Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
Hello...we like you are heading to LV from Virginia. Lived in Tucson for over 3 years and I would have to challenge the comments about long hair and coyotes. I have double coated belgium sheetdog that was misrable in the heat. A trip to the local vet ended up having him shaved down to a close poodle model so he could breath properly and sleep at night...we had tile floors too. I would encourage you to check with your vet...ours stated very quickly the the fur had to go especially since our doggie was not young anymore. As for those pesky coyotes...be careful there too. Your Border Collies would not stand a chance against several coyotes. The ones we experienced in Tucson where the size of a small shepherd and they are very cleaver. Many stories there of them jumping shorter block fences and taking pets, even in broad daylight. I have a big bone German Shepherd that would love a coyote for lunch however we will still be keeping an eye out there for our smaller lab mix.
"Many people clip or shave their dogs in the summer time with the logic that less hair will allow for a cooler canine. However, Dr. Karen Campbell, a veterinary dermatologist at the University of Illinois Veterinary Teaching Hospital in Urbana, Ill., explains that clipping your dog may be counterproductive. The canine coat is designed to hold heat near the body in the winter, but also to insulate against the heat from the sun in the summer. Leaving your dog's hair coat intact will actually provide a cool microenvironment for your pet. Your pet's fur also helps act as a sunscreen to protect its skin from ultraviolet radiation. Yes, dogs can get sunburn as well."

Exception very dark long haired dogs. Where the color may increase heat absorption...Ask your vet...you may be surprised.

Coyotes in the NW have generally learned not to come over walls. All have found a german shepherd or pit bull on the other side. Note though they prowl the roads and such and will go after cats or small dogs.

Came in the eastern gate at Spanish Trails one morning a year ago to find a big coyote ***** in the middle of the road daring us to proceed. Beeped at her and she vanished into a viaduct. They often refer to the rough on the golf courses as the "coyote buffet".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 09:41 PM

19 posts, read 30,059 times
The coyotes here in Ky are of the very large, very loud, very stupid variety. The ones I've come in contact with (literally) I hit one on I-71N about 0515 on my way to work. He just ran in front of me and it was him or the rock wall so I went with him. I hit him going about 75mph and he did $2800 worth of damage to my mini van. But, I lived, he didn't.

What are these viaducts and flood retention places you all speak of? I didn't think it rained much there.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:48 PM

[quote=olecapt;13704116]Lagrange KY...Used to fish there as a kid. Was not there a lake or pond by the Reformatory?

Just curious but how/why/when did you fish at the reformatory?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:28 PM

55 posts, read 70,087 times
Been living in this area since July, having moved from another state. While I'm biased towards Las Vegas in general (lived here once before for nine months) I can say this area didn't even exist really when I left in early 2001.

My neighborhood is quiet, and uneventful. If my biggest complaint is that my neighbor's kids sometimes ride their bike in my rocks, I don't think the world is going to come to an end anytime soon. I'll love it more when some of the "coming soon" shopping centers are built out, but really I have no complaints.

Summerlin in general is quite nice, so explore that area lots too and see if something grabs you. Whenever I'm in Summerlin, I always feel like I'm in another city... which is kinda cool.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:52 PM

[quote=vivvers;13730834]
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Lagrange KY...Used to fish there as a kid. Was not there a lake or pond by the Reformatory?

Just curious but how/why/when did you fish at the reformatory?
Roughly 60 years ago. I grew up in Louisville. In fact my father was the local executive in charge of the Derby visitors for Seagrams. He was a Kentucky Colonel and had pull in odd places. First place I ever really fished. Sometimes educated in the art by a trustee. Just pan fish but sometimes lots of them. And sometimes the most interesting creature a snapping turtle. Later on the Ohio and in the creeks of the Fort Knox area.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:36 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
[quote=olecapt;13731523]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivvers View Post

Roughly 60 years ago. I grew up in Louisville. In fact my father was the local executive in charge of the Derby visitors for Seagram's. He was a Kentucky Colonel and had pull in odd places. First place I ever really fished. Sometimes educated in the art by a trustee. Just pan fish but sometimes lots of them. And sometimes the most interesting creature a snapping turtle. Later on the Ohio and in the creeks of the Fort Knox area.
Hmmmmmm. I wonder ...if you wouldn't get life in prison for it... could you eat a desert tortoise? Men I knew in West b.g. Virginia used to catch turtles by sliding their flat hand, palm up, into the turtle dins along the banks of rivers. The turtle can't bend his head down to bite you, so you just slide him out...carefully. Makes good soup.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
The coyotes here in Ky are of the very large, very loud, very stupid variety. The ones I've come in contact with (literally) I hit one on I-71N about 0515 on my way to work. He just ran in front of me and it was him or the rock wall so I went with him. I hit him going about 75mph and he did $2800 worth of damage to my mini van. But, I lived, he didn't.

What are these viaducts and flood retention places you all speak of? I didn't think it rained much there.
Rains very little. But it can rain very intensely in a small area for a short period of time. So the city has an extensive flood control system pretty much everywhere. Just dump it all into big holding basins and let it soak in or evaporate.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:16 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:

You seldom see a dead coyote on the highways here. It happens, but our coyotes are very smart. The eastern coyotes are the ones that were run out of the west for having low SAT scores.

We average just just over 4 inches of rain a year. Last year we had about 1½ inches for the whole 12 months, and so far this year we've had over 3½, so it's been a wet spring. When it rains here it might hit 1 inch in a day, but usually it's closer to a tenth of an inch...or as we like to say...we had four feet of rain...a drop every four feet. ½ inch of rain in the desert can cause flash floods because the ground doesn't absorb it fast enough. So we have a zillion flood basins, and they try to control the run off and keep it from flowing right down the street.

For many years we didn't have storm drains. All we had were dips in the intersections for run-off. Even roads crossing a wash just dipped down into washes instead of having bridges. Every year we would have a drowning or two of idiots trying to cross a flooded wash. They've got a pretty good handle on it now, but you do have to buy flood insurance if your house is in a flood zone.

Usually most of our rain comes in July and August during the monsoon season in the Pacific. Sometimes the monsoons miss us altogether, or drop all the rain on southern Arizona before the storm gets here.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 AM

Well, this is it. The movers are getting ready to unplug and pack my computer. I'll talk to you all next from my lovely new home in Vegas! Thanks for all of the wonderful info!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:28 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,280 times
good luck..hope all goes well with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas