Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 02:30 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times

Advertisements

It's human nature to rationalize our decisions. I'm very sure that about now the "lenders" have been placed in one giant bucket. So when someone walks they are going to think that it's o.k. because the lenders "all took tarp money" or the lenders "had predatory practices" etc. Who says your specific lender was shady???

Now, some people are thinking it's the lenders fault the market continues to tank because they want to feel comfortable and use foreclosure values for comparisons. Of course they want to do this after the melt down. So would you. Our residential RE poster shares this view that it's the lenders fault. Speaking of which, his morals are so flawed that he's telling people to walk from their loans and do a short sale (more biz for him I guess).

My point is, if you walk and you are worried about if someone is going to come after your other assets etc you are P.O.S. You are POS because you are screwing your lender, screwing your neighbor and screwing your country. We all have the capability of being a POS. But just call it the way it is versus rationalizing it was someone else s fault. Yes. The lenders, agents, etc were POS at times as well. But didn't Mom teach you that two wrongs don't make a right??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 02:40 AM

86 posts, read 171,719 times
Stupid question here!

How do you get from giving my crazy old Aunt Edna, (who hasn't got a cent to her name), a huge loan to buy a house in Vegas. To Bear Stearns, Lehman Bro. AIG, etc all going belly up at the same time and almost bringing down the whole global finance system.

Got to be a Moderator cut: insppropriate language or two in that chain of events. anyone got a clue?

Last edited by Chickrae; 11-13-2009 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: no abbreviations of profanity

Old 11-13-2009, 03:02 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisuli View Post
Stupid question here!

How do you get from giving my crazy old Aunt Edna, (who hasn't got a cent to her name), a huge loan to buy a house in Vegas. To Bear Stearns, Lehman Bro. AIG, etc all going belly up at the same time and almost bringing down the whole global finance system.

Got to be a Moderator cut: inapproriate language or two in that chain of events. anyone got a clue?
You need the Subprime Primer.

subprime works

Last edited by Chickrae; 11-13-2009 at 10:15 PM..

Old 11-13-2009, 05:29 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post

subprime works
Great link!!

Old 11-13-2009, 09:48 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post

subprime works
If I could give that an academy award I would. I was laughing hysterically and its the most honest, realistic portrayal I have seen anywhere!!!

Old 11-13-2009, 11:39 AM

33 posts, read 63,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Our residential RE poster shares this view that it's the lenders fault. Speaking of which, his morals are so flawed that he's telling people to walk from their loans and do a short sale (more biz for him I guess).
Is it that flawed? Ethics aside, it makes sense for certain people to do what he's suggesting. Sure your credit is destroyed, but what good is having great credit when you are so far in debt that you'd have to be insane to go out and spend more?

People make mistakes, make bad decisions. It's life. I guess I just don't have the "I'm going down with the ship" mentality that cowboys like you do. Although, I'm guessing you didn't buy during the bubble (congratulations!) and therefore you can sit back and take shots at people from the comfort of your armchair.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:48 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J78Jason View Post
Is it that flawed? Ethics aside, it makes sense for certain people to do what he's suggesting. Sure your credit is destroyed, but what good is having great credit when you are so far in debt that you'd have to be insane to go out and spend more?

People make mistakes, make bad decisions. It's life. I guess I just don't have the "I'm going down with the ship" mentality that cowboys like you do. Although, I'm guessing you didn't buy during the bubble (congratulations!) and therefore you can sit back and take shots at people from the comfort of your armchair.

I also make no such general recommendation. It is situational and one on one decision. MNBNR and TS see things with total clarity. Incorrectly of course...but with total clarity.

There are many situations where I would counsel a person to walk. There are however a number of places where I would strongly counsel againt it. All depends.

Only the true believers have such clear insight. Mere mortals must simply try to do the right thing.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
It's human nature to rationalize our decisions. I'm very sure that about now the "lenders" have been placed in one giant bucket. So when someone walks they are going to think that it's o.k. because the lenders "all took tarp money" or the lenders "had predatory practices" etc. Who says your specific lender was shady???
Heres how you can tell. If they went DOWN, they probably werent shady. IF they are still standing, they probably were and STILL are.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:22 PM

Anyone who doesnt understand the banking system should see this.

It starts off slow, so if you have a short attention span skip to the banking part. Its VERY eye opening. Also, the very end is a little dreamy.

But the banking portion and the history of the US using debt to enslave populations here as well as elsewhere is really spot on and a must see for all!!!

Zeitgest: addendum

Old 11-13-2009, 12:52 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I also make no such general recommendation. It is situational and one on one decision. MNBNR and TS see things with total clarity. Incorrectly of course...but with total clarity.

There are many situations where I would counsel a person to walk. There are however a number of places where I would strongly counsel againt it. All depends.

Only the true believers have such clear insight. Mere mortals must simply try to do the right thing.
Yeah, it is a situational decision but you'd never know it by looking at your standard, pat advice on this board which is to; stop paying your mortage, ask for a short sale, if denied go into foreclosure and milk the system for as long as possible. You have a very limited toolkit with which you work.

And don't forget the key money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas