even with a evening temp at 35 degrees with a wind blaster behind it!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 AM

61 posts, read 194,906 times
I get a kick out of seeing my dog facing the wind. He seems to enjoy doing it. And his face fur just sticks back. Really cute.

Strangely enough the wind seems to be something you cant get away from! I get on the patio and the wind just whips around and you cant get away from it! Does it come from the the north, the south, etc. It just seems to blow every which way. Does that make sense? I mean in whichever corner I try to hide it seems to find me!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsMom View Post
I get a kick out of seeing my dog facing the wind. He seems to enjoy doing it. And his face fur just sticks back. Really cute.

Strangely enough the wind seems to be something you cant get away from! I get on the patio and the wind just whips around and you cant get away from it! Does it come from the the north, the south, etc. It just seems to blow every which way. Does that make sense? I mean in whichever corner I try to hide it seems to find me!
Yeh, but try blowing in your dog's face...it'll get him PO'd.

Our winds are mostly from the SW, but the really cold ones come from the NW. Of course it can come from anywhere. The nice thing about the wind is that it will blow out the stale valley air. When there is no wind the air gets bad and you can see the haze. That's just the desert.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:25 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Hmm....SUN AND WIND energy potentials...

Old 10-28-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Windchill is windchill.

Try some evening in January when it gets down to 20-25 degrees and pack a 30-40MPH wind behind it. You've got it! Below zero windchill!

Even with a evening temp at 35 degrees with a wind blaster behind it!
That is correct. I've been through over 40 Januarys here. My wife says we have two seasons...summer and January.

Back east we had 20 below Januarys with snow three feet deep, and wind too. We both actually prefer winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas