Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:28 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,105,648 times

Advertisements

hope they don't turn it over to Sgt Preston of the Yukon.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 08:29 PM

8 posts, read 40,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
So why didn't you sell the car and pay back your debt? Just saying. So many people blame everyone but themselves for their debts but they are the ones sitting at home with all the stuff they bought.
I did. It put food on the table when there was NO income.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I am so sorry! You left the US and left legally owed debt behind. Now a new love and you want to return. It is easily possible that your creditors turned over the books to a collection agency for cents on the dollar and that these agencies will use legal means to secure their claims. Please forget the rumor that after seven years debt so to say goes away. Have you read the questions for GC and citizenship applications? Pending legal issues may have an impact on "good moral standing".
I had no choice but to leave. I wasn't allowed to work in the US with any other company. You weren't in my situation so refrain from the particuliars. They can use all the "leagal" means they want but you can't get blood from a stone. I've already stated that I intend to meet my obligations with my debtors but that day will have to wait. I'd only move back to the US with a pending job offer and way to repay the leon. Citizen apps will be null and void if that does not happen

Old 01-01-2011, 01:32 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calintocda View Post
I had no choice but to leave. I wasn't allowed to work in the US with any other company. You weren't in my situation so refrain from the particuliars. They can use all the "leagal" means they want but you can't get blood from a stone. I've already stated that I intend to meet my obligations with my debtors but that day will have to wait. I'd only move back to the US with a pending job offer and way to repay the leon. Citizen apps will be null and void if that does not happen
Contrary to your opinion - you can get blood from a stone when the stone wants something.
Your particulars are of no personal interest to me. That you have apparently made no attempt to deal with your obligations and are still putting them on hold until something happens does not show a lot of responsibility in my book. An employer will run a credit history on you and then?

Old 01-01-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Contrary to your opinion - you can get blood from a stone when the stone wants something.
Your particulars are of no personal interest to me. That you have apparently made no attempt to deal with your obligations and are still putting them on hold until something happens does not show a lot of responsibility in my book. An employer will run a credit history on you and then?
Wow! So if my "particulars are of no personal interest" to you why are even bothering with this topic? I am not here to get your approval on my personal level of responsibility and you have no idea of what I have gone through. Obviously you are missing the boat here. And BTW, My credit report would only become applicable "if" I returned to the US. Unless you have anything constructive to add, then take a hike!

Old 01-01-2011, 02:12 PM

Well Threestep, after reading some of your posts, it sounds like you have an axe to grind with a certain country to the north?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,733,632 times
I don't know about the USA but I know in Europe if you have unpaid taxes and/or tickets, you can and will be arrested at the border and released when you paid it off.

I know from years ago that my boss was arrested at Schiphol airport coming back from a nice vacation in Spain and had unpaid tickets....

Old 01-05-2011, 01:11 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,677,380 times
The answer is it might stop entry. Part of the requirment to enter the US is that you will not become a burden to the US governement or citizens. having a past debt that was not paid isn;t good. having moved to another country after racking up the debt looks like you fled to avoid paying it and left the us company holding the bag. If the debt was reported and that info was picked up by immigrations, you can be refused entry to the US and sent back. I dont think you will be arrested because its a civil matter (unless some criminal charges against you were filed about it) but it goes to your character which could be used to deny entry.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:18 AM

109 posts, read 312,103 times
Debt is not reported to US Immigration, its a civil matter not a criminal matter if the original poster had a drug possesion or DUI of course it would be a problem. as She stated she could not work for another company in the USA and returned to Canada.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,413 times
Similar question - if US citizen, left with US cc debt and it's 14 years later and I want to go visit (moved to Canada) - ok so no hassles at the border, and as long as I don't apply for credit then the visit should be fine? What happens with that debt - you say it doesn't go away, but how would they know I'm there to visit - they would know if I reapply for anything right?
greenrr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration