Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 02:57 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

I am an immigrant, and I thought - and still think - that Los Angeles' mix of cultures is a huge part of what makes it worth being here. The food, the music, watching people by-and-large getting along, it's awesome. Kimchee on tacos, it needed inventing.

The income disparity is a bit glaring at times, but show me one place that doesn't have a darker aspect somewhere.

That being said, with respect to your young lady: 2 years in is just about where the second culture shock sets in. That's when the things that annoy you aren't even new any more, and you realize that the stupid way the locals insist on bagging their groceries (or running their bus system, or not having proper licorice - it's always something inconsequential that sneaks up on you) is your reality now and just how it will always be.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 08-14-2015 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 03:38 PM

89 posts, read 110,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
This is one of the dumbest topics I have ever read. My parents immigrated here from Brazil, so you are saying, they shouldn't have? Who the hell wants to live in a country where you have one type of food, one type of culture, one way of doing things.
Brazil is a bad example because it is very ethnically diverse. (I have no beef with immigrants and that is not the meaning of my post.) I am just talking about the overwhelming experience my new friend from Korea had when she moved from a totally homogenous environment in Korea to a city in the USA that has people from hundreds of countries, speaking countless different languages, and practicing many different religions.

People who become immigrants to America from many countries are used to living in a very homogenous environment. America with all it's economic, racial, religious and cultural diversity may be exciting to some people who grew up here and are used to it, but completely different to people who are used to living in homogenous communities overseas.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:47 PM

89 posts, read 110,665 times
Finally a response from someone who is an immigrant looking at my question from an immigrants perspective. But I wonder if other immigrants who came from more homogenous environments are as flexible and easy going about it. I doubt it. Many of my African American friends tell me that the recent immigrants from Asia treat them with more contempt and discriminate against them in far greater frequency than American born whites. Maybe the immigrants never got the memo that it is not correct to discriminate against people because of their color or are fearful because they are not use to the ethnic and cultural diversity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I am an immigrant, and I thought - and still think - that Los Angeles' mix of cultures is a huge part of what makes it worth being here. The food, the music, watching people by-and-large getting along, it's awesome. Kimchee on tacos, it needed inventing.

The income disparity is a bit glaring at times, but show me one place that doesn't have a darker aspect somewhere.

That being said, with respect to your young lady: 2 years in is just about where the second culture shock sets in. That's when the things that annoy you aren't even new any more, and you realize that the stupid way the locals insist on bagging their groceries (or running their bus system, or not having proper licorice - it's always something inconsequential that sneaks up on you) is your reality now and just how it will always be.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:34 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,305 times
Well, I'm from Germany. Diversity wasn't a shock to me. Although I was a little surprised by the lack of effort of many immigrant groups to learn English. I thought it would be different than back home. A lot of immigrant groups in America do not want assimilate and create parallel societies just like in Germany.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:02 PM

361 posts, read 333,713 times
I find most countries that are very homogeneous very boring. Sweden is an example of a country that I visited and even though I liked it a lot, it is boring

If anything, the large number of Iranian immigrants you see in Stockholm brought more positives to Swedish society than negatives.

Same thing could be said about Germany, I think the Turkish influence is for the most part positive. Doner kabob today is probably the most popular "German" dish and everybody appreciates it.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:02 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Just because one calls attention to the massive legal immigration that came from the 1965 Immigration Act does not mean we aren't ok with legal immigration in "reasonable" numbers. I guess if we oppose massive legal immigration then that makes us anti-immigration? Give me a break! Add the above to massive illegal immigration and it is a recipe for disaster which makes us a "mutt" nation with no soul or identity anymore. One can see from the OP's example of a foreigner coming here and being shocked at what they saw. It's because most countries do not allow that nonsense and they do have a soul and an identity because of that.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:11 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
I find most countries that are very homogeneous very boring. Sweden is an example of a country that I visited and even though I liked it a lot, it is boring

If anything, the large number of Iranian immigrants you see in Stockholm brought more positives to Swedish society than negatives.

Same thing could be said about Germany, I think the Turkish influence is for the most part positive. Doner kabob today is probably the most popular "German" dish and everybody appreciates it.

Heck, 40 years ago I had the same reaction when I moved from southern California where I grew up to a rural area in Oregon.

1) "Egad, everyone here is blindingly white!"

2) "Why can't I get a decent enchilada or some kung pao tofu? Where's the jazz/blues bar?"

Old 08-14-2015, 06:12 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
No habla English!

Old 08-14-2015, 06:22 PM

624 posts, read 379,011 times
I was still a baby when I immigrated here. Culturally, I am mostly American. But I associate with a good amount of immigrants who came here much later. My wife came here as an adult.

The biggest thing to her is how PC everyone is. Everyone is thin skinned and offended about everything. It wasn't really like that when I was growing up, so I tell her that's a pretty recent phenomenon.

She likes the cultural diversity. She hates the idea that sometimes immigrants expect Americans to cater to them. Be proud of your heritage, but don't force others to change for you.

A lot of immigrants I know are also perplexed about the work ethic of many Americans. Americans truly have no idea how good they have it. There are so many opportunities that aren't available in other countries. It's a shame that some Americans can be convinced that they don't have the opportunity to be successful. But some immigrants can come here and barely speak the language, but in 10 yrs they can build something for their children.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:24 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,762 times
I came to the States few years ago and I really like the diversity here. One day you date an asian and next day blond girl. A lot of different types of food, music, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.