Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,682 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!
Recently many troubles happened in my life,it made me look for any possible help anywhere,including this forum!I need help from lawyer or social worker!I'll describe you my situation.im new in USA,I got married to American citizen 2 years ago(I received temporary green card),I was deeply in love with my husband and it seemed mutual .a year ago I born baby.and recently his lover shamelesly showed up at my door step with a bunch of proof of their affair,which lasted for almost a year.my husband is not sorry for anything,he keeps on seeing his lover,despite my tears,humiliate and emotionally destroying me.Plus he threatens to take my baby away from me and to send me away from the USA.i lovemy child very much.so I'm searching for some counseling on this matter from a lawyer,or your advice where could I call to get some guidance .i need to know if I have a right to receive permanent green card and if my baby will stay with me in case of divorse.thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,772,246 times
Yes if you divorce you can get the ten year greencard, but you will need to prove you had a bonafide relationship with your husband- joint account etc.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,682 times
Thank you for reply.An who will have a right to take care of baby?in case I leave USA will I bE able to take baby with me?

Old 10-17-2012, 11:37 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,066,590 times
You need to talk to an immigration lawyer and possibly a divorce lawyer. Immigration first. Ask friends, family, coworkers, church members for advice and referrals. If you don't have those kinds of connections, look (google) for a local group of expats from your home country or region and try to meet with them. Ask them for advice on immigration and other legal issues as well as referrals to lawyers.

Lawyers should do free first-visit or telephone consults and if you can't afford to hire them, they might be able to refer you to someone who can represent you for free, or a government agency that can help. Don't trust that the lawyer will know what to do unless you have many people you trust vouching for them. Ask lots of questions and don't be afraid to say no or change to a different lawyer.

Don't discuss the specifics of your case with anyone but a lawyer. Don't make threats, do anything illegal, or put yourself in a dangerous situation with your husband or someone else.

If you are in a abusive relationship, the government can provide protection for you without jeapordizing your residency status. Do not be afraid to call the police or social services for help if you or your children are threatened, but don't call them unless you NEED help.

You should be able to convert to a unconditional permanent residency if you've been married for 2 years. Custody of the children will be decided based on what is best for the children if it goes to court. Hopefully you and your husband can work out what is best for the children (instead of what is best for yourselves) without going to court.

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSoul23 View Post
Thank you for reply.An who will have a right to take care of baby?in case I leave USA will I bE able to take baby with me?
If your husband objects, most likely you will not be able to leave with your child.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:27 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
The Immigration Attorney is your best choice and contact one immediately they are the ONLY ONES who can answer ALL of your legal questions and give you legal advice. No one here can do that.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:19 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,988,688 times
Hey, FreeSoul23, I hope you are doing ok.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,605 times
Hello.If i got my conditional resident card on 1/23/08 and only got my permanent resident card on 06/15/12(marriage)-when can i apply for citizenship?is it possible to apply for 5 years rule, or only based on 3 years marriage?
thx

Old 11-06-2012, 11:47 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,506,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volunjaka View Post
Hello.If i got my conditional resident card on 1/23/08 and only got my permanent resident card on 06/15/12(marriage)-when can i apply for citizenship?is it possible to apply for 5 years rule, or only based on 3 years marriage?
thx
The clock starts the day you got your conditional green card and since you got a green card through marriage you can apply for citizenship after 3 years. Basically you can apply now since you've had your green card for over 4 years. You qualified for citizenship on 1/23/11 - over a year ago.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,605 times
Thx for ur respond,but i heard that if i dont get my permanent resident right a way, my conditional resident card doesnt count as a 2 years of being permanent resident,since i got my permanent resinedt card only in two years....
so i dont know where is true.Thx for helping out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration