Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 PM

14 posts, read 16,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Finish your 4 year Degree in the US and then move to Europe for Masters degree thru some scholarships. If you just want to live outside, citizenship is not required and student route is also not necessary. Have you ever been abroad? Go to some country like Germany, Ireland and see how it is living there as a tourist for few weeks. Then make a decision.
I would love to visit somewhere, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to while saving. |: But who knows, maybe I will be able to over the next couple years. (: I honestly did not realize until yesterday that you don't have to be a citizen to live somewhere.. :x haha. I felt pretty silly when I found that out. But I suppose it's just like getting a green card here. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
So many people seem to think that just because they WANT to move to another country, that other country will want to take them. The world (literally) doesn't work that way.

OP, if you have any close relatives who are from another country, you MAY be able to get citizenship that way. (EG my mother is British so I am a dual US/UK citizen. I think Ireland allows citizenship for anyone whose grandparents [or more recent relatives] are from there, but I could be wrong.)

It's very difficult to permanently move elsewhere unless you marry someone from there or (as I noted above) get citizenship through a close relative.
Yeah I really didn't think it would be this hard to move. Haha. But it's a good thing I guess. (: Unfortunately, my relatives all moved to the U.S a long time ago, so I'm sure that wouldn't really make a difference.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Save up $200,000 and buy a flat/house outright in Spain. You won't get citizenship, but you'll basically get the equivalent of a green card. Spain is part of the EU, and I think that with the equivalent of a Spanish green card, you would be eligible to live anywhere in the EU, which means you could then move to the UK without much trouble. I think Ireland has something similar, but it's closer to $800,000.

It is very difficult to move to another country (legally, at least). You either need a LOT of money (hundreds of thousands), or you need a very specific skill that is desirable in addition to being something not easily found by a citizen there, or you have to marry a citizen there. And you have to remember that when going to the UK, your money is not exchanged favorably - meaning your $45,000 here would only end up being around 27,000 pounds there, which is not much at all.

Having a student visa won't guarantee that you'll be able to work over there, either. And upon graduation, the only way you could stay there legally would be if a company over there hired you, which I think would cost them time and money, because they would have to request a visa for you. It would be easier for them just to go with a British applicant, or at least someone from the EU.

Your best bet would be to look at what US companies have offices in the UK/Europe/Japan, etc., then go to school and get at least a Bachelor's Degree in a subject that could get you a job at one of those companies. Get a job at one of those companies, and eventually ask for a transfer to an office abroad. It will be a long process, but other than that, you'll either need to have hundreds of thousands in fluid funds that you can invest in UK businesses and put in a UK bank, or you'll most likely need a Master's Degree and enough experience that someone over there would actually sponsor you as their employee, or you would need to marry someone from the EU.

As someone else pointed out, you could possibly get citizenship depending on if your parents or grandparents were citizens of the country you're trying to move to.
I think schooling would be a lot faster than saving the money to throw 200k into a house! That would be much simpler though if I had the funds. And wow I didn't realize converting would take that much. The value of the dollar is just going to lower too. I will look into U.S. companies in other countries though, thanks for the suggestion. (: It seems no matter how I go about it, this will be a long process! My grandparents were all born here as far as I know. I will have to ask about my dad's side. My grandmother might have come from Italy. But I'm not sure if that would be relevant.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:22 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,803 times
The Spanish "green card" won't give you any rights to move to the UK. Only citizenship of an EU country would give you that right.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:42 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
OP, this might sound too obvious, but I'd also recommend first seeing if you'd just like somewhere else in the USA better. I don't know where you're from, but some areas of our country can be pretty radically different. If you want to "get away from the crazies" I assure you there are many places in the USA that aren't crazy.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:13 AM

326 posts, read 471,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macysdayparade View Post
My boyfriend and I are planning to leave the U.S. and are considering somewhere in Europe, Japan, or Canada. It seems the hardest part about moving away from the U.S will be getting citizenship elsewhere. With every government website I've looked at it seems that it will be almost impossible to get out of the U.S within two or three years. Both my boyfriend and I are planning to have an associates before we move and will have roughly $25,000-45,000 saved up before we make the move- closer to 45k if I sell my car. Would it be impossible for me to move to another country with only an associates? Or would it be best to stay here for four years and finish school and then make the move? Any opinions or comments on what it's like to move out of the U.S would be much appreciated.
if you are planning to move, i would consider getting a citizenship in an EU country because if you do, you'll be able to move to any other EU country, no questions asked.. Germany, UK, France, Spain.. whatever you want. the easiest ones are Belgium (3 years of residence) or Ireland (4 years, but they speak english so you'll fit right in).. you should be able to get a work permit in any of these countries because getting a work permit isn't as anal as it is in the USA. Ofcourse if you plan on Belgium you'd also have to learn French, or Dutch, depending on which city you fancy. i would recommend getting some experience in your associates subject since unemployment is still quite high. other than that its just a matter of getting an interview and then getting accepted.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:08 AM

24,521 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macysdayparade View Post
I'm still not sure as to what I want to get my degrees in. I'm currently taking general classes that will apply to most degrees. I do agree that many degrees are useless though, unfortunately. I'll look into different careers in those fields. I wonder if vets are in demand in other countries?
Some countries allow vets to practice with respective approbation, others only with approbation and citizenship.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:45 AM

440 posts, read 867,134 times
If you do not have citizenship through descent you will need a student visa ....you will then pay international student rates which are always higher...on top of that you will need to show that you can cover your living costs and will also need to factor into that the cost of healthcare....most countries will not allow you to use there's if you're not there on an appropriate work visa or a legal permanent resident. The process for becoming a citizen in the UK is a long process...I speak from experience--even longer than becoming and american citizen ...both are costly processes too so you would need to factor that into costs as well. Every country has there requirements but generally you need a degree in demand . I would suggest getting your degree in the USA and then working for a while here and then start applying to overseas jobs that are willing to sponsor you and get you a work visa . In the meantime travel when you get a chance and get a feel for the countries your interested in....some places look good on paper but when you live there for a while they are not as rosy os they first appear.COL is a big factor compared with COL in the USA. FYI I have travelled extensively around the world -lived in Australia/UK/NZ/and USA and worked in all and spent 4 years working and traveling through Europe

Old 02-20-2014, 09:09 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
The Spanish "green card" won't give you any rights to move to the UK. Only citizenship of an EU country would give you that right.
Or being the spouse, or an under-age 18 child, of an EU citizen who has residence (or is seeking to work and reside) in another EU country.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry12 View Post
if you are planning to move, i would consider getting a citizenship in an EU country because if you do, you'll be able to move to any other EU country, no questions asked.. Germany, UK, France, Spain.. whatever you want. the easiest ones are Belgium (3 years of residence) or Ireland (4 years, but they speak english so you'll fit right in).. you should be able to get a work permit in any of these countries because getting a work permit isn't as anal as it is in the USA. Ofcourse if you plan on Belgium you'd also have to learn French, or Dutch, depending on which city you fancy. i would recommend getting some experience in your associates subject since unemployment is still quite high. other than that its just a matter of getting an interview and then getting accepted.
Not so fast. A non-citizen does not qualify for citizenship in an EU country without first qualifying for temporary and then permanent residence. This is where the high hurdles lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration