Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:14 AM

182 posts, read 246,284 times

Advertisements

Goodluck with the preservation of the area. Homes are now all around the park and beyond. I remember driving there when it was just the park and not much else going on and now homes were built right at the entrance to the park.

Off and On the Vegas Strip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:18 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
The OP is looking for a place to rent a home on a lake. Desert Shores or The Lakes would be the only place for that, and the choices would be few I imagine. But if you can find one take it. My wife and I have been wishing for some time now that we had bought a house on one of the lakes at Desert Shores. The Lakes doesn't do much for me though, even though my wife works in the area.
A few of the parks around town have fishing ponds, but you can't live in a park ...sorry.

Just keep in mind that this is desert, and it won't look anything like where you're from unless you're from somewhere in the Mojave Desert. We don't have the greenery that any other place has outside of the southwest. No woods, no green fields, no creeks, no hills, no beautiful farms ...just flat, dry desert with low, sparse vegetation, surrounded by mountains that, from down here, look bare (but they're not).

To those interested, it looks like the Ice Age Park will be a reality. I think it will be a National Park. Floyd Lamb Park is not just the part you see with grass and ponds. It goes way out across the desert. I hope they leave it natural. Hopefully all the homes out there that can be built have been built. As far as I can tell, just about everything north of Floyd Lamb is conservation area: Tule Springs, Desert National Wildlife Refuge, Clark County Shooting Park, Indian Reservation, etc. I hope that isn't just wishful thinking.

http://www.tulespringslv.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemi d=38 (broken link)

Old 04-30-2010, 10:48 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
The plan is to extend Floyd Lamb to the mountains and east to Decatur.

Note however an outer beltway is planned close to the mountains through the park.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The plan is to extend Floyd Lamb to the mountains and east to Decatur.

Note however an outer beltway is planned close to the mountains through the park.
If it wasn't for POTS that road would have destroyed a lot of our history, not to mention a plant species. The road is a symbol of the greed of our elected officials. Once something valuable is gone it is gone forever.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:28 PM

Default Bearpoppy walk

Not to high-jack this thread, but since the original question has been answered and this subject came up, I got the following email the other day from the spark-plug behind all the efforts. I assume that anyone willing to help is welcome; but you can contact Jill and ask.

Hi everyone:

The bear poppies are in full bloom and beautiful this year. I have several requests for a walk, so on Sunday May 2nd at 11am we will meet at Aliante Parkway and Grand Teton. Park cars across street by Waterfall. We will walk about 1/4 mile down to the bear poppies. Bring you cameras and water!!!

Also, things are progressing on the National Monument status. Boundary lines are still in question in part so hang in there. We will get there.

Thanks to the 33 people who finished their Paleontology training and site steward training. That is a lot of hours and a big commitment!!! But, excavating that mammoth site, tusks and all was worth it!!! That site will also be used this fall for the next training group. Dates to be announced soon!

The Protectors of Tule Springs group was recognized at the 40th anniversary of Earth Day by the Sierra Club for our Environmental Stewardship. We are all a part of that recognition. So CONGRATULATIONS!!

Hope to see you Sunday!

Jill K. DeStefano
protectorsoftulesprings@gmail.com

Old 04-30-2010, 12:53 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
If it wasn't for POTS that road would have destroyed a lot of our history, not to mention a plant species. The road is a symbol of the greed of our elected officials. Once something valuable is gone it is gone forever.
Actually I believe the right of way has been reserved. It may never happens as I suspect it is at least 20 years away...but I would not bet against it either.

It will I think depend on how Las Vegas develops in that quadrant.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actually I believe the right of way has been reserved. It may never happens as I suspect it is at least 20 years away...but I would not bet against it either.

It will I think depend on how Las Vegas develops in that quadrant.
There will be a road but now it won't take out one of the best archaeological sites in the country, and it won't kill off the bear poppies that are found no where else on earth.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:30 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Not to high-jack this thread, but since the original question has been answered and this subject came up, I got the following email the other day from the spark-plug behind all the efforts. I assume that anyone willing to help is welcome; but you can contact Jill and ask.

Hi everyone:

The bear poppies are in full bloom and beautiful this year. I have several requests for a walk, so on Sunday May 2nd at 11am we will meet at Aliante Parkway and Grand Teton. Park cars across street by Waterfall. We will walk about 1/4 mile down to the bear poppies. Bring you cameras and water!!!...
When I walk where I'm from, we have to watch for bear poopy! The scat is usually filled with berries and is shockingly small for coming from such a large animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: