Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:30 AM

27 posts, read 76,799 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I have F2 visa in USA. I want to apply for travelling visa to Canada for interviewing. I don't know if I need an invitation letter for the application?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 09:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
This should cover it:

"Can F-2 dependents travel outside the US?
Yes. An F-2 dependent may leave and re-enter the US with a new or unexpired visa and properly signed I-20 forms. If the trip is to Canada or Mexico, and lasts less than 30 days, a visa is not required thanks to the automatic revalidation process. However, if the traveler applied for a new visa while in Canada or Mexico, and the application is still pending or has been denied, he or she will not be able to re-enter the US
."

Old 10-31-2012, 09:58 AM

thanks for your information.

Now I have F2 visa. so, you mean I can go to Canada directly? I still don't know if I need an invitation letter?

Thanks you!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddppss View Post
thanks for your information.

Now I have F2 visa. so, you mean I can go to Canada directly? I still don't know if I need an invitation letter?

Thanks you!
That's what it says - the US and Canada have a reciprocal agreement where those visas are concerned and you can travel freely between the two as long as your visa is valid and your visit doesn't exceed 30 days. No, you don't need an "invitation letter".

Old 10-31-2012, 10:19 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
No, you don't need an invitation letter from a Canadian citizen anymore since Canada has removed that requirement (as of summer 2011). However, now the visitor himself/herself has to work with the visa office and to prove that they will leave Canada after their visit. Sometimes, it's as lengthy process as was previously with the invitation letter. American citizens can just up and go, provided they have passport, but you will be considered a citizen of another country, and having to go through this channel:

Visiting Canada

Quote:
How to apply for your temporary resident visa

Obtain a temporary resident visa application package.
Read the instruction guide.
Complete the application forms and attach the necessary documents.
Pay the fee and get the necessary receipt.
Submit the application form and necessary documents.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
No, you don't need an invitation letter from a Canadian citizen anymore since Canada has removed that requirement (as of summer 2011). However, now the visitor himself/herself has to work with the visa office and to prove that they will leave Canada after their visit. Sometimes, it's as lengthy process as was previously with the invitation letter. American citizens can just up and go, provided they have passport, but you will be considered a citizen of another country, and having to go through this channel:

Visiting Canada
I believe the information you are giving is incorrect since the OP has an F2 visa which is recognized by the Canadian immigration authorities and thus negates the necessity of obtaining any temporary Canadian visa.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I believe the information you are giving is incorrect since the OP has an F2 visa which is recognized by the Canadian immigration authorities and thus negates the necessity of obtaining any temporary Canadian visa.
I think nuala is correct. The quote you provided is applicable only to the OP's F2 visa status. If they leave the U.S. to visit Canada (or Mexico) for less then 30 days, they don't need to get a new F2 visa to re-enter the U.S. It has nothing to do with their admittance in to Canada. If their citizenship require a VISA to enter Canada, they will still need to follow appropriate process to obtain a visitors visa to Canada.

check this link to see who need a visa and who are exempt: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Old 11-01-2012, 04:54 AM

Believe you're right and I stand corrected. OP needs to find out from the list provided whether his citizenship is visa exempt in Canada and, if not, get a TRV which is a simple enough procedure. The reference to the "invitation letter" threw me off.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:57 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
To the original poster.

Be aware that a Canadian employer MUST ask you, at the interview stage, IF you have the right to work in Canada, now.

If you do not hold a current Canadian work visa, or a Permanent Resident status card , you cannot be hired in Canada.

Further, it is against Canadian law, for a individual to come to Canada, as a VISITOR, and seek employment in Canada.

Follow the rules, please.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:00 PM

Hi Guys, Many thanks for your kindly response. I learn much from your posts.

STT resident, Could you please tell me the meaning of TRV?

Thanks again!
Today, 03:54 AM
[SIZE=5]STT Resident[/SIZE]

Today, 03:54 AM
Tt[SIZE=5]STT Resident[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration