Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 04:17 PM

815 posts, read 2,051,606 times

Advertisements

I rented out my house in NW this September for a year long lease. This month, I get my check from them with two bills for work that I did not authorize or even know about. One bill was for an exterminator to spray inside and outside the house. I have never used an exterminator before and am wondering if this is my responsibility. I suppose the tenants complained about the bugs (I never saw them in the house), and the Property managers billed me for the service.

Second bill is for a clothes dryer motor not working. Now, I do own the appliances, and if a motor burned out, I would have to replace it. However, the motor was fine, it just needed two hours of lint removal! So I get billed $150. because the tenant doesn't remove the lint from the dryer after each use? Why would they start removing lint now, if I just foot the bill every time the motor doesn't work!

I just need some feedback to see if I am totally wrong, or being played for a fool. If you think the latter, could you reccommend a good property management firm that can manage it with me in mind? I feel like there are a whole bunch of people taking rides on my wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 05:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
I rented out my house in NW this September for a year long lease. This month, I get my check from them with two bills for work that I did not authorize or even know about. One bill was for an exterminator to spray inside and outside the house. I have never used an exterminator before and am wondering if this is my responsibility. I suppose the tenants complained about the bugs (I never saw them in the house), and the Property managers billed me for the service.

Second bill is for a clothes dryer motor not working. Now, I do own the appliances, and if a motor burned out, I would have to replace it. However, the motor was fine, it just needed two hours of lint removal! So I get billed $150. because the tenant doesn't remove the lint from the dryer after each use? Why would they start removing lint now, if I just foot the bill every time the motor doesn't work!

I just need some feedback to see if I am totally wrong, or being played for a fool. If you think the latter, could you reccommend a good property management firm that can manage it with me in mind? I feel like there are a whole bunch of people taking rides on my wallet.
What does the lease say? Normally you cover repairs of equipment above some dollar amount. But that would not include tenant caused damage.

Spraying is generally a good idea in Vegas. However it would not automatically be required of the LL. Again does the lease say anything?

If I remember you have the added problem of Section 8...which may have regulations that require spraying.

In both cases you should ask your PM why you paid. And they should have some reasonable answer.

IN a regular lease I would go with the lease terms. Section 8 however may complicate. Ask...

Old 12-26-2009, 08:59 PM

549 posts, read 1,379,777 times
Quote:

Here is another response of mine on a previous thread. http://www.city-data.com/forum/12162765-post10.html

In general, as a tenant, I have always taken care of any pest problem and it was not the landlords responsibility.

Wow, 2 hrs of lint removal? WTH are they thinking? Not only is that bad for the motor it is also a fire hazard! May I say that your Prop Mgmt Co rented your house to an idiot?

Go back to your contract with the Prop Mgmt Co. If it doesn't, it needs to specify who is responsible for what. You may want to consider a modification of terms.

BTW, I'm not Section 8.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:37 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
your contract with the property management company and/or lease should state that anything under a certain amount (my tenants is $300) is the tenant's responsibility

Old 12-27-2009, 12:14 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,276 times
I sent you a PM regarding the Pest Control. How much did they charge you?

Old 12-27-2009, 03:39 PM

815 posts, read 2,051,606 times
$90 for the spraying and $150 for two hours of clothes dryer lint removal. That was all for this month on top of the 8% for their fee.

Olecapt,
They never sent me a lease, claiming that it was their client and they were afraid of me going direct after the term of the lease (one year). I thought it was odd that the owner of the property does not get a copy of the lease.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:13 PM

Wow, that is an crazy amount! Wish I could charge someone that amount, not! They are trying to rob you!

Keep me posted after you talk to them! Just think of how many other people they are doing that to! Really sad!!!

Old 12-27-2009, 04:18 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
$90 for the spraying and $150 for two hours of clothes dryer lint removal. That was all for this month on top of the 8% for their fee.

Olecapt,
They never sent me a lease, claiming that it was their client and they were afraid of me going direct after the term of the lease (one year). I thought it was odd that the owner of the property does not get a copy of the lease.
Give them an A for chutzpah...As far as I know the lease is between the owner and the renter. I would think they have no right to refuse you a copy...standardly they can sign a lease on your behalf but it is an agent principal relationship which would not allow witholding of the lease. They sign on your behalf so they can't keep it away from you.

Send letter that you want a copy and now. Take a good look at the PM agreement. If it is the standard one there should be nothing authorizing them to withold the lease.

They can build into the PM agreement a renewal clause so they get paid if you keep the tenant.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:10 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
wow.. who is the property management company... 90 for a spray... sheesh...

Old 12-27-2009, 08:30 PM

And with a company that is not even liscensed with the state! If they really even had it done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas