Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 03:37 PM

997 posts, read 710,713 times

Advertisements

I took the Civics test in 2017. When you go for the Biometrics test, you will receive a Civics Test Booklet with CD. Listen to the CD over and over and memorize the answers to each questions. Have a system ready, like if you get asked to name 3 of the 13 Colonies just remember states that are close together, like DMV (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia). There are lots of online sources of help.

I'm a native English speaker. The actual test is only 5-6 questions. I got asked real easy ones like Name the ocean on the East Coast of the US? What is the voting age? 18 Test questions were also scrolling on a screen in the waiting room for the Interview.

The officer can determine if you know English simply by interacting with you as he goes through your application with you.

You should know that if you become a citizen with intentions of one day going home; you have to pay US taxes even if you are not in the US.
I applied the end of January, Had Biometrics test in mid February; Had my interview in the middle of August, and ceremony on Aug 31. I dealt with the Baltimore office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 03:26 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
You can practice them and learn them here. They ask about 5-6 questions.

https://civicsquestions.com/

Old 09-02-2018, 10:08 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
We just got our citizenship in February. The whole process took less than a year. Applied in July, biometrics in September, interview in January. But times vary depending on processing center, as others said.

We started studying only a month before the interview. I have no problem remembering information but tend to forget it fast if it’s of no use to me. Everyone learns differently. The test is not that difficult IMHO. Most of it is common knowledge. But you definitely need to study. There were some questions I had no clue about.

Good luck!

Old 09-03-2018, 09:59 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukumjacka View Post
Most of these questions are common knowledge. Some are a bit harder. Like your representative and senator. It's funny that they ask people who don't have the right to vote, who their neighbors elected.

You can stop laughing.

I didn't vote for Abraham Lincoln, either, yet I'm expected to know a few things about him. There's nothing onerous in the expectation that prospective citizens learn about certain representatives, despite the fact that, as non-citizens, they aren't allowed to vote.

But your implication that non-citizens should be able to vote came through loud and clear.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:19 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
[/b]

You can stop laughing.

I didn't vote for Abraham Lincoln, either, yet I'm expected to know a few things about him. There's nothing onerous in the expectation that prospective citizens learn about certain representatives, despite the fact that, as non-citizens, they aren't allowed to vote.

But your implication that non-citizens should be able to vote came through loud and clear.
There's nothing odd about knowing who important historical figures are. I had to go look up who my congressman is. I've never heard, seen or known about anything of value, good or bad that he's done. I don't think the poster is saying non-citizens should be able to vote at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration