Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 04:26 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swainik View Post
However, be aware that LV just passed a mandatory spay/neuter ordinance, so the dog will need to be fixed.
That is not correct... It is a NORTH LAS VEGAS ordinance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 04:27 PM

Please go to Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder It lists the puppies/and dogs at a shelter... also consider getting a bit older dog (1yr, 2yr) as the older the dog is, the worse the situation is for the dog at the shelter....

Old 12-19-2009, 04:31 PM

Our 3 dogs came from shelters through petfinder.com
Attached Thumbnails
Rottweiler Puppy-img_0651.jpg  

Old 12-19-2009, 05:44 PM

119 posts, read 197,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Our 3 dogs came from shelters through petfinder.com
Awesome dogs. We have two shelter animals, both Chihuahua mixes. One we got in Washington and the boy we got at Lied Animal Shelter. He was quite expensive for some reason and there were tons of dogs. It seemed like a nice shelter but I got a weird vibe from it.

Sampson was about 5 lbs at most when we got him, he had been abused and starved. Has a wicked cool burn scar on his right shoulder and he is a psycho little dog. He has put on too much weight to be honest and is quite the sweet dog now. When we got him you couldn't raise your voice to him or he would hunker down by a wall and slink away scared as heck. Poor guy.

You couldn't pick up the broom near him or he would do the same thing.

I wish I could tap his memories and find the jerk that did those things to him, oh how I wish.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
That is not correct... It is a NORTH LAS VEGAS ordinance.
actually i am incorrect, it changed last month to the whole valley

Old 12-20-2009, 12:07 PM

542 posts, read 1,929,437 times
I checked out the sites you all suggested. Now I REALLY can't wait to move into our new home so we can get a puppy!!! Thanks everyone!

INSTEAD of starting a whole new thread I will switch the direction of this one just a bit.
For those who have pets... what do you do with them if you go out of town?

I'm trying to think of all the "what ifs" before we bring our new puppy home. I'm a single mom and if I go out of town.... that's it! LOL I have friends here but with a rottweiler people are ALREADY saying "Why your are getting that type of dog". "Aren't they violent", "You have a child". It's so sad how dogs get a bad rap because of the Owners who mistreat them and make them mean dogs. So that being said... don't know if I can get a "friend" to come and feed my dog if/when I'm away. lol

Old 12-20-2009, 12:35 PM

119 posts, read 197,205 times
I am pretty sure there are plenty of kennels and such who would charge to take your dogs, don't know how much.

You didn't ask and I don't want to sound preachy because I am not that type but just the physical size of that dog is a danger to a small child. If the dog ACCIDENTALLY nipped at a kid it could hurt the child horribly. My little chihuahua mix dogs would probably be meaner but they would have to really try to hurt a kid badly (not counting scarring)

Chances are that the dog would instead protect the child from harm but you never know.

When we moved here years ago I noticed that a lot of people kept their big dogs in their dirt and rock back yards in 115 degree heat. I wouldn't do that to a dog here. I would move back home to the NW if I wanted a big dog, just me though.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:56 PM

228 posts, read 555,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post

I'm trying to think of all the "what ifs" before we bring our new puppy home.
Great question! Very, very, very great question.
So many people forget to give this scenario serious thought BEFORE bringing a pet home, and only recognize it's an issue after the fact.

I have a dog and I have to travel about once every 6 weeks or so (usually a 1 night/2 day or 2 night/3 day trip). But I have someone who can "dog sit" for me. Same has been the case in the other cities I have lived. So I've never had to use a kennel.

Sorry I couldn't help in that regard.
Just wanted to COMMEND you for asking this question so far in advance.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:37 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
INSTEAD of starting a whole new thread I will switch the direction of this one just a bit.

I'm trying to think of all the "what ifs" before we bring our new puppy home. I'm a single mom and if I go out of town.... that's it! LOL I have friends here but with a rottweiler people are ALREADY saying "Why your are getting that type of dog". "Aren't they violent", "You have a child". It's so sad how dogs get a bad rap because of the Owners who mistreat them and make them mean dogs. So that being said... don't know if I can get a "friend" to come and feed my dog if/when I'm away. lol
I'm a single mom too. When we went out of town for a weekend, I boarded our springer with the Durango Animal Clinic. He seemed to like it very much and was happy and healthy when we returned. My son cried when we left him there. I was like, "He's just going to stay for the weekend." Of course, we then learned that the hotel we stayed in had kennels available-- with camera's that you could watch from the hotel television! My kids and I watched the dog kennels almost more than regular television!

We took a trip to Denver for a week and I found a hotel that accepted pets. I took him with us. We picked up another dog (yup, we have 2) on the way back to Vegas. My male is the uncle to the female! Yes, they've both been fixed. My kids sometimes comment how they would have loved for her to have pups, but I'm like "oh, heck no!"

There are a lot of folks in my neighborhood that have dogs and I could probably recruit several to take care of my dogs if I had to go out of town unexpectedly. There is also Anthem pet sitting service. Anthem Pet Sitting - Home and reviews on Anthem Pet Sitting, 8022 S Rainbow Boulevard, Las Vegas, NV 89139 - Kudzu.com Profile I contacted the owner and she was ready, willing, available to schedule me right in. They were a little more pricey than Durango Animal Hospital, but an available alternative.

And, dogs, usually no matter what the breed are a product of their environment. I have to really manage my male because he's just a crazy boy, but the female is surprisingly submissive. You even raise your voice and she rolls over and sticks her feet up. My daughter loves the rough and tumble male and my son loves the cuddling female. Go figure.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:10 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,320,826 times
MovingontoVegas, you are putting a lot of great thought into this new puppy and I hope you consider the suggestions to consider a rescue pup. I have 3 rescue dogs myself and have owned and trained dogs all my life. As a single Mom who must work fulltime, be aware the success you will have with your new puppy or dog depends on the amount of time you can devote to its training. Also knowing the background of each breed and making sure the genetic traits of that dog fit into your lifestyle is very important. A big dog like a Rott, German Shepherd, Chow or Pitt can make a wonderful pet as long as the person who adopts it has the time not only to train it properly from day one but develop it's respect so it never gets out of hand. No one could overlook the bad behavior of a German Shepherd jumping, barking, growling and jumping on a person or pulling their owner down the street at the end of a leash when being walked as they would if it were a furry little lap dog. Read everything you can about breed selection. A bigger dog is also more expensive. I always board my dogs when being away from home for any length of time and it costs approx. $30 per day, per dog. Although it is nice on one hand to leave them home and have someone come in a few times a day for feeding, that's a lot of hours for that dog to be alone and bored. And a bored dog can mean big trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas