Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 04:16 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,599,332 times

Advertisements

I have two foreign national friends...One from the Dominican Republic told me that she is not worried about the cost of applying for US citizenship. She told me her aunt became a US citizen after hiring a lawyer and the fee for citizenship (excluding the lawyer) was only 40$ Is that even possible? Or is that story simply wrong? She is married to a US citizen and will apply for naturalization after she is here only 3 years. How much is she going to realistically expect to cough up for naturalization?

My other foreign national friend has been in this country for 30+ years since he was a baby. He never got his US citizenship. He told me it was too expensive since he supports a wife and three kids on a modest salary. So I looked up on the gov website and it did say that the total fees for applying for US citizenship was 680 dollars! Is there anyway he can get around this high fee if he has been here just about his entire life?

So you can see why I want to know this...is there a way around the 680 USD that is said to be required to become a US citizen? Or can a lawyer or knowing someone get some strings pulled for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 04:30 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I have two foreign national friends...One from the Dominican Republic told me that she is not worried about the cost of applying for US citizenship. She told me her aunt became a US citizen after hiring a lawyer and the fee for citizenship (excluding the lawyer) was only 40$ Is that even possible? Or is that story simply wrong? She is married to a US citizen and will apply for naturalization after she is here only 3 years. How much is she going to realistically expect to cough up for naturalization?

My other foreign national friend has been in this country for 30+ years since he was a baby. He never got his US citizenship. He told me it was too expensive since he supports a wife and three kids on a modest salary. So I looked up on the gov website and it did say that the total fees for applying for US citizenship was 680 dollars! Is there anyway he can get around this high fee if he has been here just about his entire life?

So you can see why I want to know this...is there a way around the 680 USD that is said to be required to become a US citizen? Or can a lawyer or knowing someone get some strings pulled for you?
She is wrong.

I have a family member who works for a lawyer who specifically deals with Immigration Law and a friend who is an Immigration Lawyer. Trust me their clients pay a nice fat fee to the lawyer and all the USCIS fees as well. There is no way around it and as far as I am aware there are no programs that help with such fees.

I am extremely lucky to have someone in these areas to help me with my husbands paperwork and not pay a fee to a lawyer but I did/do have to cough up everything else required.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:12 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,692,752 times
A person living in US for 30 years cannot afford 680 dollars?
Quote:

Old 05-20-2012, 10:44 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,915 times
I just wrote the check the other day. $680.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:42 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Of course not. The stated fees are the stated fees. You can confirm them by going to the USCIS website which is linked in the first "sticky" on this forum page.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:47 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,773,022 times
Just went through it last year, $680 is correct.
Plus taking time off work to go to the fingerprint, then interview, then oath appointments, driving possibly several hours etc.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Plus taking time off work to go to the fingerprint, then interview, then oath appointments, driving possibly several hours etc.
After you sent in the app and other paperwork, how long did the rest of the process take?

Old 05-21-2012, 02:26 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,414,824 times
Quote:
Thats a nightmare and putting me off it for now too. 4.5hr drive to the office too I have.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:25 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,773,022 times
I got lucky- my office is Fort Smith, Arkansas, a small office. 3.5 weeks from sending off the docs to fingerprints, 7 weeks from there to the interview date, and 9 days from interview to oath, so total from sending off docs to being a citizen just under 3 months.

This isn't a centralised process, and your waiting times depend a lot on where you file. I know some people in NY who files the same month as me and only got the interview 4 months after I became a citizen, and oath several months later- their process took most of a year!

Old 05-21-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I got lucky- my office is Fort Smith, Arkansas, a small office. 3.5 weeks from sending off the docs to fingerprints, 7 weeks from there to the interview date, and 9 days from interview to oath, so total from sending off docs to being a citizen just under 3 months.

This isn't a centralised process, and your waiting times depend a lot on where you file. I know some people in NY who files the same month as me and only got the interview 4 months after I became a citizen, and oath several months later- their process took most of a year!
I've been here long enough now that it was either pay to get citizenship or pay to renew my green card. I don't know why I didn't do it before now, but after reading Brian's post...........yeah..........it was because getting here in the first place was a long, drawn out, expensive, frustrating, time consuming process and I hated the thought of dealing with those folks again.

We're moving to Wyoming in a week so I filed it with the address where we'll be living out there. Hopefully it will go as smoothly as yours did. We had to deal with Memphis TN last time and it was a nightmare.

I don't dare ever look in the illegal immigration section of this forum. It would tick me off too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration