Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 02:03 AM

52 posts, read 107,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
IMHO, that is not healthy for you to endure that environment. Dogs can and should be controlled. They don't have to be debarked. The bark collar worked well on my male.

I don't understand folks that say "empty household for 8 to 10hr a day" is a problem. Who can stay home and baby sit a dog? Whatever.
Arg! I live in an old neighborhood that has alleys nehind the houses, and the guy that lives behind me decided to make the alley part of his backyard. He took his fence down, so now, my fence is his fence. This really isnt a big deal except his dogs dig under the fence and fight with my dogs, so now I have to keep my dogs in the house while I am at work. I tried to talk to this guy to see if we could come upon a resolution for the problem, but he told me to get lost (he didnt say it like that, but you get the gist of what I'm implying). So, after a different neighbor complained that they could hear my dogs barking eventhough they were kept indoors, I decided to make one of the really small spare rooms a doggie play room. It has toys, food and water, and doggie beds in it. If we know we are going to be gone for quite a bit, we put the dogs in there, blocking the door with a baby gate, and turn on the radio so that the dogs will not start barking at outside noise while we are away. This has seemed to work really well, havent received a complaint since!

Another thing that worked was we used to leave the TV on the Food Network. My dogs are really bad at begging, so they'd literally sit in front of the TV while we were gone, hoping for a snack to fall out of the TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 05:40 PM

252 posts, read 953,384 times
I don't live in Las Vegas nor sleep during the day (unless I have a migraine) but I do work from home and can tell you that dogs left outside all day do bark. I am surrounded by dogs left outside that bark, whine and yip for hours. They are clearly miserable and so am I.

One dog just sits in the center of his yard and howls to the sky all day. Another yips at the sliding glass door he was put out. One barks at anything and everything that moves. All bark for hours, not a few minutes. Hours. Daily.

I have to use the AC rather than open a window and we also just paid a fortune to upgrade our windows, siding and insulation partly to try to reduce the noise of barking inside our house.

IF you leave your dogs alone all day outside, I'm willing to bet money that they bark and bark and bark. They are pack animals and want to be with their packs at all times. They do not happily play with each other all day long and enjoy their yards without their humans.

At least if they are crated inside most would sleep all day rather than bark all day. If they do bark in their crates most neighbors won't hear them. Most dogs consider their crates their dens and they are safe and secure in them.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:08 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Another question should be is whether or not the dogs were purchased to be pets or guard dogs.

If their sole role in life is to be a guard dog, that speaks of a miserable life.

A friend of mine is spending a noisy winter in Oaxaca, Mexico and he's moved twice now to escape barking dogs to no avail, as in that part of the world, any number of dogs are chosen for security for their houses and many are treated miserably.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:43 PM

52 posts, read 107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Another question should be is whether or not the dogs were purchased to be pets or guard dogs.

If their sole role in life is to be a guard dog, that speaks of a miserable life.

A friend of mine is spending a noisy winter in Oaxaca, Mexico and he's moved twice now to escape barking dogs to no avail, as in that part of the world, any number of dogs are chosen for security for their houses and many are treated miserably.
And many just roam the neighborhoods freely. Thats part of the problem in my neighborhood; many of the dog owners let their dogs use the entire neighborhood as their backyard.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 5,105 times
just send your dog to obdience school and there wont be a problem. ive seen dogs get taken and beat down for this. people will even open your gate so yoour dog can run away. owners! take care of it or your dog will suffer.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama420 View Post
just send your dog to obdience school and there wont be a problem. ive seen dogs get taken and beat down for this. people will even open your gate so your dog can run away. owners! take care of it or your dog will suffer.
That is why you get a padlock and lock the gate. If you don't have a padlock, a plastic cable tie will suffice until you get one.

Quote:
And many just roam the neighborhoods freely. Thats part of the problem in my neighborhood; many of the dog owners let their dogs use the entire neighborhood as their backyard.
In this case I would be very tempted to call animal control. Roaming dogs are not only a terrible risk for young children, but a risk that the animal will be injured or killed by motorists.

Quote:
Arg! I live in an old neighborhood that has alleys nehind the houses, and the guy that lives behind me decided to make the alley part of his backyard. He took his fence down, so now, my fence is his fence. This really isnt a big deal except his dogs dig under the fence and fight with my dogs, so now I have to keep my dogs in the house while I am at work. I tried to talk to this guy to see if we could come upon a resolution for the problem, but he told me to get lost (he didnt say it like that, but you get the gist of what I'm implying).
Okay, so call the city and file a complaint. You did your due diligence and reached out. If he is such a butt, then you have to deal with him in a different way. He cannot just claim the alley as his backyard. An alley is public property and anyone should have access. It is a big deal when his dogs are not being control or contained and are causing loss of peaceful enjoyment.

I am the last person that really wants to engage in a confrontation, albeit, it seems in this town it is rather a frequent occurance. However, if you have been nice and tried to work out the problem and the other side is not cooperative, then you have no other choices available but to take the legal route. Does that make for good neighbors? No. Does it let them know that you will exercise your right to peaceful enjoyment? Yes.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:34 PM

52 posts, read 228,239 times
I own a dog, and so do most of my neighbors....but when my dog barks I tell him to kncok it off!!! I never hear ANY of my neighbors yelling at their dogs.....I love my dog, but would not ALLOW him to disturb the peace....be neighborly.....keep them quiet!!!!

Old 01-05-2010, 02:18 PM

369 posts, read 1,095,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashboardangel View Post
I do let my dogs inside at night and place them in crates. I let them outside while I'm at work so they can get their exercise, go potty and not be cooped up all day. I don't think it's an acceptable compromise to place my dogs in crates from 8pm to 6:00 a.m., and then again from 6:30 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. In fact, it seems sort of cruel to do that to them. I love my dogs very much and I don't want to cause problems with the neighbors, but I think that there has to be a more reasonable compromise then "keep your dogs locked in crates all day and all night."
I'm not understanding why you crate your dogs at night while it is sleep time? You could crate them during the day and then not at night.

I was just visited by Animal Control two days ago, because my neighbor complains that my 2 dogs live in "unsanitary conditions" meaning the dog poop sits for 2 days instead of 1 in my backyard. Well, officer came into backyard, and said it obviously was not unsanitary, but this apparently was the THIRD complaint from this woman (the prior two times I was out of town and my boy friend had the same thing happen, they come out and look in the yard, say it's fine, etc. etc.). This time I said... so you're telling me this neighbor can call any time, and you will disturb me even though you've been out here 3 times and seen that she's lying?? THey said they have to follow up on it. This same neighbor complained about my dogs barking... INSIDE. Yea. and then complained that my boyfriend was parked in the red zone in front of my house with the fire hydrant. sorry he parked a little too far into the red, since the curb had snow covering it!!! The police came the day before animal control. at least both officers were pretty friendly and knew the complaints were extremely petty. i personally dont know what this neighbor's problem is, and it's getting extremely frustrating. However

As I empathize with you being visited by Animal Control, I don't think it's okay to leave your dogs outside for 10 hours. While dogs barking is a normal thing, it is not fair, regardless of the laws, to have your dogs barking nonstop (which probably happens more than you think). I personally work during the day, at home, and having the whining and barking of a dog behind me is sooooo depressing and upsetting to me, as a dog owner. They are not happy. and if i get the job in Vegas, will be sleeping DURING the day, so then especially would be pissed about dogs barking (not once or twice)

I know that dogs are terrors, mine certainly are, and have eaten everything from shoes to my couch with everything in between including my digital camera and 20.00 bills... But that is something you deal with as a dog owner, and you train and keep everything off the floor! they get bored. Maybe you should think about dog walkers or day care. I know it's pricy, but maybe even once a week. It's not fair to the dogs or to your neighbors.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
I know that dogs are terrors, mine certainly are, and have eaten everything from shoes to my couch with everything in between including my digital camera and 20.00 bills... But that is something you deal with as a dog owner, and you train and keep everything off the floor! they get bored. Maybe you should think about dog walkers or day care. I know it's pricy, but maybe even once a week. It's not fair to the dogs or to your neighbors.

Yikes! Who's trained? The dogs or the owners?

Old 01-06-2010, 07:33 AM

89 posts, read 232,842 times
Update: the neighbor's dog now has one of those shock collars on in order to "debark" it. So now it cries all day instead of barking because the crying apparently doesn't set off the shock mechanism. Moderator cut: no abbreviations of profanity

I don't even know where to start with this one....

Last edited by Chickrae; 01-06-2010 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: no profanity...even slang abbreviations...sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas